Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:24 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times

Advertisements

First I'll mention that I haven't been a newcomer since I was 3 and I'm not going anywhere except on vacation. So I hope this gives me the right to post something negative. When I first saw this thread I thought oh what a great idea because we all lovelovelove our little city but it's naive to say it's perfect. If it were, everyone would move here, prices would skyrocket, traffic would gridlock, and we'd lose our easygoing way of life.

Of course everyone has a different idea of what is a downside so this thread could help someone who is thinking about what is important to them.

Anyway : back to negative things about Knoxville. #1 for me is air pollution. #2 is distance from a beach. Now I can live without a beach but I can't live without a mountain and a mountain stream. I'm creeksitter, not beachsitter, after all. #3 is not enough secondary roads have sidewalks.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:54 PM

851 posts, read 2,457,451 times
JMT - Thank you. I'm with you on that.
Gemkeeper - I agree with you too about the HOA. Some people want to live without all the rules. Telling them what they can do with the land that THEY paid for. And others like that way of life-HOA is the place for them. Imagine what a boring world we would live in if everyone wanted the same thing, ate the same thing, wanted to live the same way.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 25,684 times
We love Knoxville- but don't try to compare it to large cosmopolitan areas. This is still a pretty small city and most of us don't want it to be an Atlanta or New York City, but with a lot to offer. There are lower taxes, less traffic and pretty peaceful way of life. From the Smokys to UTK football, great restauants, more golf than you can possibly play, the Tennessee river, mild climate, lower cost of living and a very scenic area - you can find you niche. We moved from CT 14 years ago and have really have not regretted it. After raising our kids in the Farragut area, we now live in Tellico village-20 min out of Knoxville. My husband sails almost daily- yes, there actually is wind in the summer, plays golf 3 times a week for about $30 for 18 holes- it is a pretty good life.
Yes, there are down sides- long allergy season , this is the bible belt and very conservative -if you are liberal it may take some getting used to, TN overall is pretty poor and with that come many social problems, schools are not great, but again, if you know all that and want to make it work, this is a great place to live.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:43 PM

75 posts, read 233,714 times
We just moved here from Atlanta recently, and miss the restaurants and shopping. We have tried over a dozen restaurants, and just cannot find great food. We find good food, just not great (so if anyone has any recommendations for great, let's hear it!!). Also, the clothing stores here are not very good, and the one higher end clothing store (MS McClelland I think its called) is way overpriced.

That said, Atlanta's only a few hours drive for all of this, and to escape the sprawl and traffic of Atlanta, its a small price to pay. It is also very nice being so close to the Smokies.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:28 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Not speaking directly to anyone in particular but to everyone that comes here and starts complaining...... that is what turns the locals off. That is why people all of a sudden generalize that they don't like Floridians or Northerners or wherever folks came from; they didn't like being poked by the out of state stick.

The more we are told that something of ours doesn't measure up the more we clam up and don't talk at all. This board has gotten very quiet because certain people that are very, very helpful in nature are tired of the same questions and tired of being challenged on their answers or told that stuff here isn't "as good as". I am not just talking about the moderators. We have some great longtime members that have confided that they are tired of it.
I've noticed this, too. The locals post less and less, because the vibe has changed. It's like this is The Brady Brunch, we're Jan and everything's all Florida, Florida, Florida. Jan just wanted to be Jan.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
I've noticed this, too. The locals post less and less, because the vibe has changed. It's like this is The Brady Brunch, we're Jan and everything's all Florida, Florida, Florida. Jan just wanted to be Jan.
Can I be Cindy?

Old 09-21-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post
We just moved here from Atlanta recently, and miss the restaurants and shopping. We have tried over a dozen restaurants, and just cannot find great food. We find good food, just not great (so if anyone has any recommendations for great, let's hear it!!). Also, the clothing stores here are not very good, and the one higher end clothing store (MS McClelland I think its called) is way overpriced.

That said, Atlanta's only a few hours drive for all of this, and to escape the sprawl and traffic of Atlanta, its a small price to pay.
Wow, I really don't know what to say, except that I'm from L.A., which trumps Atlanta in the food and fashion arenas, and I somehow manage to feed and clothe myself in Knoxville. I have heard you can even buy fine wine, real jewelry and a Mercedes-Benz, if you know the secret handshake.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Can I be Cindy?
Yes, you can. Except she just made a spectacle of herself being drunk on air last month, so maybe she wants to be Jan, Jan, Jan.

I'm going to go be quiet now.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:50 PM

811 posts, read 2,009,520 times
Quote:
Yes, you can. Except she just made a spectacle of herself being drunk on air last month, so maybe she wants to be Jan, Jan, Jan.

I'm going to go be quiet now.
LOL GBH, love it

Old 09-21-2008, 09:23 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Quote:
Wow, I really don't know what to say, except that I'm from L.A., which trumps Atlanta in the food and fashion arenas, and I somehow manage to feed and clothe myself in Knoxville. I have heard you can even buy fine wine, real jewelry and a Mercedes-Benz, if you know the secret handshake.
I even do alright here in Johnson City!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville