Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:41 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times

Advertisements

True, KonaKat, chickens do have a pretty good entertainment factor, don't they? Does anyone know if the feral chickens are more entertaining than domestic chickens? Or perhaps they'd be more skittery and not stick around in the yard to be watched as much? I've never had feral chickens so I can't compare them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:44 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
On the negative side, living on Kauai the feral chickens eat everything in my garden, eat the bananas hanging on the plants, scratch up all the flower beds and crap all over the patio furniture.

PS: PS, did I metion they are noisy?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 PM

How about fencing the back yard and garden and getting a dog? That might keep the chickens out. I fence my chickens out of the garden but they are the domestic type of chicken and don't fly over the 3' tall fence. We have our hens and two border collies in the back yard. The dogs keep any chickens other than our own out of the yard. They also chase away mongoose, but Kauai doesn't have those, does it?

Does Kauai have coqui frogs? I keep fantasizing about chickens eating those wretched frogs. Having feral chickens and coqui frogs would be a bit too much, in my way of thinking.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:19 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times
No frogs here (knock wood). No mongoose. LOTS of chickens. And a 3' fence wouldn't keep all of them out, I don't think (maybe some). You can cage your plants or your whole garden; we put circles of stones around our pineapple plants and it keeps them from scratching at the new dirt and digging up the roots.

They are noisy. They eat the mangoes, papayas and other produce about 2 seconds after it falls. They dig in the garden. They poop everywhere, as Balad1 said.

But they also eat centipedes and the chicks are kind of cute. They add atmosphere to the island.

I go back and forth on whether I actually consider them a net plus or minus.

Oh, and my son is getting much better with a compound bow (he's 14 now), but I think he's decided NOT to try to shoot a chicken. I'll keep you posted.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:17 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
And I would agree with hotzcatz, that I'd rather eat eggs from a source that knows the whole chicken life and egg handling process from start to finish.

Saw this today, and thought, "I sure am glad I get eggs from the farmer's market and not factory farmed ones!"

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/08/19...=Google+Reader

Old 08-19-2010, 12:18 PM

That's precisely why everyone should get their eggs from a local source and their backyard if possible. When any produce - eggs, milk, meat, lettuce, etc., - is centrally processed and something happens to contaminate the processing procedure the results are huge and widespread.

Add in commercial growing practices which use growth hormones, feeding offal (mad cow disease), melamine in the feed, etc., even if the food isn't damaged by the processing plant it was damaged before it even got that far. We are eating as locally as possible and as non-processed as possible these days.

Something that is more scary is the big food corporations are trying to get "food safety" laws in place which would limit and almost outlaw backyard gardens and family farms. If that happens, you may be really glad the Kauai chickens are "feral" and outside the laws. That would be one food source that would still be available without having to pay to eat.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 9,999 times
Research can be funded by people with an agenda. As an MD you should know this...

Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 AM

3 posts, read 9,999 times
Just in case you didn't read the whole thread, someone said "various studies" have proven free range chicken eggs are more likely to carry salmonella, a bit like saying, "someone told me"

Old 08-31-2012, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,028 times
Default wild chicken eradication

First of all, any chicken that is not kept in a cage or pen, is wild. You must keep them contained, if they belong to you. Otherwise, it's ok to kill them. They are nasty & a nusiance. Harboring wild chickens pose a health & noise nusiance and will result in a citation fine. The most effective and humane method of eradicating wild chickens, is to use a pellet gun with a scope. Wait until they roost, right before sunset. Make sure children, pets, etc. are not within the range of your pellet. Practice your sharp-shooting skills with a paper target. Always retrieve and dispose of the dead chicken.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:21 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Salmonella isn't a problem with eggs, wild or not, if you rinse the shell before you crack the egg and you cook the egg.

Wash your hands after handling the egg, the chickens, the coop, and the poop.

I will eat raw eggs from my own birds because I know their health and their care. Other eggs, no. Other eggs are always cooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai