Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:16 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The basic idea is there is only way to reduce the costs of health care, and that is to consume less health care.

For the past decades, our system has been more of an "all you can eat buffet" of health care - the costs of going to the doctor have been almost zero (a 10 or 20 dollar co-pay) and the costs of medical tests such as blood tests, x-rays, and the like have similarly been almost zero. Surprise, surprise, when the marginal cost of consuming medical care is very low, people consume a lot.

By moving to a high deductible scenario, each of us will think twice about running to the doctor for minor ailments.

I'm not a doctor, but if I were, I'd be pissed because fewer customers means less revenue for my business. That in turn forces more and more doctors into becoming employees of larger organizations such as hospital groups. Next step after that: my personal forecast is we'll see doctors unionizing to protect their interests, but that is another topic altogether.
If everybody sees doctors less, there is less revenue to the doctors, labs and hospitals. They will then charge more for every single procedure performed, because they still want to maintain or increase the revenue. Your insurance premium will not decrease after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 08:38 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
This is not correct information. For a family of four making less than $96,000 entitles
you to a subsidy. Being self employed does not prohibit you from obtaining a monthly premium reduction subsidy. You have a choice of estimating your yearly income and getting a monthly subsidy or you can wait until the end of the year and get it when you do your taxes. If you are too far off in your estimate, you can call them and it will be adjusted, or if you are off too much you will either get money back at the end of the year or have to pay the difference in what subsidy you received with your projected stated income.

Even making $90,000 a year gives you a nice subsidy. In fact for a family of four making $47,000 entitles you to cost sharing subsidies as well as premium subsidy, which makes your policy extremely affordable.

As an example: Making $90,000 a year for a family plan for 4, you can get a Gold Policy "Assurant Health Plan Gold 002" with a 0 Deductible, which is a PPO with a big network for $984.98 mo. (has a $280.50 subsidy) There are cheaper plans but I wanted to provide a good PPO for you. Or you could get a Bronze family plan for $489.96

If you made only $47,000 that same Gold policy would cost you only $510.97 (with a $754.51 subsidy) or the Bronze one would cost you $15.94. Or if you chose a Silver policy, you would receive cost sharing subsidies as well. They would cost you $198 to $298, and the deductible for the Assurant PPO would be reduced down to $500.
If you check those policies in "Market Place" (the policies that qualify for subsidies) with the comparable policies outside of "Market Place", you will see market place policies are more expensive.
In addition, the market place policies tell you the rates without subsidies vs with subsidies, the numbers just don't add up. For example, the market place tells you a plan's premium without subsidy is $300, and you are qualified for $100 subsidy. So, supposedly you should only pay $200 now, right? Nope, you pay $217. Why?

Old 12-12-2014, 10:44 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,480 times
My current individual healthplan was going to be "remapped" to a new ACA compliant plan with a new higher premium unless I decided to change plans and/or providers. After researching the available plans on Healthcare.gov, I opted to switch. The whole process was pretty easy. I am getting better coverage for about $200 less than what I would have been paying(tax credit due to estimated 2015 income). I cant complain. but have to get separate dental plan now

Old 12-12-2014, 11:14 AM

427 posts, read 630,703 times
If anyone needs help with plans, subsidies, etc, Nevada Health Link has a 'store' at Blvd Mall. I think it's open 7 days a week from 9a-9pm. They've taken over an empty store at the Mall and there are about 40 cubicles with trained advisors to assist people with questions. These advisors are not agents representing any company, but have been trained and certified in health insurance.
I was really impressed with the help I received.
(not sure how long the store will be open since the deadline is monday)

Old 12-12-2014, 11:53 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
My employer is based in SC, so all coverage would be through BCBS there, and out of network here. So I shopped around and found a Platinum plan with a $250 deductible that costs the same as my employer's contribution. I just had them add the amount they would pay anyway to my paycheck, and bought my own. I ended up choosing Nevada Health Co-Op Connected Platinum, and Alpha Dental.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:35 PM

698 posts, read 986,216 times
Just received notice in mail today that our current plan is being canceled AND the new plan replacing our plan is 18% more. Loving the affordable care act.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:47 PM

727 posts, read 1,057,244 times
I have an ACA policy through Nevada Health Coop. One of the provisions of the ACA was to create coops in states that lacked competition. Nevada Health Coop is closing at the end of the year. There were 22 coops created through the ACA and 19 of the 22 are having financial problems. Nevada Health Coop has slowed down their response and I hope they make it to the end of the year. I can't change providers until next year.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:02 PM

529 posts, read 512,460 times
The co-op is in receivership. I had Anthem from 2006 to 2014 but the policy wasn't ACA compliant because it didn't have obesity or drug counseling. I picked Anthem off the exchange but for whatever reason our doctor didn't take that version. I've gone down the list and none are taking new patients, all for much more than I paid before. Now I get notice it is going up another 25% in 2016, even though we can't use it and the deductible is double what it was in 2014.

I purposely did not choose the co-op. I'm not sure it could have been any worse though. Obamacare has been a disaster but the people behind it won't admit their mistake and fix it and the other side wants to repeal all of it.

The co-op borrowed $66 million and the Xerox exchange train wreck was $72 million, all for nothing. How can people with a straight face still defend this? It is affecting real families and I bet every single cheerleader doesn't get their insurance through the ACA system.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:14 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Just received notice in mail today that our current plan is being canceled AND the new plan replacing our plan is 18% more. Loving the affordable care act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
The co-op is in receivership. I had Anthem from 2006 to 2014 but the policy wasn't ACA compliant because it didn't have obesity or drug counseling. I picked Anthem off the exchange but for whatever reason our doctor didn't take that version. I've gone down the list and none are taking new patients, all for much more than I paid before. Now I get notice it is going up another 25% in 2016, even though we can't use it and the deductible is double what it was in 2014.

I purposely did not choose the co-op. I'm not sure it could have been any worse though. Obamacare has been a disaster but the people behind it won't admit their mistake and fix it and the other side wants to repeal all of it.

The co-op borrowed $66 million and the Xerox exchange train wreck was $72 million, all for nothing. How can people with a straight face still defend this? It is affecting real families and I bet every single cheerleader doesn't get their insurance through the ACA system.
Like any change in law, there will always be winners and losers. Every single one of my friends LOVES the ACA. Most Americans are much better off with the law. The ACA has been a Godsend for me. I have noticed that the people who complain about the ACA either cannot qualify for medicaid or for the subsidies.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:18 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Newsflash: you were getting the same increase BEFORE the affordable care act. The insurance companies won either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas