Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post

Hi Kimba,

We had a 2004 Hyundai Sonata for 6 years until a tree fell on it during the tornado in 2010. (Had just made the final payment ) We had no mechanical problems with the car for 6 years. With the insurance money we got from the Sonata we bought a 2010 Santa Fe. It's really nice. Runs smoothly, well made, roomy, comfortable and actually gets better gas mileage than the Sonata did!! Hyundai has really upped their game. It's alos very well rated by Consumer Reports. For its class, I think it's well worth the price. Like it better than the Rav4 or the Sportage.
We bought a brand new Santa Fe in 2002. After 10 years (and 160,000 miles) it still feels like a new car. Absolutely no rust...runs smooth...and the back seat is so roomy. Great vehicle, IMO.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:56 AM

131 posts, read 210,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Maybe the assembly is 700 but the bulb is $7 just like a normal vehicle. Most mechanics don't touch bmws, not because they are complicated, but because they don't have the tools or scanners to work on them.
Very true--doesn't make sense for many smaller shops to invest in the tools unless they plan to make that type of car their #1 customer base. And I don't know much about prices for things on an '85 Supra but I wouldn't doubt the whole headlight assm. would be $20!

Kimba, I had an '01 Santa Fe before my 1st X5--it was my introduction to SUVs and I loved it! I'm surprised they're still as expensive used as they are--there's really not much to them, but the thing was maintenance-free for the three or four years I had it. The only reason I got the X5 was because it's the only SUV with stick shift and a decent engine and 4 wheel drive, which I needed in VT. Now that I don't, I have many more options! If I come across one, I'll let you know!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
I have an 07' Hyundai Santa Fe. It's never been in the shop for major repairs. Runs smooth/quiet & the interior is nice-which usually surprises the people who think Hyundai is crap.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:32 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
[quote=quixotic59;22420978]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post

Hi Kimba,

We had a 2004 Hyundai Sonata for 6 years until a tree fell on it during the tornado in 2010. (Had just made the final payment ) We had no mechanical problems with the car for 6 years. With the insurance money we got from the Sonata we bought a 2010 Santa Fe. It's really nice. Runs smoothly, well made, roomy, comfortable and actually gets better gas mileage than the Sonata did!! Hyundai has really upped their game. It's alos very well rated by Consumer Reports. For its class, I think it's well worth the price. Like it better than the Rav4 or the Sportage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
We bought a brand new Santa Fe in 2002. After 10 years (and 160,000 miles) it still feels like a new car. Absolutely no rust...runs smooth...and the back seat is so roomy. Great vehicle, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOldfield View Post
Very true--doesn't make sense for many smaller shops to invest in the tools unless they plan to make that type of car their #1 customer base. And I don't know much about prices for things on an '85 Supra but I wouldn't doubt the whole headlight assm. would be $20!

Kimba, I had an '01 Santa Fe before my 1st X5--it was my introduction to SUVs and I loved it! I'm surprised they're still as expensive used as they are--there's really not much to them, but the thing was maintenance-free for the three or four years I had it. The only reason I got the X5 was because it's the only SUV with stick shift and a decent engine and 4 wheel drive, which I needed in VT. Now that I don't, I have many more options! If I come across one, I'll let you know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
I have an 07' Hyundai Santa Fe. It's never been in the shop for major repairs. Runs smooth/quiet & the interior is nice-which usually surprises the people who think Hyundai is crap.
Now I am really jealous. Wish I would have just leased the dang Nitro. Thanks for all the info, though!

Old 01-06-2012, 04:32 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Hey guys I hope you all had a great holiday season. Wish I could say the same, I spent Christmas and NYE alone and drunk....

Im getting evicted from my apartment in Centennial Hills, my UE was nowhere NEAR enough to cover my 1/2 of the rent, and when I found out my ex gf didnt have her half, she immediately moved in with her new boyfriend, who just proposed, she is moving to reno and getting married in a few months (been with him 3 months )

So after Sunday, I dont know where I am going to go. But once I get my income tax return, I am planning to move back to Florida. My grandmother owns a house that is she willing to let me live in rent free (still have to pay utilities) until I can get my own apartment. In the mean time I am saving as much money as I can before I leave. Also spoke to my old boss at Publix and he told me to give him a call as soon as I get back

My ex gf wanted to hang out with me tonight because "it might be the last time I ever see you, and I want to end on good terms" I told her no, Im sorry but rather than helping me with the rent the way she chose to just ditch me, I cannot forgive that. And she has a fiance now, her hanging out with me is basically cheating on him.

For the record I DO NOT hate Las Vegas, but considering everything that has happened in the past few months I have no choice but to return home. I gave it my best shot and I still failed. But the point is I gave it my best. All my family is back in Florida (with a few in Connecticut) so now with no family or real close friends, there's nothing left for me here

As for the "I told you so's" Im going to receive when I go back to my old job, Im ready for it, knowing I gave 100%

I hope that after I leave Las Vegas you guys will still welcome my posts here on this forum

Old 01-06-2012, 05:36 PM

369 posts, read 772,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Our car is at Sharp Transmission for the next several days. They towed it away about an hour or so ago. $1250 was the quote, with free towing. They work through Doctor Auto, the place OleCapt recommended awhile back. We went nuts last night looking for hours online for used cars. Only a very few were available, and it would help if we could actually afford one. So our little ol' PT will have to hang on awhile longer. Good thing, since I really love it, and do not want Airics murdering it for parts.

Skisickie, I never drink and drive, unless it's water or Pepsi. We will be walking to Aliante station for NYE since we are car-less until next wednesday.
Sorry for all you are going through. I wish you and everyone a very Happy New Years celebration.

Hope they're good. I'm having them come get my old beater pick up this weekend to get it back on the road. It's still cheeper than taking on a payment for a new one. I've got a Kia Rio for the main car but could use the truck for a back up.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 PM

369 posts, read 772,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Ha! My GF has high beams on!

As long as she doesn't have fog lights ...

Old 01-06-2012, 08:11 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
Hope they're good. I'm having them come get my old beater pick up this weekend to get it back on the road. It's still cheeper than taking on a payment for a new one. I've got a Kia Rio for the main car but could use the truck for a back up.
It ended up costing $2,100 total with tax,etc. So their initial quote could have been low on purpose...who knows. It needed the transmission and something to do with "torque" and a "converter." As you can see, I am clueless about car parts.
The car feels so much better, much more quiet, the ride feels smoother. So whatever they did, they did good. They do give a one year warranty. The car was gone from last friday until late wednesday. The only thing I did not like, there seemed to be a few more scratches on the paint job, and they stored the car outside, so it was really dirty when we got it back. We just need to get some paint to match the car, get it on there, and do a nice wax job to get it all pretty and shiny again. Good luck with your truck.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:54 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Geez. I REALLY wished you guys would have called Carl

Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Anyone read about those police shootings up in Ogden? Sheesh! Army Veteran, depression with PTSD, working the nightshift at Wal-Mart, apparently self-medicating himself with marijuana, perhaps growing it himself in his house. 6 narcotics officers arrive at his house, while he was sleeping, for suspected drug activity. Bang-bang-bang!

Sheesh again! They should have sent 6 mental health professionals out to that house long before! He needed help desperately!

He survived, and now he'll spend the rest of his life in prison!

What's your take on this? The one officer who died graduated from high school here in Las Vegas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas