Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 AM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Maybe I'm listening to too much negativity here but I'm now beginning to have second thoughts about moving. As much as I want to do it right now I'm becoming scared that I won't find a job (even though Vons wants to interview me as soon as I get there) I've been filling out applications but I still have not received any phone calls other then from Vons who like I said wants to interview me right away when I get there
Don't worry about the phone calls right now--there are so many people looking for work that very few companies are going to call out of state when they have piles of resumes on their desks.

And the observations of many posters show how it is possible to find work--because so many people looking for work are unable to fill out the resume, let alone the position.

Last winter my wife and I decided to move to Vegas. I had a great paying job, health insurance, etc. But I cashed in my retirement and we gambled on Vegas. I am working harder than I have in a long, long time but my business is slowly succeeding (I have more work than I can handle) and my wife, after fits and starts, currently has two jobs--9 to 3:30 and 4 to midnight.

Here is the kicker--I have gone through 4 employees because they primarily couldn't show up for work at 8 am. That's all--I really don't mind if they lack technical skill because they can learn that. But if they don't show up at 8 (and I had guys showing up at 10, 11, noon), they aren't there to learn. A lot of applicants are drawing unemployment or welfare, so maybe they don't try too hard to get the job. And in my wife's work, the manager steals food, misses work without calling in, so she is in line for a management position at one job and just received a promotion from front desk to sales agent at her other job.

If you really want to work hard and don't mind taking your lumps while you improve your lot here, you'll do great.

My wife and I love it here and we'll never move back.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:39 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Funny you should mention the heat. A lot of my closest friends support me. I have a couple coworkers who I am pretty cool with who think I'm insane for going to Vegas because it's "Always over 100 degrees there" and I would say "Well with the humidity in Florida, its hotter here then it is there" and when I tried to explain to them that the rest of the year Vegas has pretty nice weather they said they though it was 100 all year round in the desert Some other coworkers think I'm gonna drink and party on the strip daily When I tried to explain to them Vegas is like any other city adn not JUST the strip they had a bewildered look on their face that said "People ACTUALLY LIVE in Las Vegas?"

Mind you most of my coworkers are 18-23, immature, some smoke weed, live at home, most of my coworkers drive newer cars then me which their parents bought and paid for them with cash. Truth be told I cant wait to get away from the immaturity at my job here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
I felt the same way about a month before I made the move. My friends knew it would be the last time they would be able to see and hang out with me for a long time, so they started giving me the "You'll be back soon" or "You're gonna hate the summers, they're too hot", and anything else they could say to try and get me to stay. I did start thinking maybe they're right, but then I thought to myself, which someone already mentioned here, what happens in 20 years when I am stuck living here with a family, and can't move. I'll be kicking myself every day thinking "What would I be doing, making $ wise, etc, had I moved to Vegas when I could?"
It's not like you can never move back if things don't work out for you. My friends still complain about where they live back east, the jobs, the economy, the high taxes, the weather, yet heaven forbid I tell them it's 92 degrees, and they jump down my throat like, SEE!! TOLD YA IT'S HOT!!! Lol..I just laugh it off.
I think friends say things like that to you, because they're jealous that you're at least making an attempt to move ahead in your life. You found the courage to say, enough of this, I'm going to make a change, and you're doing it. It takes a lot of courage to do that, and yes it's risky. If they're you're true friends and family, they will be happy for you that you're trying to get ahead in life, and make decisions on your own. They'll support you no matter where you live, and they'll be there for you when you fall.
I knew 4 people when I moved to Vegas, and now through playing softball, i've met 6 more people that are the greatest people I have ever met in my life. These are the types of friends that would be there for me at any cost.
Davie, don't let other people decide your destiny.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:41 AM

366 posts, read 1,212,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
No wonder he's running scared!
Haha...ya beat me to it.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:01 PM

232 posts, read 676,210 times
Davie -- I have done exactly what you are planning on doing twice. Once I made a move from OH to CA with no job, money, car....nothing. The 2nd time I made a move from FL to Vegas. Again, I had no job at that time. I'll be honest and say that both times sucked at first. I was miserable and constantly doubting my decision. But as time went on, I made progress, got my bearings, found work, etc. It won't be easy, and you will struggle. But if you stick to it, I have no doubt you will come out on top. I agree this is maybe not the best time to do this move. But then again, when IS the best time? There will always be something to create doubt in your mind. As someone else said - I would be worried if you DIDN'T have doubts. It's a huge step, but be strong and you'll make it. On a side note -- I drove from CA to FL when I moved there a few years back. It was a great journey, and I would do it again if given the chance! So I hope you can at least enjoy that journey as I did.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:16 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold ethyl View Post
Davie -- I have done exactly what you are planning on doing twice. Once I made a move from OH to CA with no job, money, car....nothing. The 2nd time I made a move from FL to Vegas. Again, I had no job at that time. I'll be honest and say that both times sucked at first. I was miserable and constantly doubting my decision. But as time went on, I made progress, got my bearings, found work, etc. It won't be easy, and you will struggle. But if you stick to it, I have no doubt you will come out on top. I agree this is maybe not the best time to do this move. But then again, when IS the best time? There will always be something to create doubt in your mind. As someone else said - I would be worried if you DIDN'T have doubts. It's a huge step, but be strong and you'll make it. On a side note -- I drove from CA to FL when I moved there a few years back. It was a great journey, and I would do it again if given the chance! So I hope you can at least enjoy that journey as I did.
I look forward to the journey actually. It will be my first time on a road trip to somewhere not boring. Normally every summer my family drives to Connecticut to visit family. Boring trip!

Driving across the southern states on I-10 sounds a lot better then driving up the east coast on I-95, which I have done many times.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:41 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Default McDonalds is hiring!

This is on the news right now...

I believe they are part time jobs..

watch the huge amount of people of applying for them

McDonald's To Hire Up To 600 Vegas Workers - Las Vegas News Story - KVVU Las Vegas

Old 05-25-2010, 01:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
You'll be fine. If it doesn't work out you can go back. And you will know you gave it your best shot. Much better than sitting and doing nothing. At least you tried SOMETHING.

You've been smart so far and you may make it. Try and see. The worst that can happen is you go back to what you came from. Not that big a deal!

Old 05-25-2010, 02:19 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Davie getcherAZZ out here n gettajob.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:20 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Actually Im driving to Vegas, should cost $300-$400 one way
Put $500 in an envelope and stick it away. Don't touch it. That will be your way back home (if it comes to that).

Old 05-25-2010, 04:44 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
This is on the news right now...

I believe they are part time jobs..

watch the huge amount of people of applying for them

McDonald's To Hire Up To 600 Vegas Workers - Las Vegas News Story - KVVU Las Vegas
I saw that too. Unfortunately, there will probably be 5,000 people applying for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas