Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 05:17 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Who is this religious fanatic raving to?

Back to the current subject, an author I love and have read through all her books is Joyce Maynard. It is not a heavy non-fiction book as some that have been mentioned previously are but it is quite heavy, very insightful and a good contemporary read.
I love bio's. I read a bio of Mussolini, fueled my appetite for a bio of Stalin,
then Robert Payne's bio of Hitler, and just finished a lengthy bio of Churchill yesterday by Martin Gilbert. IMO, all edge-of-the-seat thrillers. Why? Kept thinking: If only Hitler had developed the atomic bomb before us, and it was so, so, so close!

Now? Nice change of pace: Everything by Design, My Life As An Architect/Alan Lapidus. I've always wanted to be an architect!

What is reading? It's just another form of travel with no need for a passport or visa!

Last edited by tijlover; 09-28-2010 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 09-28-2010, 05:33 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,334 times
If you're looking for light reading -- murder mysteries -- I recommend Stuart Woods. I also like Martha Grimes and Elizabeth George for slightly heavier mysteries.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:06 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I love bio's. I read a bio of Mussolini, fueled my appetite for a bio of Stalin,
then Robert Payne's bio of Hitler, and just finished a lengthy bio of Churchill yesterday by Martin Gilbert. IMO, all edge-of-the-seat thrillers. Why? Kept thinking: If only Hitler had developed the atomic bomb before us, and it was so, so, so close!

Now? Nice change of pace: Everything by Design, My Life As An Architect/Alan Lapidus. I've always wanted to be an architect!

What is reading? It's just another form of travel with no need for a passport or visa!
I have several Astrology books on my list. A few years ago I was into reading bio's. A charmed, exciting life may just be a facade for a life full of trial and pain. Sometimes I need a break from this because it is "so" real I feel like I take it upon myself.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:49 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Exactly who are you talking to? Most people just want to have a friendly conversation on the "Las Vegas chat thread." Last time I checked we were not in Sunday School or in the Religion forum.
Rigious nuts have poor boundaries

Old 09-28-2010, 06:58 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Exactly who are you talking to? Most people just want to have a friendly conversation on the "Las Vegas chat thread." Last time I checked we were not in Sunday School or in the Religion forum.
Two snaps up.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Architecture was supposed to be my career path as well. Thanks for the suggestion. There have been a lot of good books suggested in here.

I replied to your thread in the music section, Tij.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Architecture was supposed to be my career path as well. Thanks for the suggestion. There have been a lot of good books suggested in here.

I replied to your thread in the music section, Tij.
Yes, I need to look at a posting you made earlier about the upcoming groups you were excited about. Have got lots of musical research to do.

Yes, I've got architect written all over me, but ain't gonna happen, 6 years of school, 3 years of apprenticeship, and then? I knew an architect who went thru all that, only to be relegated to designing freeway bridges! I've read so far, that even with a good architectural firm, only 35% of projects make it to completion. And if I can't design something to grace a city skyline, forget it!

I've been appeasing my architectural ambitions with Lego, I've got Lego towers gracing the skyline of my living room, been collecting them since the 70's.
In the past month, I've constructed a 112 story tower and just completed a companion tower of 72 stories. Thank God my living room walls are only 8 feet tall and I don't have two-story atrium!

I've got enough Lego to actually build me a comfy cabin for real!

I had a client one time heavily into Lego, and being he has so much more space in his house, he has one of his bedrooms where a castle takes up much of that bedroom.

Read that label on a box of Lego: 5 years and up. I may be pushing the envelope, still playing with Lego at age 60! Great toys for adults as well!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, I need to look at a posting you made earlier about the upcoming groups you were excited about. Have got lots of musical research to do.

Read that label on a box of Lego: 5 years and up. I may be pushing the envelope, still playing with Lego at age 60! Great toys for adults as well!
That's great!

I started work in my youth for a prominent local architect working on custom homes and light commercial. I really enjoy residential design. I'm always baffled about how many architects don't work in design once they are finished with their internship. It's a cramped field and it seems that architects are a dime a dozen.

I would have gone to UNLV's school of architecture, but at the time, they were not yet accredited.

In time, I hope to be able to design/build a a few custom spec homes. All the fun, none of the boring work. I guess that won't be happening anytime soon. I've always thought it would be great to run a firm that handled everything from land acquisition to interior design.

Last edited by Spraynard Kruger; 09-28-2010 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 08:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
The designers never ever get to run the show. That always goes to the paper pushers and the accountants.

You need the design people up front to conceptualze and sell...but then the paper pushers.

As you get past the number of people who can sit in a room it leaves the control of the thinker and goes to the control of the bureaucrat.

And as the project gets to the 100s or 1000s of workers it is the organizational skills that carry you...and the ability to keep track of where the money is going.

And any time you let a designer get in control you will live to regret it. There is always a better way...but when time is running good enough carries the day.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:56 PM

Dime a dozen, for sure, it rates with the arts. In this most recent book, it was alleged that architecture is the second oldest profession.

Ever get on Emporis.com? Pick any city in the world, it will show you every building built there from tallest on down. Even the pix's of buildings that were demolished. And buildings under construction, buildings envisioned that never got built.

If I get on this site, I'm a goner for days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas