Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
sorry MomMom...moved this here b/c I thought it was too off-topic for the Moving from Michigan thread where you had pointed out that I was also an ex-Long Islander, as Criss Angel is....

There are people that move from LI, but still talk so highly of it, and wish they could move back. I'm not one of them. My dislike for LI began after The Wonder Years period ended (mid 70's). I knew, as a teen, after taking many camping trips to upstate, that I would someday make it my home. I was finally able to escape LI in 1988, never to return! You see, it was my parents desire to move there (from Brooklyn), back in 1959...not mine. I simply had no choice in the matter. But I always knew in my heart that Upstate was a beautiful place and where I wanted to be. Once I was gone from LI...it was in my past.

Odd thing, I have a brother and two sisters...and none of us stayed on LI. My younger brother lives in LV, my younger sister in AZ, and my older sister in NJ. After my mom passed away in 1985, even my dad left LI...to be closer to my older sister in NJ. Truth be told, none of us miss it, except for my dad. But again, it was his choice to move there in the first place, not ours.

How about you...do you miss LI...or is it totally out of your blood? For me, it is out of my blood, my mind and my heart...for now and forever...thank God! It never ceases to amaze me when I run into someone from another part of the country who thinks LI is the east coast Beverly Hills. They think the whole island is like The Hamptons! Boy, they could not be more wrong.
I was young when I left NYS, I bumped around between LI, Brooklyn and I did my pennance in upstate NY for about 4 years (no offense now jfk, I really hated it up there, way too rural and nothing to do for a city girl like me, personal opinion) before moving permanently to my beautiful Las Vegas.

How could anyone live back East is beyond me, high taxes, bad winters, etc.. It's definately not for everyone and the mass migration of recent years from there proves it. I hear that from my Flint, Michigan friends as well. They look back now (after having been in Las Vegas for 5 years) and they say "whew, how the heck did we survive back there!"

Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,663,718 times
An update on my situation? Ok, I got a money order for $50 from my stepdad today. I checked out a Timbers, and it seems like a great place to hold a DDO. Beyond the rustic decor, great food and drink, waitstaff, I really liked the comfy leather wingback chairs they had around the tables.

Awww...you don't like my humorous comments? I'm just going to have to try harder. Now if 'rocco would stop nuking some of my best work!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:23 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
MomMom...You know what always amazes me?...and maybe you find this same thing in LV...is that when people move up here from LI, NYC, etc...they then complain that the area is nothing like LI, etc, and then try to make it that way. When I moved up here, I did so because it was not LI...and wouldn't want it to become that way.

Some move to an area hoping it will be just like where they came from. Others move to an area simply because it is not. The first group complains and sets out to change things. The latter group embraces the culture change and trys to fit in.

That just leaves me to wonder...why the heck did they move away from the other area if they liked it that much????

Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 PM

252 posts, read 906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
An update on my situation? Ok, I got a money order for $50 from my stepdad today. I checked out a Timbers, and it seems like a great place to hold a DDO. Beyond the rustic decor, great food and drink, waitstaff, I really liked the comfy leather wingback chairs they had around the tables.

Awww...you don't like my humorous comments? I'm just going to have to try harder. Now if 'rocco would stop nuking some of my best work!

Aw, i DO like your humorous comments... it's just that jfk ONLY makes humorous comments... not anything relevant.

PS - sounds like a great place for a DDO!

Last edited by dr.gomonas; 04-22-2009 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: PS

Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 PM

The thing that I miss most about the SF Bay Area is the rolling fog from the Marin Headlands, over the Golden Gate Bridge.

It's good to hear that I'm not losing my touch. As I said the other day, I do miss Lex. He was the best straight man a professional smart a$$ could ever have.

I want to hold a special DDO when my money finally comes. It'll be at Matryoshka, the new Russian bar/Supper Club that's going to open soon next door to the Bootlegger Bistro, on the far south end of the Strip. I posted a YouTube video of theirs in another thread.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 PM

thanks for the compliment, dr. g.

Aqua...one thing always puzzled me about your situation...and if it's too personal for you to respond...I apologize and please just tell me to shove off. Your stepdad seems to have liked you...and you seem to have treated him (and your mom - his wife) so well. You said his kids treated him so poorly in CA that he had to move across the country to others. I'm just wondering why you and your stepdad never made a go at living together after your mom passed away? You seem compatible, if not loving, towards each other...and you both probably could have worked as a team to keep the house, no?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 PM

No, we've been friends long enough for me to answer you without suggesting thirty improbable things that you can do with a roll of quarters, a jar of Crisco, and the orifice of your choice.

I originally had thought that we were going to make a go of it, but his health was bad when my mother had passed away, and his daughter in CA convinced him to move in with her. He's never lived with her for any length of time since she was a little kid. Let's just say that she is her mother's daughter, and leave it at that. For someone who is sort of a social worker, she's a real piece of work herself. I just spoke to him a little while ago, and he's quite happy where he is. Even if we were to live together, we still couldn't afford to keep the house. Besides, not all of my memories of the house are the best, and I want a new start. I want to live closer in to town, as I'm way out in BFE.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:52 PM

Glad to hear he's doing well...and of course, I'm wishing you all the luck in your new start. Hang in there just a little bit longer...June (and the money) are right around the corner.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 PM

Now if I can just find a job!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 04:13 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,058,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Well, thanks for explaining that gdude. We have lots of folks who want to live in Las Vegas but can't and feel they are "excluded" from the local set.

You, and the others who post here that are not locals, are "honorary" Las Vegans!

And you have a nice evening!!

Thank you!

Everyone have a bright and sunny day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas