Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 01:09 PM

47 posts, read 19,143 times

Advertisements

I spoke to my rabbi today and she’s fine with me not getting circumcised. She says it won’t affect my conversion at all, and Jewishness isn’t defined by whether you’re circumcised. She personally knows a few converts who aren’t circumcised so it’s all good.

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 03:08 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaztheger View Post
I spoke to my rabbi today and she’s fine with me not getting circumcised. She says it won’t affect my conversion at all, and Jewishness isn’t defined by whether you’re circumcised. She personally knows a few converts who aren’t circumcised so it’s all good.

Thanks all
Do keep in mind, though, that a conversion conducted by a non-Orthodox rabbi and beit din will not be viewed as being valid in Orthodox Judaism. If you have no plans to join an Orthodox congregation in the future, then "it's all good." Otherwise, you would have to go through the conversion process a second time. Also, if you should visit an Orthodox shul, you must abstain from counting yourself as part of a minyan. Your rabbi has probably already informed you of this, though.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Do keep in mind, though, that a conversion conducted by a non-Orthodox rabbi and beit din will not be viewed as being valid in Orthodox Judaism. If you have no plans to join an Orthodox congregation in the future, then "it's all good." Otherwise, you would have to go through the conversion process a second time. Also, if you should visit an Orthodox shul, you must abstain from counting yourself as part of a minyan. Your rabbi has probably already informed you of this, though.
I fully understand and I intend to stay within the reform community anyways so it is all good. And I understand the implications of the fact that my conversion will only be recognised within the reform and liberal communities

Old 08-16-2022, 04:48 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times
Quote:
I fully understand and I intend to stay within the reform community anyways so it is all good. And I understand the implications of the fact that my conversion will only be recognised within the reform and liberal communities
I figured you may have already known this, but I thought I would put it out there, anyway.

I hope that you will continue to come to our Judaism forum both for information and fun. We have Jews here from different backgrounds and levels of observance, and I welcome you to our little community.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:04 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
The same issue would be relevant for immigrating to Israel under the Law of Return as far as I know.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The same issue would be relevant for immigrating to Israel under the Law of Return as far as I know.
Reform Jewish converts are accepted and plus since my dads family is mainly Jewish I can immigrate to Israel anyways.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:46 AM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Reform Jewish converts are accepted and plus since my dads family is mainly Jewish I can immigrate to Israel anyways.
Under the Law of Return, one Jewish grandparent is all you need.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Under the Law of Return, one Jewish grandparent is all you need.
Yes, my dads mother is Jewish and his father is half Jewish

Old 08-17-2022, 07:53 AM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Yes, my dads mother is Jewish and his father is half Jewish
If that’s the case, then wouldn’t you already be considered Jewish under Reform tradition? Or do you just feel strongly about going through the conversion process because (I’m guessing) you weren’t raised Jewish?

Old 08-17-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
If that’s the case, then wouldn’t you already be considered Jewish under Reform tradition? Or do you just feel strongly about going through the conversion process because (I’m guessing) you weren’t raised Jewish?
Reform Judaism stipulates the patrilineal child has to be raised Jewish. I wasn’t raised Jewish so I have to convert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism