Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 03:09 PM

56 posts, read 166,559 times

Advertisements

My wife, 9 year old son, and myself have been in Maui for three weeks. I'm a travel RN and work here in Maui (while my wife vacations and schools my son, lucky her )

Anyhow, we absolutely love Maui thus far. We love the people, culture, food, beaches, outdoors, etc etc etc. Don't want to get sidetracked, but the people here have been gracious and the nicest people we have met in our travels thus far.

My current work contract has awhile yet, September 11 to be exact. However, last night we were talking about the other islands and where we might move next if the option presented itself, ie: a travel assignment becomes available.

Chances are The Big Island, Oahu, and Maui will have openings. Maui has already asked me to extend. We have visited The Big Island and like it. We haven't been to Oahu and not sure we want to. We really want to see Pearl Harbor, but big city life is totally opposite of our taste.

So that brings up Kauai......if the opportunity becomes available, should we consider?

Again, the things we love most about Maui are the people, culture, and the outdoors. From my research (and it's been small), Kauai has these things as well, correct?

Just wondering if someone can give me a comparison of similarities and differences between Maui and Kauai? We plan on taking a short trip over the next month if it seems like someplace we might enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 09:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokauai View Post
I can say from a frequent visitor's point of view to Kauai and Maui that you will find all that you love about Maui will also be found on Kauai....but even more friendly people full of Aloha and more natural beauty than you can imagine !!!
A visit would be highly recommended to see for yourself. Aloha
I definitely agree Kauai has striking natural beauty. To give a balanced perspective - day to day living is more expensive in Kauai and you'll likely make more money as a nurse in Maui rather than Kauai.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 AM

227 posts, read 919,943 times
I have lived on Kauai for the past 4 years now. I took my 2 girls to the Heava in Maui last summer and had a great time but it was much browner then Kauai. You have a lot more conveniences in Maui then here and a lot more to choose from. But for overall beauty in my mind Kauai wins by a mile. I always hear here complaints that there are no good restaurants and for the most part it is true.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:19 PM

15 posts, read 49,768 times
Kauai is AMAZING! My favorite place on the planet. I really wish I could have live there instead of Oahu, but I took a few trips there. The people are more friendly than Oahu. And the scenery is just...mind-blowing. There is a decent artsy scene.

I, again, never lived on the big island, but I visited and had a friend live there for about 9 months. Take in mind he's a single mid-twenties guy but he was bored out of his mind. If you're not into living the 'country-life' then you'll become sick of the big island quick. While there are beautiful places on the big island, everything is really spread out so it's a journey to whatever you want to do (and the drive is a boring one, generally).

Oahu is OK, but it is more 'big city' type. The city is generally Honolulu, and the farther away from there you get the less congested it is.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:45 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,900,413 times
Live(d) on Maui for a good while, but have visited and LOVED Big Island, Kauai, and Oahu (not to mention frequent trips to Lana'i and Moloka'i, which we also love).

Maui and Kaua'i are different but share many characteristics that are different from the BI or Oahu (north shore). Both have a lot of undeveloped, "natural" land. But Kaua'i has large rivers (where Maui has only "seasonal" rivers), and Maui's towns are more concentrated along the few "major" roads, while Kaua'i is more "spread out." (We spend more time going point-to-point on Kaua'i than on Maui.)

That said, Maui and Kaua'i seem ostensibly more similar than Maui or Kaua'i and the Big Island. BI -- in tourist areas -- is similar to Maui and Kaua'i, but elsewhere seems "wilder." MUCH bigger than M or K, more spread out along (the few) roads, and it has all of the various temperature and climate/terrain zones, but spread along a much larger area. [I always say we call it the "Big Island" for a reason. Ahem.]

Each island is beautiful and has its own culture and atmosphere. Maui seems slightly more "touristy" than Kaua'i, but I've only been there as a visitor. The Big Island seems wilder still, but it is MUCH larger, more spread out, and (once one is used to the "local" culture), just seems like a more settled/intrinsic location. (Possibly partly due to its relative remoteness, e.g. Hilo? And I mention that -- with all of the aloha in the world -- for you as a prospective "outsider.")

We live on Maui, obviously, and as West End residents ALWAYS feel we should welcome and encourage healthcare professionals to stay. Still, we know and appreciate that having skilled professional people here helps everyone.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai