Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 02:28 PM

645 posts, read 707,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I set my ac to 87. I bought a little oscillating fan, and I stay cool. The bill hit 100 so far. I can deal with that. I was paying a hell of a lot more than that, all year round, where I came from.

me too I leave my temp at 85 to 87, with a fan it really helps. And my bill so far is also 100.

questions my agent told me to leave temp at at least 85 during the day even when no one is in the house, leave it at 85 to prevent house expanding or creaking. What's wrong with expanding what does it do to the house? I am thinking about leave it at 90 when I am not in the house.

I got 2 AC units one for upstairs one for downstairs, upstairs I leave it at 85 to 87, downstairs it's usually cooler with the house's insulation(temp difference between upstairs and downstairs is like 7 degress with AC off) so downstairs I leave it at 90. Neighbor said don't have the temp difference greater than 3 degress or one AC will work much harder and it will break, is that right we seldom use downstairs I just leave it at 90.

Close off vents in the rooms we aint' using agent said don't mess with it, at least leave the vent 15% open. is that right What's wrong with closing the vents in the room we ain't using? he also said leave the doors open it's better

1st time home owner sorry about all the questions!! (how often do you guys have inside the air-duct professionally cleaned? once every few years? I have all the doors closed and I am getting dust dirt thing on my table etc, they accumulate fast! like 1 month and you can see it again)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 02:38 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
me too I leave my temp at 85 to 87, with a fan it really helps. And my bill so far is also 100.

questions my agent told me to leave temp at at least 85 during the day even when no one is in the house, leave it at 85 to prevent house expanding or creaking.
I always leave my AC turned off if nobody is home, it will cost you less in electricity. If you have quality wooden furniture you are worried about, then it may be an issue for you. My furniture is all holding up fine however, many different types of wood.

Quote:
I got 2 AC units one for upstairs one for downstairs, upstairs I leave it at 85 to 87, downstairs it's usually cooler with the house's insulation(temp difference between upstairs and downstairs is like 7 degress with AC off) so downstairs I leave it at 90. Neighbor said don't have the temp difference greater than 3 degress or one AC will work much harder and it will break, is that right we seldom use downstairs I just leave it at 90.
When you have multiple AC units they are insulated separate from each other so this isn't an issue. I leave my 900 sq foot upstairs turned off all summer long and the other two AC units aren't impacted at all.

Quote:
Close off vents in the rooms we aint' using agent said don't mess with it, at least leave the vent 15% open. is that right What's wrong with closing the vents in the room we ain't using? he also said leave the doors open it's better
Don't shut the vents at all. Those rooms aren't insulated from each other and the heat seeps right back into the cool rooms. Your AC will run more than if you cooled everything within the insulated zone (as designed).

Quote:
1st time home owner sorry about all the questions!! (how often do you guys have inside the air-duct professionally cleaned? once every few years? I have all the doors closed and I am getting dust dirt thing on my table etc, they accumulate fast! like 1 month and you can see it again)
I will never have ducts cleaned, it is nearly useless. You will always have dust. Replace your HVAC intake filters every 3 months for heavily used units, less if used infrequently. Welcome to the desert and get comfortable with dusting.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:41 PM

Danknee thanks so much!

So I got an extra insulation between the floors! no wonder downstairs is always cooler than upstairs by 6 to 8 degrees!

Yeah I heard duct cleaning doesn't really do much, and it might mess up the duct. however inside of the air-ducts it's really dusty like really thick of dust, but it's the same for all the houses I guess?

Old 06-29-2014, 05:15 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
I always leave my AC turned off if nobody is home, it will cost you less in electricity. If you have quality wooden furniture you are worried about, then it may be an issue for you. My furniture is all holding up fine however, many different types of wood.

When you have multiple AC units they are insulated separate from each other so this isn't an issue. I leave my 900 sq foot upstairs turned off all summer long and the other two AC units aren't impacted at all.

Don't shut the vents at all. Those rooms aren't insulated from each other and the heat seeps right back into the cool rooms. Your AC will run more than if you cooled everything within the insulated zone (as designed).

I will never have ducts cleaned, it is nearly useless. You will always have dust. Replace your HVAC intake filters every 3 months for heavily used units, less if used infrequently. Welcome to the desert and get comfortable with dusting.

I wouldnt wait 3 months to change filters, especially when I see most people nowadays buying filters that are restrictive right out of the bag.
Filters under heavy summer use need to be changed every month.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:49 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
I can't imagine anything over 80 in my home... Usually 74

Old 06-29-2014, 06:52 PM

filters I just get the cheapest one but change it every month, sometimes 2 months.

filter quality doesn't really matter right? just change it often.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:43 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
I wouldnt wait 3 months to change filters, especially when I see most people nowadays buying filters that are restrictive right out of the bag.
Filters under heavy summer use need to be changed every month.
^^^^ +1 ^^^^

Note some new homeowners incorrectly think a more expensive (more restrictive) air filter will reduce the level of dust in the house. It will not. The main purpose of the air filter is to protect the expensive AC unit, not to remove dust & pollen & allergen from the indoor air -- because whenever you open a door or window, more comes in. Even with the doors & windows closed, more comes in.

You can save money on the filter by buying the "good" (not the "better" and definitely not the "best") filter.

Moreover, the "good" filter will result in the AC unit costing less to operate.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:38 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
When we had our furnace and AC checked last month (new home) we were told to throw away the filters that were there and buy inexpensive ones. Then change then often. We did and we will.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:18 PM

698 posts, read 986,013 times
Quote:

questions my agent told me to leave temp at at least 85 during the day even when no one is in the house, leave it at 85 to prevent house expanding or creaking. What's wrong with expanding what does it do to the house? I am thinking about leave it at 90 when I am not in the house.
All three of my zones are off from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. From 5:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. the main zone is set to 81. From 9:30 p.m. - 8:00 a.m. the two zones (one with Master the other with a bedroom and two guest rooms) are set at 78. For us this seems to be the highest setting we can comfortably tolerate. All rooms have ceiling fans which helps. I home office so during the day it can get a bit warm but I dress accordingly and drink plenty of water.

Regarding expanding or cracking (I think this is what you meant) I do see this, however, I wonder if it's a combination of the heat and lack of humidity. I purchased a portable humidifier for the main portion of the house (2,100 square feet) where the wood flooring is and try and keep it between 25 and 30% humidity and that seems to have helped. That said, since it started hitting 100 I have seen some additional shrinkage (pulling away from the walls) on the flooring and a couple of the joints on my baseboards separating. This surprises me as I think the hottest the inside of my house has reached is probably 88 during the day.

Anyone have any thoughts here?

Quote:
I do this as well. In one of my zones I have 1 bedroom and 2 guest rooms (as well as laundry and pantry). I bought a portable thermostat to control the zone and place it in the bedroom that is occupied. When no guests are staying with us I close the vents in the two guest rooms figuring why cool the rooms if no one is using them. Is this logic flawed?

BTW, my bill ending 6/20 is $219 and NV Energy reports similar homes in my are averaged $305. Oh, and I run a pool pump 4 hours a day and a chlorine generator too.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:22 PM

561 posts, read 681,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
I do this as well. In one of my zones I have 1 bedroom and 2 guest rooms (as well as laundry and pantry). I bought a portable thermostat to control the zone and place it in the bedroom that is occupied. When no guests are staying with us I close the vents in the two guest rooms figuring why cool the rooms if no one is using them. Is this logic flawed?
There's no thermal barrier between the unoccupied, hot rooms, and the occupied, cooler room. The heat from the unoccupied rooms is going to increase the temperature in the adjacent spaces (including the occupied room), forcing your a/c to work harder to cool that one single room than it would have if all of the rooms were simultaneously cooled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas