Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 06:16 PM

687 posts, read 4,406,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I doubt that. Even after they move in they have no real standing so they cannot sue.

I was however referring to taking some action while the place is vacant. I don't believe that would violate the law anywhere.
I bet they'd leave real quick if I could disable the a/c over there. If I can catch them all gone at the same time, I'll go over and remove a few circuit breakers and even lock the box. Problem is, they always seem to leave someone at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 06:56 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I doubt that. Even after they move in they have no real standing so they cannot sue.
Back here, certain LL-tenant issues are not considered civil. Illegal lockouts (ie without an eviction order) and health and safety issues, are considered criminal issues, and the cops will arrest a LL if they're not remedied immediatly .
Quote:

I was however referring to taking some action while the place is vacant. I don't believe that would violate the law anywhere.
I agree with thid

Old 06-14-2014, 08:08 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,554,759 times
OP, you've already done more than enough. If it wasn't for you, the bank may have not been aware of the squatters for weeks. Your prompt notification allowed them them the best chance to minimize their losses. If your instincts are true and these people are lawless and you try and do something like disconnect the A/C or water you may run into some real trouble. Let the bank do the rest, it's not your responsibility.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:34 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
OP, you've already done more than enough. If it wasn't for you, the bank may have not been aware of the squatters for weeks. Your prompt notification allowed them them the best chance to minimize their losses. If your instincts are true and these people are lawless and you try and do something like disconnect the A/C or water you may run into some real trouble. Let the bank do the rest, it's not your responsibility.
Unfortunately, ddrhazy is right. Bad guys win again.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:42 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,554,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Unfortunately, ddrhazy is right. Bad guys win again.
If it was my own property and the utilities were in my name I might disconnect the utilities and instruct the utility companies to padlock their meters. That's not illegal as the utilities are in your name. What's illegal to do is if you have a non paying tenant that has a legitimate lease agreement and you shut off the water and padlock the water meter to compel them to pay.

The people the OP is describing have no such privilege. I'd have no fear of doing that to a bunch of squatters. What I am warning the OP of is them attacking him the minute he attempts any sort of shut off. So be cautious OP, these people sound wild and dangerous.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:25 AM

The problem with that line of thinking is that the authorities don't know that the squatter doesn't have a lease, especially if they come an he show a fraudulent lease. They generally work under the assumption that whoever has possession of the property is right until proven wrong (by being legally evicted.) Again that's what I've seen here in NY. NV may very well be different. But I'd make sure of that BEFORE trying anything like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
If it was my own property and the utilities were in my name I might disconnect the utilities and instruct the utility companies to padlock their meters. That's not illegal as the utilities are in your name. What's illegal to do is if you have a non paying tenant that has a legitimate lease agreement and you shut off the water and padlock the water meter to compel them to pay.

The people the OP is describing have no such privilege. I'd have no fear of doing that to a bunch of squatters. What I am warning the OP of is them attacking him the minute he attempts any sort of shut off. So be cautious OP, these people sound wild and dangerous.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:01 AM

687 posts, read 4,406,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The problem with that line of thinking is that the authorities don't know that the squatter doesn't have a lease, especially if they come an he show a fraudulent lease. They generally work under the assumption that whoever has possession of the property is right until proven wrong (by being legally evicted.) Again that's what I've seen here in NY. NV may very well be different. But I'd make sure of that BEFORE trying anything like this.
I honestly feel that these people knew they were wrong right off the bat.

First, they told one of the neighbors that they bought the house from the bank. Second, when the police returned, they produced a fake lease and the fact that they were offered 1500 dollars to move and declined, also tells me they were wrong from the start.

If I felt that these people were honestly duped, I would take a little nicer approach but since my instincts say different, I have no compassion whatsoever for them.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:11 AM

I'm sure this is an organized fraud.

These people know exactly what they're doing, and exactly how to get away with it for as long as possible. They've likely done it before, and will do so again, as long as they can find a property in the situation that allows it. They also know that no one seems to care about this type of activity from a criminal standpoint.

These people know exactly how to make maximal use of the laws that exist to protect "normal" renters. And their prepared to deal with and punish anyone who tries to interfere with them, using these laws. That's why you need to be very careful in dealing with them. Unless it's your business to deal with these types of situations, they know what they're doing better than you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
I honestly feel that these people knew they were wrong right off the bat.
First, they told one of the neighbors that they bought the house from the bank. Second, when the police returned, they produced a fake lease and the fact that they were offered 1500 dollars to move and declined, also tells me they were wrong from the start.

If I felt that these people were honestly duped, I would take a little nicer approach but since my instincts say different, I have no compassion whatsoever for them.

Last edited by BBMW; 06-15-2014 at 12:05 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 10:25 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,967,037 times
How do they get in the homes? Do they break down a door and the fix it? As for foreclosures if banks maintained an alarm system wouldn't that take care of it on the front end even if a rent a cop responded to the alarm?

Old 06-17-2014, 10:42 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,953,163 times
There is a real problem going on in the Las Vegas Valley . Here are a couple of articles that address those problems and what can be done about them.

Police bust another marijuana grow house in Las Vegas - www.ktnv ...

www.jrn.com/.../Police-bust-another-grow-house-in-Las-Vegas-2425078...

Squatters, fires plague vacant building in downtown Las Vegas | Las ...

www.reviewjournal.com/.../squatters-fires...‎
Squatters, police vex rental owner | Las Vegas Review-Journal

www.reviewjournal.com/.../squatters-poli...‎
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas