Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think we were talking about religion, were we? The fact remains, Johnson County is conservative compared to the rest of Kansas City.
I would say the Missouri-side suburbs are more conservative than Johnson County, especially overall. Like xeno said, I think JoCo is more fiscally conservative. Socially, I think it's more 'live and let live' (read: socially liberal). It's not as simple as presidential voting patterns either. A lot of folks who vote Dem are socially conservative but do so out of the interest of unions, for example, which is surely true of much of the population in the Missouri-side suburbs. If it weren't for union interests, I think a lot of those who vote Democrat would otherwise tell Dems to take a hike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROYALS View Post
My parents are both retired and live in Connecticut. They love Connecticut, but are tired of the high taxes and high cost of living. The politics in CT can get a little annoying as well. Ironically, even though I was born and raised in CT, I am a Kansas City Royals fan due to Bo Jackson. On a recent trip to the Kansas City area, I got a good feeling that my parents may really like it out there. My parents are pretty simple. They don't want to do Arizona or Florida because they don't want 10 months of brutal heat. My dad especially likes to have four seasons.

I was thinking that Overland Park or Olathe would be a great choice. I don't know too much about the Missouri side as I stayed in Overland Park. I am definitely more familiar with the Kansas side. I do like Kansas very much. I will explore the Missouri side on my next trip.

Basically they are looking for somewhere that is nice to retire to and has lower cost of living. Low crime and quiet neighborhoods are important. They would like to have a decent sized yard, but not be 100 miles from civilization either.

Any suggestions/recommendations on nice towns or suburbs for retirees?
The Missouri-side suburbs may be a better fit, depending on what your parents care about. For example, Johnson County, KS, is better for people who want Whole Foods and an absolute ton of upscale restaurants and retail nearby. The Missouri-side suburbs have all of the above, but are simply closer to average. You can generally get a lot more house for the money on the Missouri side too. I do believe the Missouri-side suburbs are more conservative overall. Most of the Missouri-side suburbs are small towns that have blossomed into full-fledged suburbs. Most have historic cores. Further, Johnson County is hustle-and-bustle being a corporate hub and large population. The Missouri-side suburbs are a bit slower. I wouldn't rule out differences in landscapes, either, even on the Kansas side. Our area has two major rivers with several smaller rivers, with lots of bluffs, outcroppings, forested areas, several relatively large lakes, and even the southern extent of landscape carved from glaciers.

Last edited by MOKAN; 07-06-2012 at 10:52 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Lee Blvd in Leawood between 103 st and 79 st reminds me the most of CT so you might include that area on your list..
OP never said he was looking for a place like Connecticut. In fact, he specifically said he wasn't looking for that.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:02 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
If it weren't for union interests, I think a lot of those who vote Democrat would otherwise tell Dems to take a hike.
That we agree on!

Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
OP never said he was looking for a place like Connecticut. In fact, he specifically said he wasn't looking for that.
By JOCO standards that area is scenic and good RE deals can be found. It sounds like an area that the OP should put on the list.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:19 PM

37 posts, read 59,180 times
Seriously, I thank everyone on here for their help. Many people took the time to offer great advice on the KC area both on the Missouri and Kansas sides. That really speaks volumes about the good quality of people in that area. As I said, I live in Seattle, but I am going to try and meet my dad there when he checks it out in September. I am already craving Jack's Stack and Gates. I know that is pathetic.

Also, I know this probably has been asked 1000 times, but how are the winters there?? Can they be brutal like NYC and Boston?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:15 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROYALS View Post
Seriously, I thank everyone on here for their help. Many people took the time to offer great advice on the KC area both on the Missouri and Kansas sides. That really speaks volumes about the good quality of people in that area. As I said, I live in Seattle, but I am going to try and meet my dad there when he checks it out in September. I am already craving Jack's Stack and Gates. I know that is pathetic.

Also, I know this probably has been asked 1000 times, but how are the winters there?? Can they be brutal like NYC and Boston?
Winters? If you blink, you'll miss it. It's the summers that are brutal.

Seriously, opinions vary widely depending on your perspective. KC natives who have never experienced Northeast snow belt winters flock to the grocery stores to lay in an extra week's supplies when any snow is forecast. I always grinned and shook my head.

There is so little winter in KC that I lived there 11 years and never used snow tires.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:15 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
Last winter was barely anything. Some years there can be a big snow or two that can stay on ground for a while but for the most part it's 3-4 smaller snowfalls each winter and some years a doozy ice storm or Oct snow, which brings trees branches down because trees still have leaves. KC does have the sunniest winters in the Midwest/East - it can be <20 degrees a times yet sunny, which is not as depressing. People here freak out if there's a week w/out sun - they have no idea it's worse in most of the Midwest/East.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:54 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Last winter was barely anything. Some years there can be a big snow or two that can stay on ground for a while but for the most part it's 3-4 smaller snowfalls each winter and some years a doozy ice storm or Oct snow, which brings trees branches down because trees still have leaves. KC does have the sunniest winters in the Midwest/East - it can be <20 degrees a times yet sunny, which is not as depressing. People here freak out if there's a week w/out sun - they have no idea it's worse in most of the Midwest/East.
That is definitely the case. I lived in Michiana for awhile, Valparaiso, IN area. Anywhere near the Great Lakes is just as cloudy if not more cloudy than the Pacific Northwest. If you get one sunny day every two weeks in the winter if you're lucky. KC, I believe, is the gateway to the Sunbelt. If you look at the average annual hours of sun Kansas is the leading edge of much higher values. I'm not a big sun person at all due to a medication I take as I prefer most of my sun during winter and clouds during the warmer months. Oh, did I mention I need winter sunlight, preferably with a bright snow cover

Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 AM

267 posts, read 618,364 times
To the OP, you will want inner JoCo. Very treelined, close to amenities both in south JoCo and in KCMO if you choose to venture there. Very quiet too (a few areas around SMWest can be sketch, but most everything else is VERY safe). Lots are average sized, you can have a nice flat backyard if you get a 1950s ranch somewhere in north OP. Or depending on budget and desire for newer home, do a teardown/rebuild.

I'm younger, and most younger people in Johnson County fear the police themselves far more than any "crime". It is that safe here.

For your purposes, avoid the Missouri side, and Wyandotte County (which is north of 47th st). It sounds shallow yes, but JoCo is the best part of the metro for lack of crime and quietness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City