Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 04:37 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times

Advertisements

When I was in CO, went to do some finishing touches on one of my rentals but people were fully moved in! I called the cops and they informed the people that they had to go right then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 04:45 PM

44 posts, read 67,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
The cops should have immediately entered to interrupt a crime in progress. If the big dog attacks... use the pepper spray. I can't believe how impotent the police are in situations like these.

Exactly. It seems like squatters have more rights and leeway than people who actually lose the house they tried to pay for. Plus I didn't know you were technically a squatter if you've been there less than 24 hours.

Last edited by youngwildfree; 05-30-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 05:03 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,910 times
Often these squatters will call up and have power turned on in their names and then show a power bill in their name to the police. If it is a same day thing the police might have been able to throw them out but maybe local rules prevent it. It might have been a rookie cop or one that has been in trouble a lot and didnt want to bust down the door for fear of getting a complaint. Could have gotten a locksmith though.

Last edited by Packrat1; 05-30-2014 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 05-30-2014, 05:25 PM

529 posts, read 512,460 times
I'm in Summerlin and a house in my neighborhood was squatted for a while. The owner died and the house was not yet in foreclosure.

They were stealing power from their neighbors and had very young prostitutes in it. It took months for SWAT to finally evict them, then they came back. The police then removed them again. They came back later and stole all the appliances. That was about a year ago. The house still sits in shambles.

The house is destroyed and the bank has yet to take possession because they need a fortune just to bring the house into HOA compliance. It sounds like as long as they don't repo the house they don't have to pay the HOA fines and cannot be subjected to a lawsuit to force bringing up to code by the county or HOA.

The squatters claimed that they had a lease signed by the dead homeowner, which was impossible to disprove I suppose. That added to the problems.

Surely there is a way to remove these people without waiting for them to destroy the property, especially since they were stealing electricity.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:31 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
@LasVegasPlayer - The HOA just continues levying a fine. If the bank doesn't pay then the next buyer will eventually have to.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:34 PM

529 posts, read 512,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
@LasVegasPlayer - The HOA just continues levying a fine. If the bank doesn't pay then the next buyer will eventually have to.
Right, but since the bank has not taken possession and the owner is dead there is nobody to compel into fixing the property. That would generally how you would motivate someone to fix the problem.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:37 PM

The best way would be for the bank to post no trespassing signs on the inside of the windows but often the house is mired in legal court wranglings with the previous foreclosed homeowner. Banks that actually own the home should be threatened with nuisance abatement if the squatters are causing trouble by the city but that would require a proactive city council. Used to be done on drug houses.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:10 PM

426 posts, read 527,165 times
So unfortunately there is also the chance the people who moved in don't realize they're squatting, as they could have "leased it" from someone who claimed to be the owner even though they were not. This bogus property manager could have obtained the key from the lockbox, signed a fake lease, collected some rent, and ran. Therefore the police could be giving them the occupants the benefit of the doubt, even though the bank confirmed they're trespassing, these people may not realize it yet.

If the neighbor saw them exchanging the refrigerator for an old one though, that should give the police probable cause to take a more aggressive stance.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:16 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
OP said the squatters took down the for sale sign. Shows malice in my mind.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:19 PM

The fake lease is a common tool with squatters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas