Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:10 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times

Advertisements

In theory, I agree with Scoop.

I do have a problem with taxes, of any kind, as that no agency, entity, or department spends it judiciously. As a teacher, I have seen it first hand. Something is wrong when Lockheed makes a 3 billion in profit from arms sales to our government and we can't properly care for our injured soldiers. This is how it always goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 02:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
In theory, I agree with Scoop.

I do have a problem with taxes, of any kind, as that no agency, entity, or department spends it judiciously. As a teacher, I have seen it first hand. Something is wrong when Lockheed makes a 3 billion in profit from arms sales to our government and we can't properly care for our injured soldiers. This is how it always goes.
I chalk this up to the fact that we are willing to settle for what we get. We may go round and round on topics like this, and the state of our school system. But for me, the point is, we settle for the status quo. This frustrates me to no end -- the fact that so many people can see what's happening in Las Vegas and beyond and say, "Good enough for me. As long as my taxes are low."

We settle with our healthcare, our schools, our infrastructure, our food, and most certainly with our elected representatives. And there simply aren't enough people who are sick of it to accomplish anything. Frankly, I think the best days of this country are behind us. Not unless there is some wholesale change of attitude, and quickly at that.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:48 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooplv View Post
i'm happy with this tax.

First of all, we have to recognize that nevada needs some kind of revenue. The car registration fees could just as easily be something like a higher sales tax or higher property taxes. Those taxes are basically unavoidable. But if you want to get out from under the registration fee tax, just drive an older car. It doesn't even have to be a crappy car. Just "older."

as i said upthread, the state basically punishes people who buy new cars. So buy a nice used car. This boils down to a tax on people who cannot live without that "new car smell." and that's my favorite kind of tax of all -- the easily-avoidable kind.
^^^ +1 ^^^

Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,943 times
I like to buy a new car and keep it for at least 12 years. For a $45k vehicle the $850 first year registration fee is small potatoes when you consider the money one saves by not having a state income tax.

Classic vehicles are fine for "show and tell" but I would rather drive cross country doing 80mph in the modern technology and comfort of a 2014 xover

Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 AM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I'm happy with this tax.

First of all, we have to recognize that Nevada needs some kind of revenue. The car registration fees could just as easily be something like a higher sales tax or higher property taxes. Those taxes are basically unavoidable. But if you want to get out from under the registration fee tax, just drive an older car. It doesn't even have to be a crappy car. Just "older."

As I said upthread, the state basically punishes people who buy new cars. So buy a nice used car. This boils down to a tax on people who cannot live without that "new car smell." And that's my favorite kind of tax of all -- the easily-avoidable kind.
+1

This really is the best kind of tax. Don't want to pay it? Simply buy a less expensive or used car.

My neighbor has a 1988 Chevy Pickup he bought new. I believe he said he now pays $40-something a year in registration, the absolute minimum one can pay per year on a vehicle.

The actual registration fee in Nevada is listed at $33.00. That is dirt cheap.

Another nice feature about Nevada is you avoid sales tax by buying from a private individual. Only vehicles purchased from a dealer pay sales tax. Back in VT sales tax (7%) is paid on any vehicle sale, private or dealer.

I've heard every once in a while Metro will set up stings at local schools. Picking up/dropping off a child with an out of state plate = stopped and questioned. If you have a child attending school it seems it would be very hard to argue you are not a resident.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:50 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
I've heard every once in a while Metro will set up stings at local schools. Picking up/dropping off a child with an out of state plate = stopped and questioned. If you have a child attending school it seems it would be very hard to argue you are not a resident.
When I bought my fun car, I went through the trouble of getting the $1 moving permit.

Glad I did. When I brought the fun car to DMV, there was a cop there citing everyone who pulled in without plates. Must have had 30 people lined up waiting for their tickets. And tow trucks were lined up to impound the vehicles. I think that's overkill, but it's not like we make the rules a mystery.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:05 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
When I arrived here in LV I unloaded my truck, the next day I took the truck back to the rental yard and I went straight to the smog station and got smogged then went to the DMV and got plates and a new DL. I was in compliance within 36 hours of arriving.

I don't understand why people cannot do this within the legal time frame.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:08 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
When I arrived here in LV I unloaded my truck, the next day I took the truck back to the rental yard and I went straight to the smog station and got smogged then went to the DMV and got plates and a new DL. I was in compliance within 36 hours of arriving.

I don't understand why people cannot do this within the legal time frame.
Took us about a week. Went to DMV, got licenses, changed plates, paid a few hundred bucks, in and out within an hour and a half. And the DMV workers were NICE and CORDIAL. Even fixed some of the paperwork that we did incorrectly (leased vehicle). Try getting that kind of service with a smile in most other states!

Old 09-14-2013, 12:24 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
^^^^ I was amazed at how efficient an easy everything was at the DMV!

Another thing an out of stater might want to know is that the Chamber of Commerce and other entities will send you a mover/new resident guide for free. It's an entire glossy magazine filled with everything you need to know about moving here. Names/ addresses things you'll need, coupons and articles about getting hired and word card info..
I received two different guides months before my arrival.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:38 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Took us about a week. Went to DMV, got licenses, changed plates, paid a few hundred bucks, in and out within an hour and a half. And the DMV workers were NICE and CORDIAL. Even fixed some of the paperwork that we did incorrectly (leased vehicle). Try getting that kind of service with a smile in most other states!
I am always amazed how nice and helpful the DMV people are. Doesn't matter if it's Las Vegas or Henderson I've never had anything other than a helpful, friendly experience every trip to the DMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas