Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 07:32 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Today's tough trivia tease!

What well-known family lived in this house, and what still-standing building did this house make way for?

Quote:
Margaret was the family member responsible for donating the home's location for the new building, although she never lived there.
Would it help if I mentioned Margaret's last name?

I'll whisper it in case some of you don't want the hint.

Swope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
To my recollection, I had not heard of either the Arrow Rock or Kentucky Hills country clubs.
The Kentucky Hills Club was along the north side of Colonel Drive, a few blocks west of the Kentucky Hills Thriftway we discussed some pages ago.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:03 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:
The Kentucky Hills Club was along the north side of Colonel Drive, a few blocks west of the Kentucky Hills Thriftway we discussed some pages ago.

It looks like the outline of a pool is still there from looking at Google Maps.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Isn't that further west from 40 and Noland?

I dont recall it but I recall a Roger Maris Indoor golf place along Highway 40 that was interesting.

You would step up in a cubicle and drive a ball and hit a huge screen that had a picture of a green at, say, Pebble Beach.

The computer would determine the speed of the ball and the direction and one would play golf--sort of.

I tried it with some friends and none of us were impressed. This was around 1960 way before computers ever became a part of anyone's life.

The price was expensive and the process may have not been that accurate. His enterprise did not last long.

Also in that same area was a series of batting cages where you could load a pitching machine with a number of baseballs and then take batting practice. I never could hit the fast or medium.

The fast ball seemed to make a buzzing noise as it went by and I whiffed at it.

The Roger Maris simulated golf course and the batting cages were on the south side of US Forty somewhere between Noland and Crysler--perhaps in the area of Cool Crest.

The simulated golf was indoors and the batting cages were outside. The cages had mesh netting dividing each batting cage. The mesh was all around including the top. I recall going more than once so they must have been around for a while. They were lit up for night use.

Roger Maris was something of a golfer. As much as I can recall, the Roger Maris simulated golf was something that Maris lent his name. I don’t believe he invested so he made out whether the company went belly up or not. The one on US 40 was a franchise. I did not even know what a franchise was back then, chuckle.

Once you drove the ball into the screen, the screen changed locations to reflect the power and the direction of your drive. This went on until you got to the cup area.

Once you got on the cup green, there was a cup surrounded by artificial turf that you putted the ball into, similar to miniature golf, to complete the round.

A couple years ago, I saw a reference to the Maris simulated golf effort but have not been able to find anything on the web lately.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:11 PM

While y'all continue to scratch your heads over my mystery house, I thought I would allow you to wax nostalgic. Tomorrow is the opening of Santa-Cali-Gon, whet your appetites with this blast from the past (1941).

Old 08-28-2014, 05:10 PM

320 posts, read 310,168 times
In case you don't want to read the book, here's the movie;

http://youtu.be/Rjl4QM4X7xo

Old 08-28-2014, 05:42 PM

This is not directly related to Independence, but does anyone remember the comic book advertisements for the “98 pound weakling” back in the fifties?

At the beach, a scrawny under nourished guy was having sand kicked in his face and lost his girlfriend to a much heavier and in better shape guy.

The point of the advertisement was to sell Charles Atlas body building courses. One clipped a blank order from the comic book and sent off for information on Charles Atlas body building courses.

A good many comic books had the full page advertisement. The ads were printed from the 1940s through the ‘70s.

The ads appeared so often that they became a topic of conversation among both the girls and boys laughing about some guys being a 98 pound weakling.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
While y'all continue to scratch your heads over my mystery house, I thought I would allow you to wax nostalgic. Tomorrow is the opening of Santa-Cali-Gon, whet your appetites with this blast from the past (1941).

I am going to stick my neck out and say that the raccoon(?) hatted individual holding the muzzle loader in the crook of his arm is Raymond Blake. Blake owned the almost always closed museum located at Walnut and Kansas where the Blue Grey Book store is today.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:35 PM

320 posts, read 310,168 times
Quote:
Would it help if I mentioned Margaret's last name?

I'll whisper it in case some of you don't want the hint.

Swope.
William Chrisman High School, on the south side of Maple Avenue, built in 1918, was named for William Chrisman because his daughter, the late Mrs. Logan Swope, gave the old Chrisman home, which stood next to the school where the Maple Wood Apartments now stand -- she gave that property to the school board with the understanding that it be named for her father. The old mansion, the old Chrisman mansion was razed, and another addition of the high school was built there. Margaret Truman was a student there.

Even if this is not the right answer, I find it interesting that The Van Horn mansion was demo'd to build the high school and the Chrisman home the same.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
William Chrisman High School, on the south side of Maple Avenue, built in 1918, was named for William Chrisman because his daughter, the late Mrs. Logan Swope, gave the old Chrisman home, which stood next to the school where the Maple Wood Apartments now stand -- she gave that property to the school board with the understanding that it be named for her father. The old mansion, the old Chrisman mansion was razed, and another addition of the high school was built there. Margaret Truman was a student there.

Even if this is not the right answer, I find it interesting that The Van Horn mansion was demo'd to build the high school and the Chrisman home the same.
CONGRATULATIONS! You are the lucky winner. You now have FREE admission to this year's Santa-Cali-Gon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City