Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 07:07 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

I've had ferrets for some 17 years now and I've leash-trained all of them, except the females, who are more averse to leashes.

They're not as easy to lead on a leash, like a dog, so I'm usually the one that ends up having a leash around his neck, I follow, unless there's something ahead that I know he would like, I'll lead him.

But ferrets being so popular, I'm always surprised when someone spots us and remarks that they've never seen a ferret on a leash before.

My ferret is very people-friendly, loves to get picked up by strangers. On our walks, cats will run from them, even small dogs.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:08 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Either someone is suffering from a mental breakdown or their CD account got hacked. I would prefer to believe the latter!
I was thinking the same!!! If not, what a switcheroo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Imagine! 14 years in Las Vegas and I finally got around to discovering Sunset park last night between 1am and 3am, walking my leash-trained ferret.

I was a bit skittish, at first, hung around the periphery of the darkened park, and eventually I gained enough courage to go deeper into the deserted park, and Wow! there's a man-made lake with ducks quacking!

At that hour, I only enountered a couple and a bicyclist whom I talked to, and one homeless person sleeping on a bench. Oh so peaceful and quiet, not even any distant plane noise at the hour of the morning!

Will go back again and again, my ferret was in his glory with acres of green grass to roll, prance around in.

These animals are truly amazing. No matter where I park the car, where we detour to, he always leads me back to the car after our walks. What a great sense of direction!
I really liked it there too. I can't believe how many people in Vegas, that I talk to, don't get around. They think things are so far and such. Like I can't believe so many know nothing about Centennial Hills. Like it is in another world! Haven't they ever traveled to Mt. Charleston?? Tule Springs Park? Vegas is not that big! What else do ya do?? Maybe it is just because it is new to me so I am all for exploring? Or maybe because in MI "far" is the upper peninsula and that is a 6 hour drive from where I am. So, for us to drive "up north" 2 hours it is nothing and it is done by thousands on the weekends.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:10 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've had ferrets for some 17 years now and I've leash-trained all of them, except the females, who are more averse to leashes.

They're not as easy to lead on a leash, like a dog, so I'm usually the one that ends up having a leash around his neck, I follow, unless there's something ahead that I know he would like, I'll lead him.

But ferrets being so popular, I'm always surprised when someone spots us and remarks that they've never seen a ferret on a leash before.

My ferret is very people-friendly, loves to get picked up by strangers. On our walks, cats will run from them, even small dogs.
I think their popularity has decreased from what it was, but even so, I never see them around...anywhere. Do you see them when you are out and about? They are cute. My daughter would LOVE one...that is until the novelty wore off.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Now that would be a great picture!! I've never heard of walking a ferret.
It makes me smile.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I was thinking the same!!! If not, what a switcheroo!

I really liked it there too. I can't believe how many people in Vegas, that I talk to, don't get around. They think things are so far and such. Like I can't believe so many know nothing about Centennial Hills. Like it is in another world! Haven't they ever traveled to Mt. Charleston?? Tule Springs Park? Vegas is not that big! What else do ya do?? Maybe it is just because it is new to me so I am all for exploring? Or maybe because in MI "far" is the upper peninsula and that is a 6 hour drive from where I am. So, for us to drive "up north" 2 hours it is nothing and it is done by thousands on the weekends.
I still have not been to Sunset Park. But I love sunsets, so I should really go to watch the sunset. I have been to all the other places you listed though.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Either someone is suffering from a mental breakdown or their CD account got hacked. I would prefer to believe the latter!
Me too- would prefer to believe the latter.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:48 PM

369 posts, read 772,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
unGODly hot.
But it's a dry heat ...

Old 09-29-2010, 08:03 PM

LOL! You are wicked JFK!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I think their popularity has decreased from what it was, but even so, I never see them around...anywhere. Do you see them when you are out and about? They are cute. My daughter would LOVE one...that is until the novelty wore off.
Oddly, I've never seen someone walking a ferret, but then, I work the nite shift, I'm up all nite, and being they're heat sensitive animals (I bring a spray bottle with me on those nites) I wait until the coolest part of the nite. Daytime?
I think he takes after his owner, I take him outside during the day, he races back to the front door like his hair's on fire! Nighttime only!

But when it does happen, I encounter children spotting me and the ferret, they go ga-ga over the ferret, chanting: I want one! I want one!

But the question is, how long would it be before the novelty wore off?

I would love to have a dog, but they're more of a responsibility, they bark, I live in a townhouse complex, and a barking dog can bring you noise violation letters. A ferret doesn't bark and you can walk them like a dog, and that was my mission, find an animal I can take long walks with.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
And tell me you're not all Babwa-Wa-Wa fans as well.
Something tells me, being in Elko, someone's been up in Lamoille Canyon, filling up their empty water jugs from that stream that runs down from the Ruby Mountains and who knows what all in that water!

I was just up there in May, loving mountain steams, I was scooping the water into my hands and drinking it. Shortly after I drank it, I didn't feel quite right, and figured: This would not be a good time to be posting on Cd.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas