Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 09:23 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,785,587 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year and God Bless!

Old 01-01-2012, 05:04 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
Dispose of your 2011 responsibly. Light it on fire, toss it off of the roof, then run it over with your car.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:47 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,160,812 times
Why does the Monte Carlo not look like this in person?

Old 01-01-2012, 06:00 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,432,474 times
Happy New Year everybody. Hope it's a better one for us all.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:09 PM

762 posts, read 1,562,724 times
The friends I have made were fairweather friends always looking for a handout. Went to churches always people wanting to heal my husband. Gym rats are so silly. Best guy I know works at the bike shop. But I wouldn't call him a friend. My husbands nurse is a friend. His aides are pretty awesome. No one in town is my age with a husband who can't move so no friends really.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:53 AM

131 posts, read 210,111 times
Subject change: anyone going to SHOT Show the week of the 17th? Or the Consumer Electronics Geek Fest next week? :-)

Old 01-03-2012, 11:10 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,816,321 times
I'd love to attend the SHOT Show but...

Old 01-04-2012, 01:16 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Well, I found out I didn't need a new alternator after all, just new valve covers and a new battery: $364. They checked the brakes, hoses, no repairs needed there. So I decided to investigate what it would cost to fix my driver's side window, as it won't go up or down. Yikes! Now I know why a co-worker never bothered to get his power window fixed! Expensive parts (my car is 27YO) and 2 hours of labor: $500+! No thanks! I'll wait until the passenger side window goes kaput, then I'll fork up the $500!

A little scarey having a 27YO car as my mechanic told me it's getting more and more difficult to find parts for these cars! But my feet are encased in concrete on this one: No new high-tech gadgety car!

I'm too close to retirement, which will spell bus passes and an undecided alternative: moped, electric bike or standard bike or electric wheelchair, whether I need one or not!

Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Well, I found out I didn't need a new alternator after all, just new valve covers and a new battery: $364. They checked the brakes, hoses, no repairs needed there. So I decided to investigate what it would cost to fix my driver's side window, as it won't go up or down. Yikes! Now I know why a co-worker never bothered to get his power window fixed! Expensive parts (my car is 27YO) and 2 hours of labor: $500+! No thanks! I'll wait until the passenger side window goes kaput, then I'll fork up the $500!

A little scarey having a 27YO car as my mechanic told me it's getting more and more difficult to find parts for these cars! But my feet are encased in concrete on this one: No new high-tech gadgety car!

I'm too close to retirement, which will spell bus passes and an undecided alternative: moped, electric bike or standard bike or electric wheelchair, whether I need one or not!
At least your car is costing less than ours, and ours is almost 10 years old. Our tally is up to $2,000 now. But still cannot get a new/used/non-ugly car for that anyway, so keeping the PT. New transmission and something about a dead Torque something or other and something else that I obviously forgot. We hope to get it back tomorrow. Luckily a friend will be picking up my husband to go and get it, since the friend lives close to where the car is. You know who your friends really are when you need a ride. And for what it's worth: It SUCKS not having a car. It really does. Yes, really! Before giving up your car, think really really really and really! hard before you give it up. At least have something for backup.

We've been hoofing it for everything since last thursday and really miss the car! Especially on New Years morning when we had to walk home at 2am, only because we were tired and it was cold out. But we made it home in 40 minutes. We were a tad slower since the other had 11 seven/sevens, plus 2 1/2 champagnes. I had 1 1/2 champagnes. The first one was ok, the second wasn't so good, so I gave it to him. I ended up with pepsi most of the night. No hangovers allowed in my body.

Went to the post office earlier today(yesterday technically) by foot and to the store on the way back. 1 hour and 35 minutes later, we made it home and I collapsed on the couch. It wouldn't be so bad if I had sleep the last few nights. I should just play online games when I can't sleep, or call someone. But no one I know is up when i am up all night, or I don't have their numbers.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:22 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Pink: I pray hard that the work was done professionally, and you don't have to take it back.

Get this! Tonite I went to retrieve something out of my car, and noticed the door light didn't go on. So I cranked the car, nothing! And I just put a new battery in it!

So now I call them this morning early, and seek some kind of explanation.

I took the bus to work 3 nights this week, a long 3 block walk to the bus stop, and a long 3 block walk (Weekdays they don't traverse thru the college which would have only made it one block). I loved riding the bus, had a stack of magazines from 3 months ago, no time to read them, had a chance to read magazines, back and forth. Now that's the part of bus riding that could get this avid reader re-addicted to bus riding!

I fantasize about my retirement life of bus pass, supplemented with an occasional car rental, and an unknown supplement of electric bike/moped/standard bike. I did do my grocery shopping this Mon. a.m. with my bike with the basket and fared very well, just 3 blocks from my house, but the challenge of buying bigger items, when that day comes, I'll do my monthly car rental, and stock up like crazy, until the next month. A case of pop would fill up my basket alone! Otherwise, repeated trips, back and forth!
And I always forget, taxi's!

It can be done, Pink, and minimize your suffering and frustration!

Wow! $2000! What's so exasperating about car repairs, over the years, is taking the car back for a re-do or tweeks! Time is money, to me! That's the part I bemoan the most-time lost and they didn't get it right the 1st time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas