Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:00 PM

688 posts, read 1,490,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahavisnu View Post
And I might add that some of them are among the nicest people in Knoxville, assuming you're not too intimidated to strike up a conversation.
I wouldn't pay any attention to this "gem of wisdom" (Eclectic Hearing Aid, I mean Auditory Nerve). He is always dissing Ky. and seems to have contempt for it, and likewise I have contempt for the rediculous b.s. that is put out by said "gem of wisdom". Tenn. is a fine state as far as this Ky. Medical Professional is concerned, and gets a clean bill of health from me.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:52 AM

9 posts, read 23,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I truly hope I don't offend any friendly Tennesseeans, although I am very plain-spoken.

For all this chatter about Tennessee being a warm, hospitable state, I find my home state of Kentucky to be at least as warm and hospitable, if not more, than Tennessee.
I would have to disagree with you on this point. I lived around Somersety/Lake Cumberland my entire life (except 5 years overseas and a few in Cincinnati while going to college), and have to say that the environment I am seeing in Knoxville in just 2 months here, has already far surpassed anything experienced in ky.

KY's not full of bad people or anything, it's just that the mood/mentality is completely different. Alot of nosey people there, alot of people that don't like you because you're smarter than them, or because you may have nicer things. Jealousy is the worst thing that hurts that place, it reigns down from every angle.

Here in Knoxville, the ratio of college grads is probably 4-5 times higher than back home, and there is no hostility towards people based on material things. Of course there are those things that exist, it would be naive to suggest otherwise, but the overall environment is 100% better

Old 11-22-2010, 01:58 PM

621 posts, read 1,615,912 times
I grew up just east of Tampa, spent 35 years there. We moved here two years ago last week and we (my fiance' and i) love it here! For all of these reasons. The people here are very friendly. The only comment i can make about Florida is no one is actually FROM there.. they move to Florida from some other place, most of the time. My mom is a third generation Floridian, my dads from Nebraska. So, it's not entirely their fault....some of us are good people and were raised with manners!
Actually, we are getting married in Hernando County in three weeks, and when her parents can sell their house and not lose their shirts, they want to move up here too!

Old 11-22-2010, 02:20 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothertntony View Post
I recently spent several days in downtown Knoxville with a group of friends who had never been to Tennessee. All of them commented on how friendly and warm the people are.

Also, downtown Knoxville has come a long way since I moved several years ago!

Hasn't it, though? My husband's uncle moved to Seattle about 22 years ago. He moved back recently and stayed with us for a few months before he found a place in Knoxville. He was VERY apprehensive about the town, no matter HOW much i'd told him it had changed. He was very pleasantly surprised to see what K'town has become.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:00 PM

812 posts, read 1,676,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
The only comment i can make about Florida is no one is actually FROM there..
{clearing throat}

Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 AM

621 posts, read 1,615,912 times
Well, except me and my brother, lol.. and mom...
Yeah, there are some Florida natives.. but most are transplants...

Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 PM

851 posts, read 2,458,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
Well, except me and my brother, lol.. and mom...
Yeah, there are some Florida natives.. but most are transplants...

And my husband (but now in Tn), his mom & dad, brother and sister were born and raised in FL , my dad and all of his family were born and raised in FL(most of the ones left are still there). I was 6 weeks old when my mom moved me there and 50+ years later moved to TN about a month ago.
But like you said, most are transplants.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Our daughter is a native, and she insists that she is a Southerner and a Floridian with a great love of Tennessee and all things UT. All 10-years of her. She's very independent. I have no idea where she gets that from, bless her heart.

Hey, I think I just described JMT!

Old 11-26-2010, 07:10 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
im LOVING this thread...
i read and hear so much about tn folks having bad attitudes particualrly to northeners...
and i keep telling people its all in the attitude YOU have, if you go to a state expecting to be treated like dirt, you will likley manage to find all the unfriendly people!

its all about how you treat people, offer a frinedly smile and get one back, and this thread gives me an extra dose of faith that TN is just like that.

i cant wait to come visit in the spring...

im not religious, and im not super patriotic but i am a warm friendly (all be it "shy") person and im hoping that warmth is enough to meet some of those equally warm people who make an area so much nicer to be apart of!

Old 11-26-2010, 01:49 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i read and hear so much about tn folks having bad attitudes particualrly to northeners...
Just curious about where you have read and heard so much about the bad attitudes you reference, but which, imho, are incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville