Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times

Advertisements

We have limits on how much help we can give, JFK, since we're not a mutual aid society. Besides, I haven't paid my dues for the year yet. ^_^;

I might have deal in the works to sell my truck, get a car, and keep my apartment. A friend of my sister's husband is interested in it. We've drawn up a fair contract to be notarized, since's he's a bit of a hustler. If he doesn't work out, my sister has another co-worker who's interested in it.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:41 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
We're all pretty concerned about you and trying to come up with suggestions that might be helpful. Great news that you may have someone interested in your truck but it sounds confusing that you would have to draw up a contract. Sounds like possibly this person wants you to carry him or doesn't have all the money. I'd try to get a clean deal so you don't add to your problems.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:56 PM

Also, I checked out your truck on CL. Nice looking and good pictures. Very high mileage though. That could be an expensive ride to maintain, especially with that mileage on it. Remember, people are not what they drive. It's just metal that gets one conveniently from point A to point B and depreciates rapidly. An economical car with better car mileage and lower insurance rates would be a much better proposition at this time. I don't know if anyone else will agree with me on this but I was concerned that your CL ad showed financial desperation and would most likely make interested buyers take advantage of you on this. What do you all think?

Old 10-18-2009, 02:10 PM

The person I'm dealing with now doesn't have all of the money up front, but he can afford the payments I'm proposing to him. An added bonus is that we'll trade vehicles. He has a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am that used to belong to me. Long story. I don't know if he will want to give it up, but it's to his advantage to do so. We'll both have running vehicles, and I'll have money to tide me over until I can find another job. The title won't change to his name until he pays off the contract. If he doesn't go for this, there's another person at my sister's work who's interested, and she'd probably be able to pay me in full.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Aqualung,

Seriously, run, do not walk away from that deal. You are not a bank, and you have no business financing others, especially in your current situation. The only way would be if the guy has $4,500, and is short $500, then I would say go for it. However, I suspect this is not the case at all. He can wreck, abuse, or otherwise damage the truck. Also, he will be driving the truck in your name with your plates until it is paid off. You are opening yourself to so many potentials liabilities than you can dream of Forget it, you are just going to dig yourself deeper into the hole. Instead, I would talk to the guy at your sister's work, and tell him it is a cash only deal. At this point, I really would throw it on Ebay on a no reserve auction if your sister's coworker doesn't work out.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:34 PM

This will be notarized deal, LVD, paid with Cashiers Checks, and payment receipts. In the first payment, he'll push back the title loan by one month, and in the second he'll pay it off. If he misses a single payment, the truck will revert back to me, with the loan paid off. My brother in law wrote up the contract last night, and it's a thing of beauty. He seriously should have been a lawyer. I only have one week left, so I don't have a lot of options. The problem with the eBay route is that I'd have to pay a seller's fee, which I don't have. The guy I might be selling it to also does mechanical work, and I've seen the good condition he keeps his other cars in.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:29 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
I watch Judge Judy daily, and these deals almost always wind up getting ugly. But, to each his own. I think I gave you the link before, but here it is again. On Ebay, you only have to pay the $125 seller fee if you sell the car, and that is only after the buyer has paid the full price for the vehicle....

eBay Motors -

Old 10-18-2009, 05:39 PM

As LVD wisely mentioned, do you have yourself covered if this buyer should total the car while he is in possession of it. If he misses a payment, how will you force him to return it? Couldn't he just turn criminal on you, ditch the truck and tell you it had been stolen? Then I don't think you could file an insurance claim on it with that squirrelly sales contract existing where he was in possession of it and had paid something on it but in reality, you still owned it. The ins. company would find all kinds of ways to get out of that one. See situations like this on Judge Judy all the time.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:34 PM

Those are chances that I'll have to take, and he might not even take the deal. I don't have a lot of time to work with, and if this deal does go through, I'll also have money to pay my rent. I doubt that Judge Judy is real, those stories are too fake.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:56 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
We have limits on how much help we can give, JFK, since we're not a mutual aid society. Besides, I haven't paid my dues for the year yet. ^_^;
Sorry...but I was not suggesting an official charitable contribution from the organization...but more of one fraternal brother helping out another...on a personal level. Is there no other brother that has a spare room to let you stay until you get back on your feet? Just wondering...have you made the brothers aware of your current situation? There are other ways they can help you, other than just cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas