Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:56 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,246,239 times

Advertisements

Hm, that Wiki article states a groom's cake is a Southern tradition. I had no idea.

As far as the original topic goes, I am back again for Sundown in the City on Thursday! Can't WAIT to be back on the couch. But this Thursday is The everybodyfields. They are very good, hella chill. Saw them in Jonesborough several weeks ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 01:41 PM

38 posts, read 181,688 times
World's Fair Park
WORLD'S FAIR PARK : : KNOXVILLE, TN

Questions -
- Can we go into the sunsphere? (Some students told me no...but, seems like a yes from the info on the website)

- I see on the events calendar on the world's fair website that all UT football games are listed. Why is this? Do they show the games on a big screen in the park? Maybe I don't need season tickets after all!

Old 06-25-2008, 02:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychic View Post
World's Fair Park
WORLD'S FAIR PARK : : KNOXVILLE, TN

Questions -
- Can we go into the sunsphere? (Some students told me no...but, seems like a yes from the info on the website)

- I see on the events calendar on the world's fair website that all UT football games are listed. Why is this? Do they show the games on a big screen in the park? Maybe I don't need season tickets after all!
Yes, you can go to The Sunsphere. I did, and you can probably guess the rest. I had an anxiety attack.

A coworker and his wife were the first couple to get married in The Sunsphere. It was on the front page of the local paper!

Knot tied sky-high : Unknown : Knoxville News Sentinel

I don't know anything about the UT games. I'm athletically challenged.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 PM

UT games anyone? Does anyone know if they show these in the park? It's on the World's Fair Park's event calendar - so I'm confused. Or, is UT football such a large event that the park has blocked off these dates as "fair warning"? lol.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,748 times
Quote:
UT games anyone? Does anyone know if they show these in the park? It's on the World's Fair Park's event calendar - so I'm confused. Or, is UT football such a large event that the park has blocked off these dates as "fair warning"? lol.
I've never heard of the games being shown at World's Fair Park. So, although I'm not positive, I'd say no.

The park is really, really close to the university - you can be on The Hill in about five minutes, and Neyland Stadium is just a stone's throw from there.

To say that football is "a large event" is somewhat of an understatement. People in Knoxville live and breathe everything related to the University of Tennessee, and game days downtown are quite an experience - you won't find a better atmosphere at any other college football stadium in the country. To give you an idea of the numbers, Neyland holds roughly 102,000 people on any given Saturday, and the city of Knoxville has a population of about 180,000. The stadium becomes the fifth-largest "city" in the state of Tennessee when fully packed. So yes, to sum up, football is a big deal.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:26 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
I've never heard of the games being shown at World's Fair Park. So, although I'm not positive, I'd say no.

The park is really, really close to the university - you can be on The Hill in about five minutes, and Neyland Stadium is just a stone's throw from there.

To say that football is "a large event" is somewhat of an understatement. People in Knoxville live and breathe everything related to the University of Tennessee, and game days downtown are quite an experience - you won't find a better atmosphere at any other college football stadium in the country. To give you an idea of the numbers, Neyland holds roughly 102,000 people on any given Saturday, and the city of Knoxville has a population of about 180,000. The stadium becomes the fifth-largest "city" in the state of Tennessee when fully packed. So yes, to sum up, football is a big deal.
Yeah I think they have UT football games marked on the calendar just as fair warning to anyone who's even remotely considering going anywhere near downtown on days when UT has a home game. But I do think it would be a lot of fun if they set up a big screen TV on Market Square to watch football games!

On a side note, now that Clarksville has a population of over 110,000, Neyland Stadium becomes only the sixth largest city in the state on game days. We should do something about that.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yeah I think they have UT football games marked on the calendar just as fair warning to anyone who's even remotely considering going anywhere near downtown on days when UT has a home game. But I do think it would be a lot of fun if they set up a big screen TV on Market Square to watch football games!
I completely agree. I know there are plenty of people in the area who would love to see every home game, but time/ticket prices/etc. don't always permit it. It could be something like the big screens you see crowds watching throughout Wimbledon - you're not really seeing the action first-hand, but I'm sure it's a blast regardless.

Quote:
On a side note, now that Clarksville has a population of over 110,000, Neyland Stadium becomes only the sixth largest city in the state on game days. We should do something about that.
This… is very disconcerting to me. The stadium is "only" going to hold about 101,000 after the renovations, so unless Clarksville shrinks somehow, I think we're out of luck. Too bad.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:44 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,239,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes, you can go to The Sunsphere. I did, and you can probably guess the rest. I had an anxiety attack.

A coworker and his wife were the first couple to get married in The Sunsphere. It was on the front page of the local paper!

Knot tied sky-high : Unknown : Knoxville News Sentinel

I don't know anything about the UT games. I'm athletically challenged.
hee, I went in the Sunsphere when they were still talking about whether or not they were going to open it back up again. needless to say, the observation deck was still in all its 80s ugliness.

why did you have an anxiety attack? was it the height?

Old 07-02-2008, 06:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
So - maybe not the ultimate - but it'll hopefully grab some folks attention.

I know that people post events as they come up, but I've been having a difficult time just knowing what events occur in Knoxville in general, and finding regular year-round things to do in one easy & convenient place. I've checked into some of the Knoxville city website for touristy type info, but in addition I'm looking for insider tips on what locals like to do for fun!

Will folks please post your top however many must-see/must-do's?

Anything counts: from visit a certain restaurant, to viewing a sunset at X location, to catching a concert. If you do it for fun - or think it's a Must-SEE/Must-DO - please list it!

Admittedly, I'm stealing your ideas for fun & leisure - but I need help! LOL.
How old are you, generally speaking? You know a 20 somethings idea of must see, must do may not be the same as a 60 somethings idea of must see, must do and vice versa.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:07 AM

I wanted this to serve as a Must See / Must Do for everyone - so all posts are welcome. From visiting a certain bar, to a knitting cafe, to a kid-friendly whatever. Everything is up for grabs because age is so darn limiting sometimes.

My friends think I'm "boring" because I am totally content drinking a sweet-tea in a rocking chair w/ a good book or my laptop. But, to answer your question...I'm 25 years and counting. My partner (hubby of 3 years) and I mostly enjoy driving around and looking at real estate. That's a night on the town for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville