Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Transplanted current LV Residents only...Where did you live before moving to LV?
Northeast Region - New England (CT/ME/MA/NH/RI/VT) 24 4.98%
Northeast Region - Mid-Atlantic (NJ/NY/PA) 71 14.73%
Midwest Region - East Central (IN/IL/MI/OH/WI) 84 17.43%
Midwest Region - West Central (IA/KS/MN/MO/NE/ND/SD) 28 5.81%
South Region - Atlantic (DE/DC/FL/GA/MD/NC/SC/VA/WV) 38 7.88%
South Region - East Central (AL/KY/MS/TN) 11 2.28%
South Region - West Central (AR/LA/OK/TX) 28 5.81%
West Region - Mountain (AZ/CO/ID/NM/MT/UT/NV/WY) 34 7.05%
West Region - Pacific (AK/CA/HI/OR/WA) 124 25.73%
US Territories & Possessions (AS/FM/GU/MH/MP/PW/PR/VI) 1 0.21%
Canada 7 1.45%
Mexico 3 0.62%
Other 29 6.02%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:18 PM

21 posts, read 47,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B. View Post
I grew up in Bergen County (Lodi), NJ, same county and same time as Bill Maher. Our high schools played each other in sports. I have lived in Montclair, Hoboken, Jersey City, Highlands, and Bradley Beach, all in NJ, and in Osterhout, PA. I went to college in the Bronx and lived there and in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Moved from Brooklyn to Terlingua, TX (middle of nowhere in the Chihuahuan desert) in '95. Back to Jersey in 2000 to take care of Mom. In 2006 Mom died (Dad died young, in 1985), and I took in my retarded brother. We moved from Bradley Beach, at the Jersey shore, to Las Vegas in June 2007.

Hey Julia, I will be moving in June from Woodbridge, originally born and raised in Jersey City. I'm looking forward to escaping the bitter cold. Although the Snow Day we had on Friday was sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 43,429 times
From Waterbury, Ct-06705!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:56 PM

709 posts, read 2,181,715 times
From Alabama by way of San Antonio TX, Boloxie MS, Las Vegas NV, Bishopheim West Germany, Omaha NE, and Las Vegas NV the last 16 years.

And those cities didn't give it away, I was in the USAF.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:31 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,000,328 times
From Danbury CT > 06810

Old 03-08-2008, 09:08 PM

280 posts, read 572,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Welcome. As a former resident of Temecula and Orange County I agree about the 91 plus the 60 and the 57. I've heard that some of the stuff back east is much worse, but I've never been there.

On another note, I used to be a Class A driver out here and people out here can be idiots around big trucks, as I'm sure you know judging by your screen name. If driving a 10 wheel dump through town while pulling a 30,000 lb excavator isn't about as frustrating as it gets, I don't know what is.

agree about idiots and big trucks, and surprising enough have even seen idiots IN big trucks. I pull a 53 reefer and just have a near mental breakdown when I have to pull from the Inland Empire to the LA area for a 7am delivery or pickup. It wouldnt be so bad I guess if I had an autoshifter but not that fortunate. 10 gears up, 10 gears down, after a day in LA my clutch leg is swollen the size of an oak tree (and yes I do float gears alot when I can). I dread running the 60 in the mornings cause of all the damn container haulers. The only advantage I have over a driver not from the area, is I know the side streets AND USE THEM. I wouldnt do this in Chicago or NY or Atlanta or such, cause there, IM THE FOREIGNER. Plus knowing my luck I'd end up down some dead end alley with a 11 foot bridge in front of me. It should be a law, and well enforced, if you come into a traffic jam, you must maintain the lane your in to you clear from the traffic. I love watching the 4-wheelers zipping from one lane to another trying to kill themselves and others to gain what 25 inches, 5 feet. And of course as soon as they get over, the lane that they were in then speeds up and passes up the zigzagger. Hilarious!!!! If people would wake up, this is what is causing 80% of the traffic on the freeway. Zigzag all over the highway trying to force the guy your cutting off to slam on his brakes. Or my other pet peeve, the idiots who try to merge on from the onramp and GOD FORBID THEY GET BEHIND A SEMI. I literally have put many drivers into K-rails or the ice plant because they try to force their little BMW or Lexus in front of me. They dont care that their lane has now ended a quarter mile back and they are now driving in the dirt or the shoulder. I dont flinch when they try to swerve and hit me. If we do make contact, I guarantee they will be the dead ones as I will roll the whole tractor and trailer over their car before I come to a stop. And with all the video recording equipment in trucks these days, my hide is safe, I got video proof he put me in an unsafe condition.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:35 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,850,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNVTrucker View Post
agree about idiots and big trucks, and surprising enough have even seen idiots IN big trucks. I pull a 53 reefer and just have a near mental breakdown when I have to pull from the Inland Empire to the LA area for a 7am delivery or pickup. It wouldnt be so bad I guess if I had an autoshifter but not that fortunate. 10 gears up, 10 gears down, after a day in LA my clutch leg is swollen the size of an oak tree (and yes I do float gears alot when I can).
I've seen plenty of idiots in trucks as well. I'm beginning to think that NV is the only state where it is not illegal for a tractor-trailer to not only drive in the fast lane, but to pitch a tent and camp out in it. I hear you on the clutch leg too. My left knee is somewhat bad, so after 10-12 hours of filling up the truck, hopping off of the excavator, hauling the material to wherever it may be going, getting back and doing it all over again my knee was so stiff that I could barely walk. I'm so glad I'm not doing it anymore. I sure do have some stories, like the time my brakes completely faded coming down 215 just before Cheyenne, or the time that the pin that holds the hydraulic piston that lifts the bed to the frame of the truck fell off. I did not realize it until I tried to dump my dirt, bed actually came up a few feet then came crashing down, the piston rotated on it's pivot point and came down on the cab, caving it in quite a bit and blowing out the back window.

Anyway, be careful out there and try not to let them get you too riled up. I'm sure you get paid by the mile and I wouldn't want to see you lose time and money sitting by the side of the road.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:30 PM

27 posts, read 104,605 times
Im moving from the Chicago Land area to UNLV this coming summer for college. I cannot wait!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:54 PM

14 posts, read 80,138 times
Santa Monica, CA

Old 03-17-2008, 01:08 AM

4 posts, read 14,368 times
Just recently moved here from Anchorage, Alaska.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:53 PM

280 posts, read 572,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Anyway, be careful out there and try not to let them get you too riled up. I'm sure you get paid by the mile and I wouldn't want to see you lose time and money sitting by the side of the road.
I try my hardest to stay outta trouble, and try even harder to stay off the side of the road. If the wheels ain't turning, I ain't making money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas