Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 04:18 PM

762 posts, read 1,562,309 times

Advertisements

Being from a place where I care for a man who used to dance, sing like Frank Sinatra and looked like a cross between Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. Who now cannot walk, sing, dance or speak, swalllowing is hard, wears diapers and will soon be a total vegetable. I wish Jack Kevorkian was able to do more than he did. I am a big fan of assisted suicide and wouldn't wish this disease on my dog. And if I had what he has, I would 100% kill myself in the cleanest most effective way possible.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,594,394 times
Default Fundraiser for "Alyssa"

In regards to the girl who was recently murdered...there is a fundraiser being held tonight, at the Fremont Street experience zip line, to benefit the Rape Crisis Center.

My son and his youth group will all be going...so sad to see her photo...

Here is a link....

Fundraiser Set for Murder Victim | Community Spirit | Northwest News (http://northwest.8newsnow.com/news/community-spirit/112575-fundraiser-set-murder-victim - broken link)

Old 09-28-2011, 05:38 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Ummm...that's why the work of Dr. Kevorkian was so critical...no one has to go either way. He fought for dignified euthanasia...you know, like what we lovingly give to our pets when their time is done, to save them from cruel and unnecessary suffering. Believe me...I have witnessed, and so has tijlover, and many of us have...that there is a point for many when their useful and meaningful lives has passed...and they sit there wishing for death to take them to bring on the inevitable.

Tij shouldn't have to keep his gun for when that time comes for him...and I shouldn't have to sit in the car. But rest assured...if dignified euthanasia laws are not passed if...and when I get to that point (and I do beleive they will be in all 50 states in my lifetime)...I will take matters into in my own hand.

It's my life...and my death...on my terms.

Tij and I are not alone in this thinking. Try to keep an open mind as you read on...

Essay: The right to die - The New York Times
The thing I see is that had their been legal euthanasia at those times you were both feeling so depressed you wanted to die, you wouldn't be writing right now. So, good thing it wasn't an option. At least for the people who love you. I feel sorry for the mentally ill people who do not have a support system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
You didn't get my point about a fatal illness.
"Others are involved" when people die of medical illnesses too.

It is NO DIFFERENT. A fatal illness is a fatal illness.

But no one gets angry by being abandoned by a person dying from a medical illness.
First of all, when you lose someone to the natural process of aging, that's one thing. You are sad, but it is more acceptable, for the most part. You better believe I have felt extreme anger over losing someone who I felt was much too young to die. Both ways...suicide and illness. Neither are a walk in the park, but one is a CHOICE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
Being from a place where I care for a man who used to dance, sing like Frank Sinatra and looked like a cross between Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. Who now cannot walk, sing, dance or speak, swalllowing is hard, wears diapers and will soon be a total vegetable. I wish Jack Kevorkian was able to do more than he did. I am a big fan of assisted suicide and wouldn't wish this disease on my dog. And if I had what he has, I would 100% kill myself in the cleanest most effective way possible.
Now, this is where JK was effective. I met him here in MI at the local community college. He was having a cup of coffee and talking to a group of us. Very interesting man. He was my father's pathologist instructor at the Police force academy he attended. My father said he was a very passionate man when it came to living a good life or dying. I agree with you and there should be some way that when you are of sound mind, you can make this decision and have it legally upheld by your loved ones. Watching someone lose all dignity, without any say, is just wrong. And heartbreaking.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:56 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
I will say a prayer for you ski...it must be so rough. He was lucky to have you to go through this with him. And you were lucky to share the good times with him.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
In regards to the girl who was recently murdered...there is a fundraiser being held tonight, at the Fremont Street experience zip line, to benefit the Rape Crisis Center.

My son and his youth group will all be going...so sad to see her photo...

Here is a link....

Fundraiser Set for Murder Victim | Community Spirit | Northwest News (http://northwest.8newsnow.com/news/community-spirit/112575-fundraiser-set-murder-victim - broken link)
Such a sad and senseless loss. The effin POS who did this deserves torture.

Give the two businesses (FSE and Ziplinez) credit for organizing this.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:04 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
A first-grade teacher, Ms Brooks, was having trouble with one of her students. The teacher asked, 'Harry, what's your problem?'
Harry answered, 'I'm too smart for the 1st grade. My sister is in the 3rd grade and I'm smarter than she is! I think I should be in the 3rd grade too!'
Ms. Brooks had had enough. She took Harry to the principal's office.
While Harry waited in the outer office, the teacher explained to the principal what the situation was. The principal told Ms. Brooks he would give the boy a test. If he failed to answer any of his questions he was to go back to the 1st grade and behave. She agreed.
Harry was brought in and the conditions were explained to him and he agreed to take the test.
Principal:
'What is 3 x 3?'
Harry:
'9.'
Principal:
'What is 6 x 6?'
Harry:
'36.'
And so it went with every question the principal thought a 3rd grader should know.
The principal looks at Ms. Brooks and tells her, 'I think Harry can go to the 3rd grade'
Ms. Brooks says to the principal, 'Let me ask him some questions..'
The principal and Harry both agreed.
Ms. Brooks asks, 'What does a cow have four of that I have only two of?'
Harry, after a moment: 'Legs.'
Ms. Brooks: 'What is in your pants that you have but I do not have?'
The principal wondered why would she ask such a question!
Harry replied: 'Pockets.'
Ms. Brooks: 'What does a dog do that a man steps into?'
Harry: 'Pants.'
The principal sat forward with his mouth hanging open.
Ms. Brooks: 'What goes in hard and pink then comes out soft and sticky?'
The principal's eyes opened really wide and before he could stop the answer, Harry replied, 'Bubble gum.'
Ms. Brooks: 'What does a man do standing up, a woman does sitting down and a dog does on three legs?'
Harry: 'Shake hands .'
The principal was trembling.
Ms. Brooks: 'What word starts with an 'F' and ends in 'K' that means a lot of heat and excitement?'
Harry:
'Firetruck.'
The principal breathed a sigh of relief and told the
teacher, 'Put Harry in the fifth-grade, I got the last seven questions wrong.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
macgeek-rotflmao! Now that is a funny one.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha0608 View Post
It is different. Someone who doesn't beat cancer and dies is different from someone who makes the mental choice to kill themselves. We can go back and forth all you want, but to me I see a huge difference.
I've met up with too many chronically depressed individuals who have taken the coward's route, as opposed to suicide, and had a long draw-out "suicide" via drugs and alcohol. And that's really what alcoholism is all about: a slower form of suicide, which can impact family members everso much as offing themselves with a gun.

At work, there's a chronically depressed individual at 45, who ended up on Social Security Disability as a result of chronic alcoholism over the years. He was found near death on the streets, homeless. Neuropathy now affliciting the lower part of his body. Into the facility he comes, they continually put a "band-aid" on him, which only last 100 days under social security, back to the streets, back to drinking. Please! Summon up the courage, quit draining our fragile government resources, and step in front of a semi if you can't afford a gun! And your family members will finally show some respect for you!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Please! Summon up the courage, quit draining our fragile government resources, and step in front of a semi if you can't afford a gun! And your family members will finally show some respect for you!
Just when I thought you knew what you were talking about...then this! Someone who has decided to commit suicide should NEVER involve an innocent party(ies) into their death act! If they decide suicide is their way out, then they should do it on their own. Why mess up the life of the driver of the semi, who would have to live his life with that guilt?????

Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've met up with too many chronically depressed individuals who have taken the coward's route, as opposed to suicide, and had a long draw-out "suicide" via drugs and alcohol. And that's really what alcoholism is all about: a slower form of suicide, which can impact family members everso much as offing themselves with a gun.
This is so true. I guess the family holds on to the hope that they will rehab themselves. Happens once in a great while. No hope with suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas