Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 03:55 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,320,560 times

Advertisements

Davie, I spent years in sales and have the same liabilities as you mentioned for yourself. Some days I don't want to drag myself out of bed, smiles do not come easy to me and talk about negative, I can tell you all the reasons why something will not work before it's even tried. But you would be amazed at the chamelion you can become when you know the end result is a good paycheck. I was so shy, I could hardly talk and make eye contract with someone until someone told me the secret is to play act who and what you want to be. And after awhile, being that way becomes a habit and that's who you now are. Surround yourself with sucessful people and read books on what traits made them sucessful. I know what your dreams were. Maybe they were a little too high at this point in your life. How about shooting for a stable job, some education and enough money to last through the month? Truthfully, I'd like to live in Spanish Trail like Mad Man does but that's a goal still far away for me. You have to take baby steps before you can run and living in Summerlin now isn't too shabby for me. JFK's advice was so spot on; because there's two things an education, whether you want it or not, will give you and that's confidence and self-esteem and in this horribly, difficult time, companies have so many to pick and choose from they are only going to take those with educations. Pretty much anyone can be a clerk in a grocery store and that's an okay job while going to school but think of how goofy you will look when you are 45 with greying hair and 2 kids and you're still a clerk in a grocery store?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:58 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Davie,

I just called my job and unfortunately they are not hiring. This is something I would do if I was not too old, but you will qualify since you are between 16-24. Job corps would be great for you. They will take care of you, give you a place to live and a small salary. You will get great job training and it is all for free. Unfortunately, they are in Reno, but you could go there and at least get some vocational training to secure a good job in Vegas when you get out. I lived in Reno before and it was not bad at all. It is just an idea if you do not want to have to return to Florida. This is a government program, but unlike the military, you can leave at any time if it is not for you.

Sierra Nevada Job Corps

Old 02-01-2011, 04:03 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Pretty much anyone can be a clerk in a grocery store and that's an okay job while going to school but think of how goofy you will look when you are 45 with greying hair and 2 kids and you're still a clerk in a grocery store?
...and the 2 kids combined will be making more than you!

[PS...not joking this time. JJ is right about education. A future employer looks at someone with no education as lazy and expecting things to come easy to them. The only time you get away with no education is if you've got an unbelivable skill or talent that very few else in the world possess. Even then...it still takes mucho work to sell that initially. Nothing comes easy in life! That's what makes success so enjoyable.]

Old 02-01-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Pretty much anyone can be a clerk in a grocery store and that's an okay job while going to school but think of how goofy you will look when you are 45 with greying hair and 2 kids and you're still a clerk in a grocery store?
...And just a tad less goofy-looking than being 45 with no job.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:00 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,725,143 times
Davie you give up too easy. What are you going to do when life throws you a real curve ball? There is jobs out there. You need to put an honest effort in looking for one and stop chasing pipe dreams of becoming rich today and living in the hills. Careers and wealth take time to accumulate and develop.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,518 times
Davie, I am no authority on anything, however I would like to offer some words of wisdom from a man who was. I hope they are of some solace:

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

If there's a will, prosperity can't be far behind.[

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull.

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

It's morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money.

Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned.

Never give a sucker an even break.

Never try to impress a woman, because if you do she'll expect you to keep up the standard for the rest of your life.

Remember, a dead fish can float downstream, but it takes a live one to swim upstream.

Some things are better than sex, and some are worse, but there's nothing exactly like it.

Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.

The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath.

The world is getting to be such a dangerous place, a man is lucky to get out of it alive.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.

A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money.

W. C. Fields

Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
That's funny. Actually, I went and created a voodoo doll out of some cat litter clay, named it jfk, and tomorrow YOU will have menstrual cramps.
I wonder where you would stick the pins to make that happen....

Old 02-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I wonder where you would stick the pins to make that happen....
Well...being that the voodoo doll is really a clump of cat litter...it would be more than appropriate to say in the area of the pu$$y!.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 PM

487 posts, read 747,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
A nice personality and a winning smile? Thanks for the complement Jameson it is appreciated but I have neither. Im actually a very negative person and most people I know consider me to be an ass hole, which I am

I did feel however that National Business did deserve a fair shot and that was what I gave it. Naturally I failed but hey, at least I tried. There's actually quite a few good people working there and honestly, I never want to do telemarketing ever again, at least not with National Business. They dont have a website and they expect the people they call to just take their word for it, and the cartridges they sell are generic refills that they charge 3x what you'd pay at the store for the name brand ones

I had turned down an opportunity at Four Seasons Business Solutions because it was commission only, but at least they had a website and and actually helped companies to grow rather than scam them with free stuff

I really dont think I could do sales honestly, because frankly I am not a very attractive person physically, I'm socially awkward and I let my problems get to me at work and when you're in sales you cant let that happen. Therefore If I did sales on a commission only basis, I'd starve to death because I'd never sell a God Damned thing

Perhaps all I am suited for is being a courtesy clerk in a grocery store. Im going to give my old manager there a call and beg him to give me my job back, I'll let you know how it goes

My dream of Las Vegas
-A good job on the strip
-Decent pay
-A place in Centennial Hills.....
Is sadly out of my reach, and I dont think it will ever be within my grasp either. I was foolish to think it was in my reach to begin with

I hate myself for having come out here now, everybody back in Florida told me not to and I should have listened to them. But Im an idiot and I didnt, and now look at where I am. Broke and unemployed, just like the other 20% of people in this town
Give up and go home

Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,570,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchem View Post
Give up and go home
Indeed or stop whining. Harsh as it may be, everyone here including myself is enabling Davie's self-pity and cycle of shame. You are doomed to repeat the same mistakes until you learn the lesson you have been missing. I've had people tell me to **** and stop whining on a number of occasions in my life and they were all sorely needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas