Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2008, 04:21 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Palm View Post
Whoa! Don't act like all realtors are created equal! There are some of us who bend over backwards to help our clients and be honest!

While I am not a realtor in vegas yet, I am one on the east coast, and we have an obligation to to be honest with buyers and sellers or lose our license!

I would hope Nv is the same!

A dishonest realtor is scum in my book!
"Bending over backwards", or @realtor enthusiasm is not my concern. What I find disturbing is the "average Joe", is willing to pay the standard 6% commission to a @realtor-----who can do NO more, or has access to NO more than anyone else. With a minimal amount of woodshedding, and research, the average citizen will easily become more proficient than all but a small percentange of the 18,000+ @realtors in LV Metro. Such a high commission for this minimal, and often questionable service only proves the phrase-----"there's a sucker born every minute".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 08:22 AM

375 posts, read 609,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
Hi All,

Like everyone I am quite concerned about the housing market. I purchased my house 3 years ago, I put 20% down, and now it is worth half of what I bought it for. The bad thing is I really need to move due to a very sick Dad. I know, so many story's like this right now.

But what I wanted to ask this forum is if they had heard about the Mortgages being resent to current value, for home owners who are upside down on there mortgage (most everyone). I have been hearing about this from a few friends that are in the mortgage business. ...........

If anyone has heard of this or has any info I would enjoy hearing what you know.
All I can tell you is my experience. Things will start to move when you miss a payment. Before that - calls weren't even returned. They offered to negotiate after that. There is really little incentive for them to do anything until you make a move and show therm that you are serious. They are not your friends and they do not care about your personal situation. They will only do what is best for them. You should do the same.
This is one of the first times as an industry they are on the other side of the financial equation. Some will deal - other won't. Some move fairly quickly and others are slow as molasses.

But I think I can safely say that they will only do whatever is in their best financial interest.

There is some movement with a new bill passed by the house. Nevada congress members support it but Bush threatened a veto so it may be too late for your situation. Call your congressmen and ask them what it's all about. Look into renting it - maybe at lower than market rates to help with the payments. Good luck

Old 05-10-2008, 09:15 AM

818 posts, read 3,699,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
"Bending over backwards", or @realtor enthusiasm is not my concern. What I find disturbing is the "average Joe", is willing to pay the standard 6% commission to a @realtor-----who can do NO more, or has access to NO more than anyone else. With a minimal amount of woodshedding, and research, the average citizen will easily become more proficient than all but a small percentange of the 18,000+ @realtors in LV Metro. Such a high commission for this minimal, and often questionable service only proves the phrase-----"there's a sucker born every minute".
Does the average Joe have access to enter a home into the MLS?

Old 05-10-2008, 10:03 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop01 View Post
All I can tell you is my experience. Things will start to move when you miss a payment. Before that - calls weren't even returned. They offered to negotiate after that. There is really little incentive for them to do anything until you make a move and show therm that you are serious. They are not your friends and they do not care about your personal situation. They will only do what is best for them. You should do the same.
This is one of the first times as an industry they are on the other side of the financial equation. Some will deal - other won't. Some move fairly quickly and others are slow as molasses.

But I think I can safely say that they will only do whatever is in their best financial interest.

There is some movement with a new bill passed by the house. Nevada congress members support it but Bush threatened a veto so it may be too late for your situation. Call your congressmen and ask them what it's all about. Look into renting it - maybe at lower than market rates to help with the payments. Good luck
so you are saying to this poster, he has to miss a payment before the lender will talk to them... even if he does talk to them, they are not going to renegotiate the loan after one payment missed... and when that one payment missed shows up on the credit report, he is screwed, his score will drop dramatically

Old 05-10-2008, 10:39 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:

I generally agree with Coop...I would however strongly suggest trying to hang in there until the house bill runs its course. Should not be long.

The lenders are in a triage situation. They have limited resources for the task. They use a missed payment as a major indicator.

Some people are claiming some success. GreatDay in Phoenix who runs a relatively large office says he is having some good results.

The house bill may well provide an outlet and let people recover. Have to see the real product but it sounds rational. So, if possible try and hang in there. If not you may have to miss a payment. Stay owner occupied. You may find that non-owner occupied won't work when the thing gets done.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:14 AM

151 posts, read 246,466 times
To anyone thinking of missing payments on their owner occupied, primary residence you might rethink that Idea. The bills comming through congress will be directed at folks who are doing their best to handle a bad situation. Those who oppose the bill are trying to keep it from making whole investors, bad credit risks, those who mis spent equity derived from refinancing and taking out monies for non home use. Most importantly the bill or bills should address only those who have owner occupied, primary residences that are in financial difficulty. Those who are arguing against the bill do not want to reward those who were just plain fiscally irresponsible or who used the system without regard for the consequences. However the bill comes out, don't take a chance on not being one of those who it will cover. If you can make your payments go ahead and make them. Hopefully this bill will come out soon. Again, I am not an expert but you might go on line and see how these bills are drafted and are being amended.

FOD

Old 05-10-2008, 11:18 AM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,864,182 times
Quote:
Wow, can't believe no one has commented on this video.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:30 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk View Post
Wow, can't believe no one has commented on this video.
Puffery...Not the ad I would run but not particularly objectionable.

How about...

YouTube - National Association of Realtors Ad

Old 05-10-2008, 11:55 AM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,864,182 times
The video you point to is the one that is puffery and unobjectionable. I have no idea what point you're making by posting that one other than to deflect from discussing what Coop posted.

The video that ran a year ago has such memorable quotes as:
"It's always a good time to buy"
"It's a great move up market"
"Interest rates are low!"

And a real classic from May 2007:
"This is the best market in years"

Old 05-10-2008, 12:04 PM

149 posts, read 346,972 times
Default I agree it's puffery

But puffery which leads people into a buying decision that puts them $100k in the hole is sorta on a different level than P&G claiming that Tide gets clothes so bright they sparkle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Puffery...Not the ad I would run but not particularly objectionable.

How about...

YouTube - National Association of Realtors Ad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas