Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 11:05 PM

149 posts, read 346,889 times

Advertisements

So save your generalist vitriol. I presented his full quote so what wordsmithing are you referring to? Molony's statement was classic Madison Avenue allusion and apparently it still works on the non-thinking among us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Uhh and of course he added "and it can never go down in the future"

You are word smithing worse than NAR does. He made the true statement that there had not been a year to year price drop on a full year basis. He then added that it had happened for six months. So He quite correctly observed that it could happen.

Any you read that that he meant it could not happen.

If that is the best you can do I hold to my initial view. You guys lie vastly worse than NAR. You ascribe to them things they never said..and in quotes.

I trust the list notes that truth is not high on your list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:04 AM

307 posts, read 927,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Its funny that the federal gov't will bail out huge financial corporations but not individual homeowners. If only there were a homeowner's lobby in Washington DC!
If the federal government hadn't bailed Bear Stearns, there could have been a run on the banks. The reprecussions throughout the economy would have been disasterious for the stock market and the economy as a whole.

Remember those big bad corporations employ a lot of people. Think about the effects on Las Vegas if MGM and/or Ceasars went bankrupt.

The government bailed out Chrysler in the 1970's and unfortunately a big corporation will always be more important to save than an individual homeowner.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:16 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpercar View Post
So save your generalist vitriol. I presented his full quote so what wordsmithing are you referring to? Molony's statement was classic Madison Avenue allusion and apparently it still works on the non-thinking among us.
You enlisted. I know who wrote what. I was referring to your contention that this was close to or easily misunderstood to mean "RE never goes down". What he said was precisely the opposite and he cited an example.

Wordsmithing implies picking your words to imply that which is quite untrue...and you did.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:35 PM

Default He said real estate has only gone down once in 40 years

And somehow that is "precisely the opposite" of never going down? You are precisely using the word precisely wrong.

I didn't pick his words, he did. It's his quote. Drawing conclusions and opinions about another person's quote is not called wordsmithing. It's called drawing conclusions and opinions about another person's quote.

Quote:
You enlisted. I know who wrote what. I was referring to your contention that this was close to or easily misunderstood to mean "RE never goes down". What he said was precisely the opposite and he cited an example.

Wordsmithing implies picking your words to imply that which is quite untrue...and you did.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:55 PM

289 posts, read 1,039,755 times
It's difficult to trust realtors when David Lereah of the National Association of Realtors was spewing this garbage just a few years ago:

"...housing activity will remain healthy for some time to come."
- David Lereah, NAR’s chief economist, October 28, 2005

“The continuing shortages of housing inventory are driving the price gains. There is no evidence of bubbles popping.”
- David Lereah, NAR’s chief economist, August 2005

Well we all know how THAT turned out. What a charlatan.

He also did a Powerpoint presentation in 2005 which specifically mocked the "chicken littles" who were saying home prices would fall:

chickenlittle.jpg (image)

Considering how wrong he was... considering how fast and furious the housing market has unwound -- and thus invaldiating everything Lereah EVER SAID -- give me a good reason why should we trust a realtor?

Last edited by dude66; 05-08-2008 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
And somehow that is "precisely the opposite" of never going down? You are precisely using the word precisely wrong.

I didn't pick his words, he did. It's his quote. Drawing conclusions and opinions about another person's quote is not called wordsmithing. It's called drawing conclusions and opinions about another person's quote.
It is attempting to read into a statement that is clearly the oppsite of what he said. That in my mind is the worse kind of wordsmithing. "He did not say it but I will claim he did." "Or they he implied it" "Or the poor consumer could have been mislead" "Or some poor person in rural Indiana with an IQ of 75 may have misunderstood". That is wordsmithing on your part..

What he said was also historically correct I think. At that point yoy numbers had been down for sixth months in 48 years.

I would think it remains a relatively low probability in any year if for no other reason than inflation. But there will be the rare exception such as the one at the moment.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude66 View Post
It's difficult to trust realtors when David Lereah of the National Association of Realtors was spewing this garbage just a few years ago:

"...housing activity will remain healthy for some time to come."
- David Lereah, NAR’s chief economist, October 28, 2005

“The continuing shortages of housing inventory are driving the price gains. There is no evidence of bubbles popping.”
- David Lereah, NAR’s chief economist, August 2005

Well we all know how THAT turned out. What a charlatan.

He also did a Powerpoint presentation in 2005 which specifically mocked the "chicken littles" who were saying home prices would fall:

chickenlittle.jpg (image)

Considering how wrong he was... considering how fast and furious the housing market has unwound -- and thus invaldiating everything Lereah EVER SAID -- give me a good reason why should we trust a realtor?
You are all continuing to duck the issue. You collectively have made the charge that Realtors claim the Home prices never go down.

You attempt to support that apparently by proving that the NAR economists have said dull things. I agree. The NAR economists have and will again say dull things.

But you still have no source for the base charge. Realtors do not, have not and will not claim RE prices always go up. There are and have been dozens of incidents where that has proven untrue over many years.

But you doomsayers propogate that vicious smear as gospel. I call you on it and you want to change the subject.

Having by now beaten a path through every known channel where you might find such a quote those of you who have an honest bone left should admit that it is in fact a lie.

Having

Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 PM

Default You just don't get it

You can't seem to grasp selective context and allusion. The guy said prices had only gone down once in 40 years. What he didn't mention was that prices had never risen as quickly in those 40 years or that income and rent ratios had never approached those levels in those 40 years. Nope, he just says prices have only gone down once in 40 years. A floating statement with no context or meaning other than the meaning he intends to misrepresent in the mind of the listener. Then he talks nonsense about inventory and supply and demand, neither of which had any relevance to the housing and credit bubble.

NAR isn't stupid. They're just like any other self-serving propaganda organization. I gotta hand it to them though; any organization that can get blatantly monopolistic policies passed as the law of the land has their act (or should I say PAC) together.

Quote:
It is attempting to read into a statement that is clearly the oppsite of what he said. That in my mind is the worse kind of wordsmithing. "He did not say it but I will claim he did." "Or they he implied it" "Or the poor consumer could have been mislead" "Or some poor person in rural Indiana with an IQ of 75 may have misunderstood". That is wordsmithing on your part..

What he said was also historically correct I think. At that point yoy numbers had been down for sixth months in 48 years.

I would think it remains a relatively low probability in any year if for no other reason than inflation. But there will be the rare exception such as the one at the moment.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
You can't seem to grasp selective context and allusion. The guy said prices had only gone down once in 40 years. What he didn't mention was that prices had never risen as quickly in those 40 years or that income and rent ratios had never approached those levels in those 40 years. Nope, he just says prices have only gone down once in 40 years. A floating statement with no context or meaning other than the meaning he intends to misrepresent in the mind of the listener. Then he talks nonsense about inventory and supply and demand, neither of which had any relevance to the housing and credit bubble.

NAR isn't stupid. They're just like any other self-serving propaganda organization. I gotta hand it to them though; any organization that can get blatantly monopolistic policies passed as the law of the land has their act (or should I say PAC) together.
And you simply refuse to admit that the flat out lie is a lie. Right up there with Goebels. Repeat the lie enough it becomes fact.

What the guy did was harmless. He pointed out, correctly, that the national market over a long time frame has marched primarily upward. But He knew, and every thinking person knew, that locallly there had been innumerable times and places where RE went down substantially year over year. In many cases it was close to permanent. ie There is a poster here with River front property on the Mississippi that has been losing value for some years. And selling at all in MI is an extremely difficult task even if you own the house outright.

So you doomsayers push these idiots positions as if they are Gospel and then retreat behind harmless hyperbole when challenged.

Face it. It is an outright and obnoxious lie. Competent Agent do not use such appeals and your brainless insistence upon the truth of the statement tells us more about your lack of intellect and/or ethics than anything else.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 AM

Default Tell me exactly what I'm "lying" about

And be specific. And ethics - what are you even talking about?

Quote:
And you simply refuse to admit that the flat out lie is a lie. Right up there with Goebels. Repeat the lie enough it becomes fact.

What the guy did was harmless. He pointed out, correctly, that the national market over a long time frame has marched primarily upward. But He knew, and every thinking person knew, that locallly there had been innumerable times and places where RE went down substantially year over year. In many cases it was close to permanent. ie There is a poster here with River front property on the Mississippi that has been losing value for some years. And selling at all in MI is an extremely difficult task even if you own the house outright.

So you doomsayers push these idiots positions as if they are Gospel and then retreat behind harmless hyperbole when challenged.

Face it. It is an outright and obnoxious lie. Competent Agent do not use such appeals and your brainless insistence upon the truth of the statement tells us more about your lack of intellect and/or ethics than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas