Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:54 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, my parents are moving to Knoxville after spending the last few years living in China. They're native Floridians and hate what Florida has become.

Anyway, my mom commented tonight how much she loves being here in Knoxville compared to back with all the surly jerks in Citrus County, Florida. Everyone here is so friendly. And it's not a saccharin / fake friendly.
  • The paint clerk at Home Depot (East Town) is a U.T. student who ended up telling my parents about his life's ambitions and what he wants to do when he graduates.
  • The appliance salesman at Lowe's (East Town) spent an hour with my parents looking at appliances. When they were done and he found out my folks had been missionaries in China, they spent another half hour talking about Jesus.
  • At Wendy's on Broadway in North Knoxville, the cashier called my parents "hon" and gave my dad a vanilla Frosty when he said he didn't know there was such a thing. The sky fell in as we were finishing our lunch, and the cashier came out with her umbrella to walk my parents to their car.
  • The produce guy at Food City (East Town) stopped what he was doing and helped my mom pick the right kind of apples when she said it had been years since she'd made an apple pie.
  • The teenagers at Subway invited my parents to the Fulton HS basketball game and called my parents "sir" and "ma'am."
  • My parents' new neighbor (Whittle Springs area) invited my parents to her Sunday School. When my mom thanked her and said that they already attend Sunday School, they laughed and hugged each other.
  • The server at A Taste of Havana Cuban restaurant in Fountain City gave us free guava pastries when my parents said they used to eat guava pastries as kids growing up in Tampa.

Granted, my parents tend to bring out the best in people. Yet in Florida these days they run across mean, surly old people with attitudes, some of whom have made fun of my parents' Southern accent (IN FLORIDA!!!!!). Even though my parents can't stand cold weather, they are already happy to be here in East Tennessee amongst so many friendly folk.

I just thought I'd share this with anyone who's wondering if living here is worth it.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,076,014 times
JMT, thanks for sharing your parents feelings about how friendly the people are here. I have encountered the same friendliness and politeness also....

Old 03-05-2008, 08:18 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times
No surprises there! I found the same thing. I hope it doesn't change.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:41 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,351,428 times
JMT,
I have to agree with you and your wonderful post. It also doesn't surprise me that your parents bring out the best in people, look at how their son turned out!
Pam

Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 PM

83 posts, read 275,063 times
I loved reading this story about your parents. I personally had the same experience last July. My husband, two boys and I came to visit TN for the first time for a marine corp gritogether. The first thing I said when we stopped in TN was how nice everyone was. We too are from FL. It is truly hard to find southern hospitality in FL. On our way home last summer we decided we are moving to TN. We are planning our second trip at the end of the month to start looking in East Tennessee to narrow down a city. I want to thank everyone who lives from Chattanooga to Johnson City for their friendliness. And hope that they will continue to be so nice to some new neighbors. Thanks again for the post.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:03 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
The moral of this story is plan extra time when running errands!

What in the world were you people doing at Subway? Bleah!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:04 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
The hairdresser that worked next to my hairdresser I recruited and now works with me.
My favorite Target cashier now works with me.
My Kroger meat man now mows my yard.
And the list goes on. I love living in the south!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times
I wonder why people who can't seem to make friends in the south don't check out this thread? It's proof that it's possible to make friends...if you're willing to open up and accept their friendship.

I guess it's easier to complain.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:18 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,329,215 times
Great story JMT! It is not only a testament about the great people of TN but a lesson of how folks who move here should acclimate. Pay it forward so to speak. It could be as small as checking behind you when walking through a door to see if anyone is behind you to hold the door open for them as well. If everyone adds those little things into their daily lives, TN will continue to be just as friendly. Attitude is contagious so make sure you pick a good one.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:56 AM

24 posts, read 68,568 times
that is so sweet! my husband went to florida and they asked if he was from the south. he asked them just how much further south did they have in mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville