Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:33 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times

Advertisements

Shallow, yes. True, no. Loads of places on both sides of the state line would provide what your parents are looking for, OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 05:36 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
To the OP, you will want inner JoCo. Very treelined, close to amenities both in south JoCo and in KCMO if you choose to venture there. Very quiet too (a few areas around SMWest can be sketch, but most everything else is VERY safe). Lots are average sized, you can have a nice flat backyard if you get a 1950s ranch somewhere in north OP. Or depending on budget and desire for newer home, do a teardown/rebuild.

I'm younger, and most younger people in Johnson County fear the police themselves far more than any "crime". It is that safe here.

For your purposes, avoid the Missouri side, and Wyandotte County (which is north of 47th st). It sounds shallow yes, but JoCo is the best part of the metro for lack of crime and quietness.
Do guys really say "sketch" nowadays? It seems feminine. I don't feel that the SM West is unsafe at all. But if we start telling people that and it spreads, we might just make it that way.

Your advice is rancid and shows your lack of knowledge of the rest of the metro.

In my humble opinion, the Missouri-side suburbs are actually the best for quietness, for sure, and probably lack of crime too. That's not to say there aren't areas of Johnson County tucked away that are just as quiet, but overall the Missouri suburbs have a lot less going on, and that is a fact. Johnson County is a major corporate hub with a ton of hotels and highrise office buildings and a couple of the busiest highway corridors in the metro run right through its center. The Missouri-side suburbs are more isolated and disconnected small towns that have grown into suburbs rather than a huge contiguous landscape of 500,000 people like Johnson County. Most in the Missouri-side suburbs commute out of them and into the city or to Johnson County for work. So looking at all I've said, which makes more sense to be quieter and have less crime? The Missouri-side suburbs or Johnson County. Think about what you're saying. Will all the activity, I'd imagine JoCo has more crime. By the way, Wyandotte County also has options - it provides some of the most scenic settings and semi-rural living options in the metro, as well as decent inner areas near the Plaza, Westport, and Midtown KCMO. You should drive through northwest KCK along 435 sometime and see the landscape the highway winds through, even if you're scared to get off. Not to mention, KCK has a solid new area of shopping, dining and entertainment with the Legends and Village West.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:57 PM

12 posts, read 95,977 times
Agreed that Overland Park or the Kansas City area is a great place to retire. I am only 32, but I knew a former co-worker who retired there after working in NYC, but lived in CT and loves it. He hated Florida on the other hand. I have been to KC a few times and it is a cool place to live.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 AM

82 posts, read 174,439 times
The advice you are getting on this thread that the Missouri-side suburbs are more this way, that the Kansas-side suburbs are more that way, is simplistic at best. There is quite a bit of variation to be found on both sides of the state line in terms of topography, traffic congestion, presence of trees, blue-collar versus white-collar vibe, and so on. My suggestion for your parents when they come to visit is that they sit down and chat for an hour with a real estate agent or someone else who knows the area well and is able to offer a balanced view of both sides of the state line.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:46 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Why would a real estate agent be expected to offer a more "balanced" view of the state line? Quite the opposite I should think. The motives of some here might be suspect, but we already know the agent's motivation: Sell you the most expensive house they can.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 AM

82 posts, read 174,439 times
Precisely for the reason you suggest. The agent's motivation is to understand what the buyer is looking for and to suggest a house and neighborhood that will result in an offer. The agent won't care where that is. Of course the agent wants to make a commission. Don't you think the OP knows that?

I'm not an agent, or connected with the real estate business. I have gotten useful information from agents when I've moved into a city.

What I'm really saying is that the OP's parents should spend time with a person who doesn't have an axe to grind about Missouri versus Kansas. On this forum, especially, many posters harbor a bias against one state or the other.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeb View Post
The advice you are getting on this thread that the Missouri-side suburbs are more this way, that the Kansas-side suburbs are more that way, is simplistic at best.
Agreed. For virtually everything you can find on one side of the state line, you can find an equivalent on the other. It just comes down to the vagaries of personal taste, preferences in architecture, preferences in atmostphere, etc.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:02 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bealtlebones&smokinstones View Post
Agreed that Overland Park or the Kansas City area is a great place to retire. I am only 32, but I knew a former co-worker who retired there after working in NYC, but lived in CT and loves it. He hated Florida on the other hand. I have been to KC a few times and it is a cool place to live.
We get a lot of people from NYC and NY who retire to the Lakes Region of NH. A cost of living that is about 1/2 of the Tri State Region and high caliber quality of life for a wide range of housing types and prices. Access to conservation lands are also invaluable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City