Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 06:35 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Nobody was hurt during the morning robbery at the Rio, and the robber arrived and escaped in a taxi, said Las Vegas police spokesman Marcus Martin.

Armed man steals gaming chips from Rio - News - ReviewJournal.com
Unfortunately there was a deadly shooting as well, out in Centennial Hills. Residents heard gun fire. When policeman confronted the man shooting he shot at police. He was then shot and died.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post

That said, given what is happening with local, state, and federal government who's to say that either my pension or SS will be around in 20 years?
I don't think anyone can say with any confidence that either will still be around. They are projecting social security to be broke by 2037 or sooner. About 10 years before I would be able to touch it personally. Well, I could claim to have a mental illness and collect but I'm thinking that's part of the problem with it all going down the drain. Your doing a service 99% of people won't do daddy's and I salute you for it. Out of curiosity, do you feel like anyone there is getting rehabilitated or is it really just a place where criminals become even more hardened?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Unfortunately there was a deadly shooting as well, out in Centennial Hills. Residents heard gun fire. When policeman confronted the man shooting he shot at police. He was then shot and died.
With our unofficial unemployment rate of 24% here, I'm surprised there's not a half-dozen or more shootings every day here!

Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
They are projecting social security to be broke by 2037 or sooner. About 10 years before I would be able to touch it personally.
Simply not true. If nothing is done to "fix" Social Security, then it will no longer be able to pay out 100% of the benefits promised. The last figure that I saw was that it would only be able to pay out 75%. But in no way would Social Security cease to exist and stop providing any benefits whatsoever. And keep in mind, that 75% figure is a worst-case scenario if nothing is done in the interim.

BTW, people have been claiming for decades that Social Security wouldn't be around when they retired. In fact, I remember being told that when I first entered the work force in the 1970s.

Bottom line: You've got nothing to owrry about.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:56 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Simply not true. If nothing is done to "fix" Social Security, then it will no longer be able to pay out 100% of the benefits promised. The last figure that I saw was that it would only be able to pay out 75%. But in no way would Social Security cease to exist and stop providing any benefits whatsoever. And keep in mind, that 75% figure is a worst-case scenario if nothing is done in the interim.

BTW, people have been claiming for decades that Social Security wouldn't be around when they retired. In fact, I remember being told that when I first entered the work force in the 1970s.

Bottom line: You've got nothing to owrry about.

I'm really not losing any sleep over it. You are probably right that it won't cease to exist but at the cost of what other federal programs? In any case, nothing is a sure thing right now. I don't exactly feel comfortable about hitting retirement and knowing the majority of that money will still be there for me.

It's all one big game if you ask me. None of this money even exists realistically. It's all numbers being thrown around on computer screens not backed up by gold or anything else. It is destined to fall like a deck of cards eventually but for now the illusion will continue to fool people.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:08 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Burn Care Unit??? Were you smoking sticks in bed? Did I miss something?
No, but I had a robusto (6x52) from my favorite shop here in town today. That's just what UMC calls the outpatient unit where their wonderful RN's treat their patients. Those wonderful ladies saved my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
hmm.. wonder if the robber used a credit card to pay for the fare.. (that would be hilarious)
C'mon, airics! I was a cabbie for two companies here in Vegas, and the rates aren't that bad. Personally, I hope that it was A Cab that got stung. I hate those sons of bospors!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:03 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Aqua. I was kidding about the credit card

Old 02-25-2011, 01:38 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
I know, my friend.

Just because I'm poor doesn't mean that I can't crack a cheap joke or two.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I'm really not losing any sleep over it. You are probably right that it won't cease to exist but at the cost of what other federal programs? In any case, nothing is a sure thing right now. I don't exactly feel comfortable about hitting retirement and knowing the majority of that money will still be there for me.

It's all one big game if you ask me. None of this money even exists realistically. It's all numbers being thrown around on computer screens not backed up by gold or anything else. It is destined to fall like a deck of cards eventually but for now the illusion will continue to fool people.
Here is a good article regarding social security from a former CNN reporter who tells it like it is:

Social Security is Going Broke Ponzi Scheme | Greg Hunter

Old 02-25-2011, 03:29 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Here is a good article regarding social security from a former CNN reporter who tells it like it is:

Social Security is Going Broke Ponzi Scheme | Greg Hunter
Before it comes to that, trust me:

For Sale: Maui
For Sale: The Big Island
For Sale: Kauai
For Sale: Molokai
Not For Sale: Oahu

Up to Alaska:

For Sale: Saint Lawrence Island
For Sale: Attu Island

Cash only!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas