Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:11 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
I do agree on this.
Those master plan, newer developmet cookie cutter houses in Summerlin (and most other areas developed post 1980's are like this)...sorry, but they are not my cup of tea....like people say, you can shake hands with your neighborhood throught windows.
I guess small lots is one of the reason that L.V. properties are cheap.
Unless you can fork over big bucks to get a renovated Modern Mid Century home, a completely custom home or a McMansion in a Master Plan (even some of those look cookie cutter, lol), then you're SOL here in town if you're buying a home to live in. Maybe a condo or highrise place?

Also, consider another city, you'll probably find something you like there that will meet all your criteria. Good luck, sorry the home styles in Vegas didn't work for you

Last edited by MomMom; 05-22-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 01:09 AM

7 posts, read 15,790 times
Default Moving...

It's our belief that home is where you put your effort. I've lived all over this country and found ways to enjoy wherever I have lived. Sure I hated the endless rain in Seattle, or the hot humidity of Pensacola, FL or the cost of living in Hawaii, San Diego and San Francisco, but in every case, there's plenty of good no matter where you go to find what suits you and your comfort zone. In our case, we had no choice to be where we were, so we found a way to like it. It's all about attitude and "can-do" ability to achieve and make a home for yourself. Feeling sorry for yourself and being mired in what you don't have will NEVER make you happy. Finding peace from within will in turn find you peace from outside. Life is what you make it!!

I've been reading these posts with GREAT INTEREST!! I'm about 15 mos away from retiring from Military service and very interested in moving to LV. Some thoughts that have moved me in this direction:

We're avid desert rats, race Motocrosss, avid motorsports fans, love desert heat (we CANNOT deal with the cold here in Denver), born and raised only 4 hours away in Bakersfield, close to a military base, it's not California, no state income taxes (part of "it's not California"), and finally, the cheap cost of real estate.

My concerns:

Perceived crime rate (although I suspect the brunt of it centers around the Strip and some of the seedy No. LV areas), not sure what jobs I can expect (retiring military Officer with a degree and clearance), schools and what they have to offer my deaf son, and lastly, where to live? This last part will figure itself out with my many visits to LV planned over the next year as will the job with all the Job Fairs I'll be attending.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 AM

351 posts, read 837,328 times
"Percived" is the right word to use for our crime rate. Yes, it's very domestic & Strip related. Also, isn't crime rate calculated by population with no account for our many visitors? That would skew things a bit, I'd think. (For instance, compare that to, say, Detroit, which has virtually no tourists!)

Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeandtara View Post
It's our belief that home is where you put your effort. I've lived all over this country and found ways to enjoy wherever I have lived. Sure I hated the endless rain in Seattle, or the hot humidity of Pensacola, FL or the cost of living in Hawaii, San Diego and San Francisco, but in every case, there's plenty of good no matter where you go to find what suits you and your comfort zone. In our case, we had no choice to be where we were, so we found a way to like it. It's all about attitude and "can-do" ability to achieve and make a home for yourself. Feeling sorry for yourself and being mired in what you don't have will NEVER make you happy. Finding peace from within will in turn find you peace from outside. Life is what you make it!!

I've been reading these posts with GREAT INTEREST!! I'm about 15 mos away from retiring from Military service and very interested in moving to LV. Some thoughts that have moved me in this direction:

We're avid desert rats, race Motocrosss, avid motorsports fans, love desert heat (we CANNOT deal with the cold here in Denver), born and raised only 4 hours away in Bakersfield, close to a military base, it's not California, no state income taxes (part of "it's not California"), and finally, the cheap cost of real estate.

My concerns:

Perceived crime rate (although I suspect the brunt of it centers around the Strip and some of the seedy No. LV areas), not sure what jobs I can expect (retiring military Officer with a degree and clearance), schools and what they have to offer my deaf son, and lastly, where to live? This last part will figure itself out with my many visits to LV planned over the next year as will the job with all the Job Fairs I'll be attending.
While we have our share of crime, common sense prevails (as in every other place). If you stay in the nicer areas of the valley and use the common sense precautions (lock your doors, windows, don't leave your car unlocked, don't leave valuables visible to the street in both your car and house, etc.) you'll be quite OK and won't dwell on crime.

Summerlin, Green Valley, Los Prados-El Dorado-Aliante in North Las Vegas, Centennial Hills, the Lakes, Peccole Ranch, parts of Spring Valley..all places with nice residential neighborhoods and considered safer than those areas close to and just East of the Strip.

We have a sizable population of hearing impaired here in town..perhaps this link might help you.

Southern Nevada Coalition of Organizations of, by, and for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (http://deaflasvegasonline.org/default.html - broken link)

Former military? Most of the security folk (male and female) I know are former military and they work in the hotels, at the attractions, etc. We really are a military town so I don't think you'll have any problem getting a job.

Do your homework, like you mentioned, take several trips here and investigate our neighborhoods, make sure you like the typical Southwest layout of the land and the home styles, ask for lots of info while here. Plan well, keep money in reserve in case you can't find a job right away.

I bet you're going to love it here, lots of things for families to do but keep in mind, we don't have the best school district at all.

All things considered, much good luck with your move!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanks MomMom and VegasLocal. After I posted last night I did some research and found out that in fact most of the violence is centered around those areas. Murder rates appear to be remarkably low, unless I'm missing something. What did surprise me is the high amount of domestic disturbances. That seems to be a suburban issue, with other violent crimes fairly negligible in the good areas. The non-violent crimes (burglary, larceny, pickpockets, DUI's, etc..), again, seem to be centered around the Strip / Downtown / North Las Vegas. My guess is the temptation of "Sin City" can get the best of some folks causing some level domestic problems. Not a problem for us because we don't gamble and drink very rarely, so I've discounted that issue on a personal basis. We're far too busy with our racing to get involved with that stuff.

The "southwest style" suits us perfectly. I've lived in Phoenix and raised in Bakersfield, so we know precisely what we're getting into weather wise. Prior to Denver I was stationed in San Diego for 8 years so the illegal immigrant thing isn't novel to us. I suspect the usual cultural shocks that easterners go through coming to the SW won't be an issue for us, but I understand why some have a really hard time adjusting. As they can't adjust to SW living, I equally cannot fathom living on the East coast. Too many people, too little room, HORRID WEATHER, and waaaaaaaaay too expensive. I would rather starve off a salary working at WalMart in the SW than to have a good job in DC, that's how profound my distaste for the Beltway is.

Last question....what's property taxes like? We're looking at finding a short sale or foreclosure in the vicinity of 250 - 300K in those areas you mentioned. What can I expect? I know I can score a pretty righteous pad, but I don't want to be mired down a la CA style in property taxes. NW would be most desirable because of proximity to the base.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:25 PM

412 posts, read 916,164 times
Quote:
Last question....what's property taxes like? We're looking at finding a short sale or foreclosure in the vicinity of 250 - 300K in those areas you mentioned. What can I expect? I know I can score a pretty righteous pad, but I don't want to be mired down a la CA style in property taxes. NW would be most desirable because of proximity to the base.
You can enter the street address here:

Search By Location Address

Then select the property and then click on the link inside that says "Click here for Treasurer Information regarding real property taxes" and you'll see the actual property tax bill info.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Thanks MomMom and VegasLocal. After I posted last night I did some research and found out that in fact most of the violence is centered around those areas. Murder rates appear to be remarkably low, unless I'm missing something. What did surprise me is the high amount of domestic disturbances. That seems to be a suburban issue, with other violent crimes fairly negligible in the good areas. The non-violent crimes (burglary, larceny, pickpockets, DUI's, etc..), again, seem to be centered around the Strip / Downtown / North Las Vegas. My guess is the temptation of "Sin City" can get the best of some folks causing some level domestic problems. Not a problem for us because we don't gamble and drink very rarely, so I've discounted that issue on a personal basis. We're far too busy with our racing to get involved with that stuff.
Who told you Las Vegas crime was high? It is not. Las Vegas is in the middle third of cities bigger than 200K. If you check out Henderson, NV you find that community is in the bottom five percent of cities greater than 200K.

If you look where crime is high it is really not the strip...it tends to be the druggie areas.

As to family and other distburances...what are you using as a standard? Nobody tracks those except locally. I doubt that Vegas is out of line with the other SW cities. And much less than the rust belt.

Quote:
The "southwest style" suits us perfectly. I've lived in Phoenix and raised in Bakersfield, so we know precisely what we're getting into weather wise. Prior to Denver I was stationed in San Diego for 8 years so the illegal immigrant thing isn't novel to us. I suspect the usual cultural shocks that easterners go through coming to the SW won't be an issue for us, but I understand why some have a really hard time adjusting. As they can't adjust to SW living, I equally cannot fathom living on the East coast. Too many people, too little room, HORRID WEATHER, and waaaaaaaaay too expensive. I would rather starve off a salary working at WalMart in the SW than to have a good job in DC, that's how profound my distaste for the Beltway is.
Actually someone important has to die to gets us east of the Mississippi. And we often recalibrate importance when the question is called.

Quote:
Use 1% anywhere except North Las Vegas. Use 1.15% in NLV. YOu will be pleased at the outcome.

And yes you should concentrate on 89131 and 89143 and maybe 89166.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 PM

Default ummm.....not quite as you advertised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Who told you Las Vegas crime was high? It is not. Las Vegas is in the middle third of cities bigger than 200K. If you check out Henderson, NV you find that community is in the bottom five percent of cities greater than 200K. Every single site that tracks this stuff says Vegas and Nevada are high. Here's a few:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Las Vegas, NV Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Las Vegas - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedThis site says Vegas is high in every crime category PER CAPITA with the exception of Arson and Larceny. Vehicle theft is 2X the national average and explains why car insurance is relatively high. It's higher than SD, which is completely surprising due to proximity to the border. Bet you didn't know that. I didn't until yesterday. I checked it out with my insurance agent and sure enough the rumor is true. Their actuaries are spot on statistically. That's why they beat the averages.

As I stated, once outside the rough areas, your chances are far better and the crime isn't unusually high or any higher than any other comparable suburb anywhere else but the amount of family disturbances is surprising. I don't count those because those are personal issues involving family dynamics. Not an issue outside the home that will affect mine.

If you look where crime is high it is really not the strip...it tends to be the druggie areas. Complete and total BS! Check the LVMPD website and CLEARLY you can see it mapped out. The Strip, Downtown and N. LV is the hands down winner of crimes other than domestic disturbances. Not surprisingly, just off Nellis AFB is a high crime area, much like anywhere else in the U.S. that has a military base. Seems weird, but very true and very real. I've lived it for 20 years and seen it all on both coasts.

As to family and other distburances...what are you using as a standard? Nobody tracks those except locally. I doubt that Vegas is out of line with the other SW cities. And much less than the rust belt. AGAIN....using LVPD website, you can track the family disturbances and it gets more pronounced in suburbia.

Actually someone important has to die to gets us east of the Mississippi. And we often recalibrate importance when the question is called.

Use 1% anywhere except North Las Vegas. Use 1.15% in NLV. YOu will be pleased at the outcome.

And yes you should concentrate on 89131 and 89143 and maybe 89166.
Good to know...Thanks! You must be a realtor because you're putting one hell of a sales job at me. Just guessing.

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2011 at 05:20 AM..

Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Every single site that tracks this stuff says Vegas and Nevada are high. Here's a few:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Las Vegas, NV Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Las Vegas - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedThis site says Vegas is high in every crime category PER CAPITA with the exception of Arson and Larceny. Vehicle theft is 2X the national average and explains why car insurance is relatively high. It's higher than SD, which is completely surprising due to proximity to the border. Bet you didn't know that. I didn't until yesterday. I checked it out with my insurance agent and sure enough the rumor is true. Their actuaries are spot on statistically. That's why they beat the averages.
YOu are simply gullible. Those sites either provide no realistic information or use old stuff. Look at the dates...2003? And it was wrong then.

If you want to see the actual and only reasonably accurate statistics you go to..

Table 8 - Crime in the United States 2009

download the excel spreadsheet. Than you can sort anyway you like.

There really is no other. So look at it and determine what it actually says...

And this is without any allowance for the tourist population\.

Quote:
As I stated, once outside the rough areas, your chances are far better and the crime isn't unusually high or any higher than any other comparable suburb anywhere else but the amount of family disturbances is surprising. I don't count those because those are personal issues involving family dynamics. Not an issue outside the home that will affect mine.
Is it? What standard? How many per capita in a zip code. Again I would claim you are gullible. I suspect you would find...if you could get at the real data...is that inner city cops are too busy to write up most domestic complaints.

Quote:
Check the LVMPD website and CLEARLY you can see it mapped out. The Strip, Downtown and N. LV is the hands down winner of crimes other than domestic disturbances. Not surprisingly, just off Nellis AFB is a high crime area, much like anywhere else in the U.S. that has a military base. Seems weird, but very true and very real. I've lived it for 20 years and seen it all on both coasts.
Nope. If you check a little more carefully you will find that the strip and downtown are not nearly as potent as say Freemont and 12th or Sierra Vista.

And yes the area around Nellis is troubled. But not nearly as bad as the above.

Quote:
AGAIN....using LVPD website, you can track the family disturbances and it gets more pronounced in suburbia.
Adjusted for population? I don't think so. Though it would be a significant effort to find out. Did you calculate the population and the rate?

Quote:
Good to know...Thanks! You must be a realtor because you're putting one hell of a sales job at me. Just guessing.
Don't take the sources seriously unless you are willing to do your homework. They are virtually always incorrect. And much of the folk lore about Las Vegas have a similar flaw. Work out the reality...not the myth.

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2011 at 05:20 AM..

Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 PM

7 posts, read 25,568 times
I'll need a pic of the girlfriend before I can offer any advivce. TIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas