Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 01:35 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,405 times

Advertisements

We don't everything yet, apparently. Zaxby's (chicken tenders) is opening 12, yes, 12 locations in Johnson County, one in Lawrence and a few others in the area soon. Another chicken fingers place, Raising Cane's, is opening in Westport and Overland Park soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 03:01 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
One to watch if they enter the regional market, Modern Market, health-conscious counter serve cafe. Based out of Colorado and expanding on a larger scale.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-25-2016 at 04:27 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 03:03 PM

Sweetgreen, chain for salads and wraps, still in coastal markets only, is quite good.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-25-2016 at 04:26 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
We don't everything yet, apparently. Zaxby's (chicken tenders) is opening 12, yes, 12 locations in Johnson County, one in Lawrence and a few others in the area soon. Another chicken fingers place, Raising Cane's, is opening in Westport and Overland Park soon.
Zaxby's is average at best, they don't have many healthy options at all or any gluten free choices either.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:08 PM

Piada Italian Street Food, customizable Italian fast food chain from Ohio, will be one to watch if it further expands nationally.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-25-2016 at 04:26 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 03:18 PM

Other chains that are expanding that haven't entered the KC market yet include: Burger 21, Tokyo Joe's, Fresh To Order- Deli-Style American Fare, Larkburger, Little Greek Fresh Grill, Chronic Tacos, Flippin' Pizza, Sub Zero Ice Cream and Yogurt, Costa Vida Mexican Grill, Salsarita's Fresh Cantina, Teriyaki Madness, Smiling Moose Deli, Cheba Hut Toasted Subs, Muscle Maker Grill, Milio's Sandwiches, Roti Mediterranean Grill, Russo's New York Pizzeria, Umami Burger, Saxbys Coffee, Zoup! Fresh Soup, Wayback Burgers, Wing Zone, Gandolfo's NY Deli, Freebirds World Burrito (In KC, TabulaRasa), Newk's Express Cafe, Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers (Coming Soon From RadioSilence), The Habit Burger Grill, Cafe Rio Mexican Grill, Uncle Maddio's Pizza Joint, PizzaRev, Pie Five Pizza Company, MOD Pizza, 800 Degrees Neapolitan Pizzeria, VertsKebap Berliin-style doner kebabs and sides, Luna Grill Counter Serve Mediterranean Eatery, Tender Greens Modern Cafeteria, Boloco Tex-Mex Restaurant, Peet's Coffee and Tea, and Salata (Create-Your-Own Salads.)

These are the ones to watch right now.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-27-2016 at 06:04 AM..

Old 02-26-2016, 10:42 PM

30 posts, read 22,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Other chains that are expanding that haven't entered the KC market yet include: <snip> Peet's Coffee and Tea

These are the ones to watch right now.
If they set up east of Troost, awesome.

Who am I kidding? If I want coffee on my side of the 'hood, it's going to be me having to open a coffeehouse.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Freebirds has been in the KC metro for several years, now. There's one in Westport and a couple in JoCo.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:05 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Pie Five is already in Kansas City.

I wouldn't mind an In-N-Out, but I just know it wouldn't be as good as the In-N-Out I have to travel to California for!

Old 02-27-2016, 06:22 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
Wow. What's with all the chicken places lately? First Slim Chickens opened in Overland Park and another one is scheduled for Prairie Village. Then Gus's Fried Chicken opened a few weeks ago. And of course we already had Stroud's.

I tried all of them recently. Stroud's I hadn't eaten for a few years but the last time I tried it, it wasn't very impressive. Actually pretty bland. When I tried it again a few weeks ago I WANTED to like it, but it was really pretty mediocre, bland, and MORE EXPENSIVE than it used to be.

Slim Chickens was okay. Decent price for a chicken meal and you can substitute other sides (fried pickles, fried okra, fried mushrooms, mac and cheese, coleslaw, potato salad) for fries. I did feel disgustingly fat after eating it; kind of a heavy meal - but I guess you expect that with fried chicken, right?

Gus's Fried Chicken was okay, but expensive. Chicken meat seemed fatty to me, more fatty than I'm used to with fried chicken. I ordered 12 pieces of chicken, fried okra and mac and cheese and it was over $40. The chicken is spicy and maybe a little spicier than I would like, then kind of fatty meat. But the flavor was pretty good. The okra was good. I didn't taste the mac and cheese but my husband wolfed it down and said it was very good.

So if there are going to be 12 Zaxby's in Johnson County, and we already have Stroud's, and Slim Chickens, Gus', not to mention Popeye's and Church's Chicken and Buffalo Wild Wings (and don't forget Go Chicken Go!), I wonder which of these chicken places are going to survive and which are not? If I had to pick one of ones I mentioned above, I'd pick Slim Chickens for good chicken and decent price.

I will try Zaxby's when it arrives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City