Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 06:21 AM

208 posts, read 350,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Your doing a service 99% of people won't do daddy's and I salute you for it. Out of curiosity, do you feel like anyone there is getting rehabilitated or is it really just a place where criminals become even more hardened?
Obviously I cant speak for NV, but my mother was a drug and alcohol counselor for NYS dept of corrections and she said it was a joke...99% of the people she treated were going to be put right back into the same environment they came from and didn't stand a chance. The problem is the state has to try or they get hammered for running a system with a non stop revolving door. Prisons are kind of a win less situation. If you lock them down 23hrs a day and treat them the way most of us would like, you could never let them out because they'd be homicidal maniacs... you spend billions trying to rehabilitate complete scumbags and you're throwing 90% of the money away. Not sure there is an answer...smarter people than me have been working on it for a 100 yrs and you can see where we are. Maybe 2 strikes then a bullet would work

Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
aqualung my friend....I know you won't start away uneasy...sounds like you were in good hands! Nurses and Respiratory Therapists both are essential to people improving in the hospitals. I'm glad you're losing weight, man. That is very cool. Stick to it and when you're ready head back in to the work force. But that's a topic for another day, the Las Vegas workforce.

aqualung, lvd or anyone else, have you seen this video filmed over Jerusalem? Just smoke, light and mirrors or what? Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7RF87eEUXmM

Old 02-25-2011, 01:32 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuse View Post
Obviously I cant speak for NV, but my mother was a drug and alcohol counselor for NYS dept of corrections and she said it was a joke...99% of the people she treated were going to be put right back into the same environment they came from and didn't stand a chance. The problem is the state has to try or they get hammered for running a system with a non stop revolving door. Prisons are kind of a win less situation. If you lock them down 23hrs a day and treat them the way most of us would like, you could never let them out because they'd be homicidal maniacs... you spend billions trying to rehabilitate complete scumbags and you're throwing 90% of the money away. Not sure there is an answer...smarter people than me have been working on it for a 100 yrs and you can see where we are. Maybe 2 strikes then a bullet would work

I would have guessed as much but I like to hear it directly rather than assume. I worked for 3 years at a locked down treatment center for teens in trouble with the law and/or having psychological problems. One 18 year old schizophrenic tipped a vending machine over on his mom, crushing her. The job turned into glorified babysitting real fast. The "clinicians" would just hide in their offices while the front line dealt with teens going berserk trying to literally kill us. I've been stabbed, bit, punched and assaulted in any way you can think and we were never allowed to hit back even though a lot of these kids were 18-19. The main goal was containment. Contain them until their court date at all costs. Most of the people there with advanced degrees had long given up on the cause. Very sad state of affairs and a massive waste of money. Pharmaceutical companies were in on a weekly basis buying the doctor massive lunches and lavishing her with gifts. Soon after each meeting, many kids received the drug they were pushing and sometimes even a new diagnosis to substantiate giving it.

From my observations having worked in the field, mental health has become just another multi billion dollar business. There is no desire to help the mentally ill because each one of them can create enormous profits. Turn on the TV for 10 minutes and you have companies trying to convince you that you're mentally ill and need to take this and that. One of the first things I was told going into the field was to not get attached, don't care about the patient. It's so ingrained into people in the field that those who do actually care are labeled unprofessional. Good luck with that. We will see a lot more crazed gunmen until the country wakes up to the fact that facilities are already overflowing with the mentally ill. There isn't room or extra funding to put everyone locked away.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 PM

369 posts, read 772,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Burn Care Unit??? Were you smoking sticks in bed? Did I miss something?
Burn units often are used for folks with specialized surgical wounds as burn units are skin and tissue experts. If aqua's doc has some concerns with healing he may want that expertise. Makes sense from the nursing perspective.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:22 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
aqualung my friend....I know you won't start away uneasy...sounds like you were in good hands! Nurses and Respiratory Therapists both are essential to people improving in the hospitals. I'm glad you're losing weight, man. That is very cool. Stick to it and when you're ready head back in to the work force. But that's a topic for another day, the Las Vegas workforce.

aqualung, lvd or anyone else, have you seen this video filmed over Jerusalem? Just smoke, light and mirrors or what? Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7RF87eEUXmM
Hmmm...looks fishy to me, and I'm pretty sure that I saw a UFO once back in California. Very unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I would have guessed as much but I like to hear it directly rather than assume. I worked for 3 years at a locked down treatment center for teens in trouble with the law and/or having psychological problems. One 18 year old schizophrenic tipped a vending machine over on his mom, crushing her. The job turned into glorified babysitting real fast. The "clinicians" would just hide in their offices while the front line dealt with teens going berserk trying to literally kill us. I've been stabbed, bit, punched and assaulted in any way you can think and we were never allowed to hit back even though a lot of these kids were 18-19. The main goal was containment. Contain them until their court date at all costs. Most of the people there with advanced degrees had long given up on the cause. Very sad state of affairs and a massive waste of money. Pharmaceutical companies were in on a weekly basis buying the doctor massive lunches and lavishing her with gifts. Soon after each meeting, many kids received the drug they were pushing and sometimes even a new diagnosis to substantiate giving it.

From my observations having worked in the field, mental health has become just another multi billion dollar business. There is no desire to help the mentally ill because each one of them can create enormous profits. Turn on the TV for 10 minutes and you have companies trying to convince you that you're mentally ill and need to take this and that. One of the first things I was told going into the field was to not get attached, don't care about the patient. It's so ingrained into people in the field that those who do actually care are labeled unprofessional. Good luck with that. We will see a lot more crazed gunmen until the country wakes up to the fact that facilities are already overflowing with the mentally ill. There isn't room or extra funding to put everyone locked away.
My mom and stepfather were psychiatric technicians back at Napa State Hospital. Do they have similar titles here in Nevada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
Burn units often are used for folks with specialized surgical wounds as burn units are skin and tissue experts. If aqua's doc has some concerns with healing he may want that expertise. Makes sense from the nursing perspective.
They keep changing the doctor I've been seeing in follow up. The last one was a kid med student from UNLV. Would you believe they only get paid $9 per hour?!?

Old 02-26-2011, 03:03 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Hmmm...looks fishy to me, and I'm pretty sure that I saw a UFO once back in California. Very unusual.

aqualung-please describe what the UFO looked like that you're pretty sure you saw. While driving with my wife and son and a friend way back in 1983 on the Olympic Peninsula of western Washington state I saw something fall from a silo bin. It was green and metallic. I remember it very clearly to this day... but still don't know it's shape distinctly in my mind. My wife and son didn't see it-it wasn't something they would be working on there, that was a saw mill for wood-this was metallic and green in color.

It would have been way more frustrating if no one else in the car had seen it, but our friend piped up "What was that?!!"

"I dunno", I remember saying back to him. "Did anyone else see it?" I wanted to know. I still remember trying to figure out what that might have been. It was not in the shape of a craft...it shone brightly in the sun...fell up and out of a silo bin, and dropped quickly to the ground. Doesn't make any sense. But our friend saw it too.

This one over Jerusalem is cool in that it hovers of the Temple Rock there in Jerusalem for a while, then it's like it takes a picture of the area, then shoots up very, very quickly.

I miss listening to Art Bell on his 'Coast to Coast' show down there in Pahrump by you guys. Hosted now by George Noory, who does a good job, but it's not the same show without Art Bell. I wish he would come back. The most amusing UFO story in history is still the famous Roswell, NM, incident of July 4, 1947. Earlier that year airline pilots saw several disc-shaped objects flying around Mount Rainier in Washington state, and they hadn't seen anything like that before. Collaborated by more than one pilot, good, sound, stable airline pilots, too.

The Roswell, NM, incident occurred only three months later and the rest, as they say, is purely history.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
My first wife was an RN who ended up for a few years specializing in burn care. In Rochester NY there were two burn teams who were basically all private duty nurses. The teams only worked 1/2 time or less though they might work 6 and 7 days at various times...The burn units in the major hospitals were basically unstaffed. They were just beds unless a burn victim was around.

Then they would get one of the burn teams in.

Very nice physical units by the way. Sterility and cleaniless are the only hope of survival for a bad burn.

I never understood why she liked it so much. Very hard duty and very hard on the soul...you spend an awful lot of time hurting someone.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:04 AM

208 posts, read 350,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
My first wife was an RN who ended up for a few years specializing in burn care. In Rochester NY there were two burn teams who were basically all private duty nurses. The teams only worked 1/2 time or less though they might work 6 and 7 days at various times...The burn units in the major hospitals were basically unstaffed. They were just beds unless a burn victim was around.

Very nice physical units by the way. Sterility and cleaniless are the only hope of survival for a bad burn.

I never understood why she liked it so much. Very hard duty and very hard on the soul...you spend an awful lot of time hurting someone.
That might be one of the toughest jobs there is. One of my best friends grew up on a farm and had a gas engine tractor blow up on him one morning before school. I cant remember the percentage of his body burned or how long he was in a coma...but he was toast. They did a great job on the scars he has on his face, but his arms look like burnt chicken skin...Ive known him since high school and Ive never seen him wear shorts but he says his legs are worse than his arms. But he said the nurses in the burn unit were great - said it was torture, but they were the only thing that got him through it. So like you said Olecapt it takes a very special person to do it...and thankfully there are people who can do it. To be able to hurt someone (especially a kid) in order to help them might be the hardest thing there is...

Old 02-27-2011, 01:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Quote:

Truly helping others is a gift that is more valuable than any amount of money and possessions. If more people understood this, they would not only want to give but they would bend over backwards to help.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:

Most people, I would imagine, would get "burnt out" from a job like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas