Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 PM

17 posts, read 25,902 times

Advertisements

I have noticed noticed a few of us on here. I love TN and wouldn't move for anything! lol However, the thing I miss about NJ is, the food lmao. I really miss some of the food back home and was wondering if anyone here knew where I might be able to buy some. I am talking about scrapple, pork roll, tastykakes, panzarotti's, Rita's waterice, fresh baked kaiser and hoagie rolls etc. Anyone know of a few places that might sell them? I keep making jokes and telling my husband I am going to NJ for a grocery run and I "might" stop in to see the family lol. I'd appreciate any locations. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 AM

396 posts, read 1,311,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyRose View Post
I have noticed noticed a few of us on here. I love TN and wouldn't move for anything! lol However, the thing I miss about NJ is, the food lmao. I really miss some of the food back home and was wondering if anyone here knew where I might be able to buy some. I am talking about scrapple, pork roll, tastykakes, panzarotti's, Rita's waterice, fresh baked kaiser and hoagie rolls etc. Anyone know of a few places that might sell them? I keep making jokes and telling my husband I am going to NJ for a grocery run and I "might" stop in to see the family lol. I'd appreciate any locations. Thanks

Pork roll.....Mmmmmmm! I wonder why that is so hard to find anywhere outside of the northeast. I remember smuggling three large, frozen rolls on an airplane (back in 1995) to Illinois for my sister. She got all her neighbors addicted! I told her she should open a bagel shop and sell pork roll, egg and cheese sandwiches! Now that's good stuff!

But I have to admit, I've become quite partial to fried green tomatoes topped with grits and gravy!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 AM

32 posts, read 137,475 times
Dear KellyRose and LilCabinGirl:

What's a pork roll? I know what scrapple is and I've had Tastycakes (I love their little spice cakes - do they still make them?) but I don't know what a pork roll is. Is it possible that down South we make them and call them another name? Oh, and LilCabinGirl, I have a great family recipe for fried green tomatoes if you want it.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 AM

Pork roll kind of looks like...a smaller version a bologna lol...but it tastes nothing like it, it is very delicious. You can serve it just like LilCabinGirl said, or with just cheese on a kaiser roll....yummy. I just wish I knew of a place to get some around here, I really miss it at breakfast.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:33 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,704 times
I would think that you would have the best chance of finding some of this in west Knoxville. I have seen fresh baked Kaiser rolls and scrapple somewhere...

Old 07-07-2008, 04:43 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times
I lived in NJ till I was 25 and aside from the hoagies, I don't know what anything on that list is. I miss the abundance of Snapple, Dutch Mill donuts, all those bagel shops and great pizza. Knoxville has a nice mix though - they try harder to please than Sevierville does.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:25 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
Have you tried Fresh Market for pork roll? They've got a good deli, all things considered.
Super Target in Farragut is a possible.
Fresh Market or Panera probably has fresh hoagie rolls.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:44 PM

I am going to have to mapquest fresh market, I have never heard of it. I don't get to Knoxville often, my hubby hates the traffic from our county til Knox county.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:19 PM

396 posts, read 1,311,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyRose View Post
I am going to have to mapquest fresh market, I have never heard of it. I don't get to Knoxville often, my hubby hates the traffic from our county til Knox county.
Well, don't miss what you had, enjoy what you've got! I am eating from one side of Knox to the other and enjoying all the great new food that is the essence of good ole southern cooking!

That's the best part of moving someplace new. It's like getting the chance to live a whole new life. New places go, new things to see, new things to eat...that's the fun of moving.

And then go to Sequoyah Hills park to walk off all that good food!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,704 times
This thread brings up a good point that I have been meaning to expound. Grocery stores cater to their demographic; a Kroger in one area of town may be quite different from one in another. Never underestimate the power of talking to the GM of the grocery store. Let him know that his demographic is changing. A good GM wants your business; tell them what you would like for them to carry, slipping in the comment that you would like to do all of your shopping at his store rather than multiple stores (even if the other stores don't carry it either). If they are able to get it in (they aren't always), shop at that store and buy it on a regular basis. Those little club cards the give out? They're also used to track the demographics of their stores. I have gotten some good results this way and nearly trained my local Food City, though side trips to Fresh Market and World Market are still necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville