Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 02:04 PM

635 posts, read 746,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Some properties change gate codes on a monthly basis or whenever compromised...or they just get stuck which my wife has seen plenty of times.(but anyway)

I am not grasping at anything. I already stated earlier that there are pros and cons of both situations. I have lived in gated communities before and could easily live in them again if we found something we liked. My personal preference is non-gated. But honestly it doesn't matter to me. I post both sides of just about everything we debate in this forum. Why? Because we have hundreds to thousands of people interested in these local topics that we discuss. My inbox fills up with questions or comments because of a what us is locals post.

Sometimes I am just a "proxy" for others who don't post often on this forum.

"What happens during emergencies? Do all emergency vehicles have a master code?"

I ask a question=You get defensive. And now I know why I receive comments or DMs instead of someone just posting openly on the forum.
Von...without getting too in to the security details of gated communities there are universal codes for law enforcement and other first responders.

I'm apologize if I seemed defensive when you asked that question. I just find it a little scary to believe people think first responders wouldn't have access during an emergency. There are laws/rules that gated communities must follow and one being full access of first responders to the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Or you can compare the LVCC to my non-gated community, and I would guarantee you that my neighborhood is safer. In the past calendar year, we had 1 noise complaint, and one burglary within a 3 block radius of my house.

That is the fallacy of pointing out that one specific gated neighborhood is safer than another, therefore, all gated neighborhoods are safer than all others.

Is a guard at a gate a deterrent? I would assume so. Do guard-gated communities appear more affluent? Sure. Would burglars rather steal expensive things, thus making those homes more of a target? I would hazard a guess that is true. How many burglaries have there been in LVCC this past year? That is really the only crime that a guard-gated community should have a lower rate of, as assault, murder, etc, is most often committed by a person whom you know, often in your house, so a guard at a gate a quarter mile away will have no impact on that.
Raiderman; You have to compare the area the gated community is in. If you lived right outside of the Las Vegas Country Club I would guarantee your area would not be safer. You can't compare a gated area to another area far off, we are talking about gated to non-gated so to prove the point you would need to use the area right outside of the gated area.

I also never said one gated area is safer than the other. I said gates provide a DETERRENT.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:37 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,789,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
Raiderman; You have to compare the area the gated community is in. If you lived right outside of the Las Vegas Country Club I would guarantee your area would not be safer. You can't compare a gated area to another area far off, we are talking about gated to non-gated so to prove the point you would need to use the area right outside of the gated area.

I also never said one gated area is safer than the other. I said gates provide a DETERRENT.
My neighborhood is directly across the street from a guard-gated golf course community. They also have non-guarded gates for residents. They have had 2 burglaries in the past year. My neighborhood has had 1. That was my point. I'm wondering if the other burglar targeted the house inside the gates because the houses are larger..

Old 01-22-2015, 03:20 PM

They may have thought there was more to steal in a larger nicer house...but also fail to realize that many of those houses even inside the gates have alarm systems. Again not knowing the facts of each burglary case (inside job, etc) I can't explain the numbers. Again off my experience and the example I gave earlier I think it is clear there is a deterrent with a gated property. Yes not crime proof by any means but a deterrent yes.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:35 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times
Quote:
Von...without getting too in to the security details of gated communities there are universal codes for law enforcement and other first responders.

I'm apologize if I seemed defensive when you asked that question. I just find it a little scary to believe people think first responders wouldn't have access during an emergency. There are laws/rules that gated communities must follow and one being full access of first responders to the property.
No biggie. We have pretty much established that gated communities provide a deterrent which certainly helps in a transient town like LV. But, I read somewhere that there are over 180 gated communities in town. Not including the 400+ gated apartments and condos. That is a lot of master gate codes for metro to keep up with.

Does anyone think LV has too many gated communities? Even the low income areas have a few.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
No biggie. We have pretty much established that gated communities provide a deterrent which certainly helps in a transient town like LV. But, I read somewhere that there are over 180 gated communities in town. Not including the 400+ gated apartments and condos. That is a lot of master gate codes for metro to keep up with.

Does anyone think LV has too many gated communities? Even the low income areas have a few.
Von...think universal code when it comes to this issue. I don't think Las Vegas has too many gated communities, to be quite honest what does it matter. If the community is just a community of houses or apartments who cares, it doesn't cause issue to anyone else who is not living there.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:17 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times
Quote:
Von...think universal code when it comes to this issue. I don't think Las Vegas has too many gated communities, to be quite honest what does it matter. If the community is just a community of houses or apartments who cares, it doesn't cause issue to anyone else who is not living there.
I think it reflects on the city itself. But to continue on this theory would side track this thread...

Locals are separated by gates, walls, cinder blocks and guards. But this is why people move here right?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:46 PM

I think many people move here based on a dream that at times turn in to a nightmare...lol. Las Vegas is a town built on outsiders coming in so maybe the gates, walls, etc make them feel more comfortable in their neighborhoods, not sure. But if someone wants to live in a gated community then that is their option, I really don't think it is a big deal. It may reflect on the city but the city is built on mostly private property, with exception of public roads, parks and other publicly owned property...like most cities. New York City for an example, you might not see the "gates" but as soon as you attempt to get in to one of those residential high rises you will most likely be stopped, that goes with most cities. If they don't have a security officer on site then most likely they have a lock on the door and a CCTV camera in the lobby.
If you are concerned about gates and how they reflect on the city I believe there are many more things that Las Vegas may "reflect" to outsiders.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:07 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,121,775 times
You are a scary person. I hope our paths never meet.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:33 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
My neighborhood is directly across the street from a guard-gated golf course community. They also have non-guarded gates for residents. They have had 2 burglaries in the past year. My neighborhood has had 1. That was my point. I'm wondering if the other burglar targeted the house inside the gates because the houses are larger..
When I was scouting around to buy a 2nd home in the Rosarito/Tijuana area, I looked at some guard-gated communities (Baja Malibu/San Antonio Del Mar) and then I got on a Baja forum, and someone asked about the safety in these communities, and, subsequently, it gave me 2nd thoughts.

Yes, it's happened, guards at the gates working with burglars, tipping them off as to when so-and-so will be away for a week, month, or months, and enjoying some kickbacks!

Of course, this is the U.S. of A, and that would never, ever, ever happen up here!

Perhaps? Perhaps? In the above-mentioned golf course community, it could have been a guard that helped to perpetrate the crime?

Oh, no, no, no! That just wouldn't happen up here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas