Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 08:26 PM

529 posts, read 512,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Mine essentially covers every last penny. I pay a token $20 co-pay for just about everything that isn't rhinoplasty and similar.

Any lesser insurance solution means that someone (usually the taxpayers) has to foot the bill for most health issues -- because the patient isn't going to. He or she will run up a whopping tab, and then declare bankruptcy and go on medicaid. That isn't a solution. And that's why the system is broken.

People need to step up and pay their fair share. I pay my fair share and all I get out of it is dental cleanings and an annual checkup. I don't know what will happen tomorrow. So as a responsible member of society, I have my healthcare sorted.

Just like I pay for premium auto insurance even though no company has ever had to pay a dime because of negligence on my part. I pay anyway because it's an uncertain future.

People who want to live like it's the third world (and I have been there and done that), should move to the third world and save the rest of us the bother of dealing with them.
You think if people can't get a discount on a doctor visit down to $20 they will just stiff the doctor or go to an ER instead? Most people can afford $80 to go to the doctor or half that to go to a nurse practitioner. Those that can't have Medicaid and public health clinics.

It is one thing to pay fair share and spend 10% more to get some people into the system. It is entirely another to just give them every step of the process for free. Also keep in mind that people with higher copays are less likely to go to the doctor for a minor ailment. That will become important as the doctor shortage gets worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 08:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
You think if people can't get a discount on a doctor visit down to $20 they will just stiff the doctor or go to an ER instead? Most people can afford $80 to go to the doctor or half that to go to a nurse practitioner. Those that can't have Medicaid and public health clinics.
And what happens if they fall down a flight of stairs and break their spine? Who pays then?

I'm not worried about the little bills. I'm worried about having to foot the cost of dialysis for 30 million people who let their health slide, and similar.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And what happens if they fall down a flight of stairs and break their spine? Who pays then?

I'm not worried about the little bills. I'm worried about having to foot the cost of dialysis for 30 million people who let their health slide, and similar.
This has nothing to do with doctor visits. Your post made it seem like you felt everybody should be able to go to the doctor for $20 but maybe I misunderstood it.

Quote:
Mine essentially covers every last penny. I pay a token $20 co-pay for just about everything that isn't rhinoplasty and similar.

Any lesser insurance solution means that someone (usually the taxpayers) has to foot the bill for most health issues -- because the patient isn't going to. He or she will run up a whopping tab, and then declare bankruptcy and go on medicaid. That isn't a solution. And that's why the system is broken.
I absolutely agree that everyone should have catastrophic coverage and that is very cheap, even for middle aged. We end up paying for that is they don't so we might as well get something out their pocket first. The ACA cost explosion partially comes from all of the minor and elective procedures forced into it, which is where I see the problem.

We may agree if I understand your follow up correctly.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
This has nothing to do with doctor visits. Your post made it seem like you felt everybody should be able to go to the doctor for $20 but maybe I misunderstood it.

I absolutely agree that everyone should have catastrophic coverage and that is very cheap, even for middle aged. We end up paying for that is they don't so we might as well get something out their pocket first. The ACA cost explosion partially comes from all of the minor and elective procedures forced into it, which is where I see the problem.

We may agree if I understand your follow up correctly.
The cost explosion happened prior to the ACA. That was just a government band-aid on a sucking chest wound health problem.

If everyone stepped up to the plate and paid for the kind of coverage I have, we wouldn't have any problems.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:33 PM

413 posts, read 1,589,322 times
And what if they can't afford your health care ? What then ?

Old 10-02-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
And what if they can't afford your health care ? What then ?
They can afford to play blackjack and a cigarette habit. This is a Las Vegas ACA thread, after all.

Every week one of the nitwits gives me crap that reads, "You're a cook. What do you know?"

Well, I know to have my healthcare sorted. That's one of the criteria that constitutes "acceptable employment." Since people on this forum claim to be smart, financially competent, and even high earners, then they can certainly sort out their own healthcare without whinging on about Obama and the ACA. This shouldn't even be an issue for all the power-players who populate this forum. "Yeah! Vegas Bay-Bee!"

Old 10-02-2015, 10:00 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Here's the problem, the losers (me) are having to pay for the "winners" (or losers depending on how you look at it) healthcare.
I know what you are insinuating, but you would be incorrect. I am 38 and have been working and paying into the system since I was 16 years old. I have never been a smoker, drinker or a drug user. I did everything right. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia in early 2014. I make $30 an hour, but I can only work part time because of my condition. Therefore, I get Medicaid. I could not get medicaid before the ACA for two reasons.

1. You had to have qualifying children to get medicaid prior to the ACA. I did not.

2. I would have failed the asset cap of $2,000. The ACA removed the asset cap.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:42 PM

698 posts, read 986,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I know what you are insinuating, but you would be incorrect. I am 38 and have been working and paying into the system since I was 16 years old. I have never been a smoker, drinker or a drug user. I did everything right. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia in early 2014. I make $30 an hour, but I can only work part time because of my condition. Therefore, I get Medicaid. I could not get medicaid before the ACA for two reasons.

1. You had to have qualifying children to get medicaid prior to the ACA. I did not.

Incorrect, see what I wrote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
You want to tax me to provide healthcare for those who legitimately cannot, I have no issues with that, I'll happily pay it but at least categorize it as a tax. Lie to me about taking away my plan, Drs. and then ram it up my a$$ every year, I have an issue with that.
In addition to the additional $ it's become a major pain in the A$$ having my last three health care plans canceled, having to change Drs twice, not easy. It's a PITA finding a new Dr for your family, then you have to contact the insurance company and tell them who your new Dr. is, and if they accidentally don't specify it in your file when you go see the Dr. they don't pay it and you get a notice, it's a bunch of bull****. Create a tax and let me do what I want with my own healthcare. As long as I'm not a burden on the other tax payers who cares? As Scoop says, I had my healthcare sorted out.

Last edited by qingguy; 10-02-2015 at 11:04 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 11:14 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
The answer was, and is, Medicare for everyone. It's the most efficient system we have out there, to the chagrin of the private payers with their bloated administrations, hassles, and inefficiencies.

With Medicare, you see any doctor you want that accepts Medicare ( most do ) and it travels from state to state. Why don't we have it? Lobbying and campaign contributions by Aetna , united healthcare, Humana and the other for- profit payers. Gotta keep those seven figure CEO salaries rolling in.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post

I'm very sorry to hear about your illness, but I am happy that the system was altered before you got sick so that people in your situation can get the care that you need. I hope it is available to you.

My critique of the system is not meant to imply in any way that I oppose coverage for people in your scenario. I am glad that the Medicaid restrictions were lifted and that Gov. Sandoval wasn't arrogant and accepted the expansion. I believe he was the only GOP governor that did so. There are other states where I think this would have been a much more difficult situation. I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas