Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 04:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times

Advertisements

H10, I just want to add my ramblings.

Yes, there are people in East Tennessee that have been here for GENERATIONS.

Yes, there are $300,000 homes next to falling down trailers. Living next to a mobile home does not mean that you are blue collar. If you want, you and I can take a tour.

I agree about the seafood. I am from new England and I can get fresh, American seafood at the Shrimp Dock, and sometimes even at Food City. (I am going to eat Atlantic haddock tonight!) But that is not the point of this discussion! MBMouse is saying to quit complaining about Knoxville. If you think it is better elsewhere, then move there.

I would rather die than eat Walmart food, but that is a whole other discussion that doesn't belong in the "Tell me Something you don't like about Knoxville" thread.

Poor grammar is not necessarily an indicator of low intelligence. It can be a lack of an education. Ever meet someone that has poor grammar but can pull out an engine and put another one in in a few hours? I'm married to that man.

I think that some of the people that expect $50,000 homes in Knoxville think that things here are REALLY cheap. I don't know. That really puzzles me.

Just my thoughts and not a debate. Have a wonderful day, H10!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:52 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Very, very good sushi about 6 miles south of the airport:
Lemon Grass

And I just can't resist this one: we're so smart here that we don't even need college degrees to make latte's much less masters! :P
I tried Lemon Grass the last time I was in town and I was a little disappointed. The service wasn't that great and I have had better sushi. We have a wonderful dipping sauce here (in Florida) and it is too die for. We might have to bring Kobe's with us to TN.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:57 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
And there in lies my point hahahahahahha

Old 09-19-2008, 04:45 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Yep mb, point made for sure.

<sigh>

This is TN folks, this isn't North Florida, South Jersey, the inner coastline or whatever. Like it or leave but keep your "my way is better" yap to yourself. (so happy mb opened that door for me ) Obviously we're doing something right here since y'all are wanting to flock to our towns.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:30 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raitch in michigan View Post
What are the things I need to consider before relocating to knoxville area??
You need to consider whether sweating your butt off in the Knoxville area in the summer is better than shoveling snow in Michigan in the winter.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:07 AM

811 posts, read 2,009,926 times
Quote:
OMG, I was SOOO going to say the same thing.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticfire0213 View Post
OMG, I was SOOO going to say the same thing.
Me, too.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:11 PM
H10

89 posts, read 308,108 times
Quote:
H10, you are correct, this is a Knoxville sub forum and I was speaking of it and it's surrounding areas as well such as Dandridge, Jefferson City, Strawplains, Maryvile, etc. More of a regional look. sorry about that. There have been a lot of requests on here for info about an outlying place to live so they can have that house on 2 acres and easy commute to Knoxville for work. That is why in my mind it is an entire area folks ask about not just a city.
I was saying that at the expense of myself and not you. I think that it is great to inform people about the outlying areas here, I just meant that I have no knowledge of their offerings.

Quote:
As for:
Quote:mbmouse
Originally Posted by mbmouse
I hate to be so blunt, but here it is: Yes, the population is majority white middle class
Quote: H10
I'm fairly certain that is true of essentially everywhere in the United States...

You lived outside of Miami.....I lived further North in FL than that, but you and I both know the majority is not by a high margin there.
Have you been to Detroit? How about San Antonio? Beverly Hills? No, there are a lot of cities in this country where the population is not majority white middle class. A lot of them are very one sided. I addressed this because for some unknown reason, people ask about "diversity" but they are really asking about the color and/or economic status of the area. I am proud to say it is all mixed up in this region and I like that. From that aspect I think this is one of the most diverse regions of the country.
As for the 10 plus generations I was speaking of the farmers and original land owners, there are still a lot here in the outskirts of the cities trying desperatly to hold on to that.

Well, I lived in the suburbs, north of Miami, but Miami itself is predominantly white and middle class. 67.4% makes a majority, and that's Miami's Caucasian percentage. And as far as middle class goes, I consider the vast majority of Americans to be there. Anything above poverty and below 8-figures in the bank is middle-class to me (and many researchers in the field).

Quote:
Add: OH! I forgot to comment on what you said about things to do. Yes, you are right, there are MANY ways you could spend your money and have the spa's, CC's and so forth here, I totally agree! However there are some who want that and only that and don't want to go to those free concerts because of who they might have to sit next too at that function. Then there are others who want only the freebies and begrudge those spa goers. I don't understand why people can't handle having both? It seems like no matter what, it is never enough of what one or two groups want. Those who like the stores and frills always want more and those who can't afford that always wants to see less of it. I guess it is just human nature, and very hard to just be happy with what you've got?
I really think that's just nonsense. You're right, but anyone who thinks that way is just very ignorant.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:39 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
How is it possible that no one has mentioned the dire lack of a place to surf? I have a perfectly good wetsuit doing nothing but keeping me warm in the winter.

Though any place that has not yet attracted an eatery conceived by Wolfgang Puck surely would get two forks up.

And the lack of a Trader Joe's is truly a travesty, though Costco is coming soon! Since Sam's is here, the initial memberships will probably be free. Another good thing.

And maybe I'm behind the times, but I don't consider seven figures middle class. Lower upper, maybe, and they aren't earning it in Knoxville. They're bringing it with.

Other than that-- what they said.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post

And maybe I'm behind the times, but I don't consider seven figures middle class. Lower upper, maybe, and they aren't earning it in Knoxville. They're bringing it with.
Yup. I wonder what text book H10 found that in?

Just kiddin' ya, H10!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville