Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:06 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,288,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Closing vents can potentially raise your bill; unless the rooms are isolated from each other with insulation like in a system that uses zones. The closed vent leaves that room hot. Then the heat seeps right back into the rooms you were attempting to cool due to the lack insulation between them. Your system will likely run more than if you left all the vents open.
At least it's pretty quiet here. We hardly see or here our neighbors except for when the water pipes run in their bathrooms. The keeping the vents closed during the summer experiment proved to be a failure I suppose due to insulation as you mentioned perhaps. For the first few days the AC ran but wasn't cooling down below 90 degrees until they fixed it so that might have something to do with it too. The complex quoted us at between $80 - $100 a month during the summer for the unit but they weren't sure on that. From other places with the same square footage we were given higher quotes so I wondered if it might not be higher and wasn't surprised. That was not including the one time initiation fee either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
My first month of electricity bill is $58!!! Woohoo!
Does that include the initiation fee? What's the sq footage? Was it the entire month or a week and a half? We broke ours down by days in a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,423,821 times
NV Energy customers to get small reduction on electricity bills | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 06-26-2014, 09:34 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,684,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
At least it's pretty quiet here. We hardly see or here our neighbors except for when the water pipes run in their bathrooms. The keeping the vents closed during the summer experiment proved to be a failure I suppose due to insulation as you mentioned perhaps. For the first few days the AC ran but wasn't cooling down below 90 degrees until they fixed it so that might have something to do with it too. The complex quoted us at between $80 - $100 a month during the summer for the unit but they weren't sure on that. From other places with the same square footage we were given higher quotes so I wondered if it might not be higher and wasn't surprised. That was not including the one time initiation fee either.

Does that include the initiation fee? What's the sq footage? Was it the entire month or a week and a half? We broke ours down by days in a week.

3BR / 2BA house around 1600sf. My entire house is all LED lighting. I have high efficiency front-load washer and gas dryer. I keep my thermostat at 80 flat.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:41 PM

427 posts, read 632,196 times
Quote:
Was it the entire month or a week and a half? We broke ours down by days in a week.
When I set up my on-line account with NV Energy they started sending me an email every Sat, a "WEEKLY BILLING SUMMARY. It tells me how much my bill is so far this month, the number of days so far, and the projected monthly total. Last Sat they projected $150 for June.

Maybe the Summary is only available for houses ??

My house is 1200', 2 bed/2bath. I too keep my thermostat at 80, 24/7.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
3BR / 2BA house around 1600sf. My entire house is all LED lighting. I have high efficiency front-load washer and gas dryer. I keep my thermostat at 80 flat.
I'm impressed. I did run our washer and dryer a bunch at first because I wanted to wash everything in the house after the move if it needed it or not. Also used our dishwasher a bunch. My husband said we should get energy efficient lighting but I've read there's a potential health hazard with that. LED on the other hand isn't something I've considered but I'm impressed with them. It seems all the Christmas tree lights these days are LED lights. They're very efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
When I set up my on-line account with NV Energy they started sending me an email every Sat, a "WEEKLY BILLING SUMMARY. It tells me how much my bill is so far this month, the number of days so far, and the projected monthly total. Last Sat they projected $150 for June.

Maybe the Summary is only available for houses ??

My house is 1200', 2 bed/2bath. I too keep my thermostat at 80, 24/7.
Good to know someone else is averaging the same. I'll have to set up our online account to pay the bills and check it out.

Yay! A reprieve!

Old 06-27-2014, 07:31 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,801,603 times
We use the NV Energy smart meter, so their website gives us exact usage the following day, as well as projecting our bill for the month. For some reason, it's a couple days behind when I just checked. But with 19 days into the billing cycle, we're projected at $160. 2200sqft 2-story.

I think we're acclimated to the warmer temps during the day, more so than last year. When we shut the house down at 1:00p, we used to leave every day last year. Now we're fine kicking around the house until the A/C comes back on at 7:00. It has gotten to 85 inside around 5:00, but we don't find that too bad. Certainly better than a $300-$400 bill!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:01 AM

My husband's always complaining it's too cold and I'm always complaining it's too hot. I suspect that's why his office is preferably warmer. We haven't acclimated yet.

Plus I can't seem to get to sleep at night if it's not 76 degrees in the house because I'm uncomfortable and my feet feel hot and swollen. I don't know how you guys are doing it at 80 degrees flat but maybe I'll try that. At 78 degrees it feels muggy to me if the cool air isn't blowing but best to adapt.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:04 AM

1,825 posts, read 5,320,048 times
Quote:
My husband's always complaining it's too cold and I'm always complaining it's too hot. I suspect that's why his office is preferably warmer. We haven't acclimated yet.

Plus I can't seem to get to sleep at night if it's not 76 degrees in the house because I'm uncomfortable and my feet feel hot and swollen. I don't know how you guys are doing it at 80 degrees flat but maybe I'll try that. At 78 degrees it feels muggy to me if the cool air isn't blowing but best to adapt.
I'm with you, I need it cold to sleep. I set the bedroom AC to 74 plus use a ceiling fan.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:07 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,801,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
I'm with you, I need it cold to sleep. I set the bedroom AC to 74 plus use a ceiling fan.
Us, too. 73 or 74 with the ceiling fan. Nothing worse than waking up clammy!

Old 06-27-2014, 11:33 AM

158 posts, read 265,423 times
Merry, what kind of curtains/window coverings are you using? The light/heat blocking kind really help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas