Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:46 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,034,210 times
check geico, they were the cheapest for me.. 398 every 6 months, full coverage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 05:44 AM

9 posts, read 14,712 times
The only jobs that i see hiring consistently that pay anything are taxi drivers. Those guys make decent money, but are pressured ridiculously by the companies to do more and work harder, along with 12 hour days, and insanely bad traffic. The city is nothing like it was a few years ago, or over the last 30 years for that matter. It's nearly impossible to get any decent job now unless you're a girl that is A) young and hot, and b) willing to sleep with the right people to get the right position. This town is all about who you know and who you are willing to blow basically now, with a 15 percent unemployment rate are you honestly sure you wanna try this city??????

Old 05-12-2010, 06:26 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,797,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
Just me, but I would have called the cops if the supervisor and security both failed to recognize that battery is illegal! --- of course, that would have been after I slapped his arse back! Damn a job. You have the legal right to defend yourself and I truly believe you should.

I'll tell you a little story: When I was 21 I was a manager at a restaurant. I had to fire a girl because she was insubordinate to the extreme. I'm a pretty easy going person and I have always tried to work with people to overcome issues, but she saw me as a 'privledged' white girl. Whatever.

Long story short, she was upset because I fired her. She should have been fired long before I got to that particular restaurant, but none of the male managers stood up to her. She proceeded to throw a basket of hot grease at me. I told her to leave the premises and walked to the office to call the police. She met me at the office door and caught me with a slap to my face. When she hit me, I immediately reacted with a kick to her chest knocking her back several feet.

The cops showed up and she was banned from the restaurant. I met with my district manager, apologized for the incident, but stated that I wouldn't let anyone hit me and then chastised another manager for not have the balls to fire her before I was put in that situation. No, I did not get fired and I worked another year as their training manager before I left for another job. No, I didn't teach self defense!

Now, I agree with another poster. Take your time and build your skills before you move. You will do yourself a HUGE favor if you invest in yourself i.e. education and a trade that will provide you a stable income.

Good luck.
Daaammmnnn!!!...you're the kinda woman I've been searching for these 31 years...lol...jk

Old 05-12-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane34lv View Post
The only jobs that i see hiring consistently that pay anything are taxi drivers. Those guys make decent money, but are pressured ridiculously by the companies to do more and work harder, along with 12 hour days, and insanely bad traffic. The city is nothing like it was a few years ago, or over the last 30 years for that matter. It's nearly impossible to get any decent job now unless you're a girl that is A) young and hot, and b) willing to sleep with the right people to get the right position. This town is all about who you know and who you are willing to blow basically now, with a 15 percent unemployment rate are you honestly sure you wanna try this city??????
first, beginner cabbies make squat. the companies will put you on the street with no access to the strip or airport.. you have to count on long hauls to make the money... ask aqualung if you don't believe me.

and comeon with the crap about sleeping with or blowing.. you don't have to do this for a 12 dollar an hour hotel job.. maybe at a strip club or bait and tackle...

Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,155,726 times
Shane just joined to make that smartaxe remark.....[or maybe he got his job that way]....I been in Las Vegas for a longgggg time and .... never mind...it ain't worth it

Old 07-31-2010, 02:03 AM

15 posts, read 83,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I also wanted to note that if I do decide to relocate to Vegas it will not be until Sept/Oct 2010 if at all. I'm taking a trip to Vegas in April to see the city for myself and if it really is for me

The economy should at the very least begin to recover by then (I don't expect overnight prosperity) but I do believe the economy is getting better but slowly. Who knows just 9 or 10 months could be a big difference right?
We are nowhere near recovering and are still slowing into a greater depression. Vegas is still #1 in the country for foreclosures and is near the top of the list for the unemployment rate. However, I believe there are plenty of jobs open if YOU are open to them. If you search just MGM Mirage and Harrah's properties you will literally find hundreds of recently open positions.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited599 View Post
We are nowhere near recovering and are still slowing into a greater depression. Vegas is still #1 in the country for foreclosures and is near the top of the list for the unemployment rate. However, I believe there are plenty of jobs open if YOU are open to them. If you search just MGM Mirage and Harrah's properties you will literally find hundreds of recently open positions.

umm... davie's already here and was employed almost immediately.. he has the initiative to get it done.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:33 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,173,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
well that's real encouraging isn't it? why do all the good places have to be so expensive?

so i cant let my florida tag run until it expires, thats nice. at least nevada keeps a strict rule on new residents getting plates right away, it amazes me how many people have moved here from out of state 2, 3, 4 years ago and STILL have the plates from their homestate. sometimes in florida it seems as if people can get away with anything

but $300 a year is ridiculous, im sorry but thats my opinion. after i take my visit to vegas in april and decide if i really like it i'll pay it but still thats just downright steep

is nevada one of those states that requires people to have a front plate too? because my car doesnt have a thing for a front plate right now, front plates arent mandatory here
Its gonna take more than a quick "visit" to determine if Vegas is suitable for someone to live in. My first 3 visits to Vegas is nothing compared to my one time of living here.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:38 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,173,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbeyez View Post
Nursing field huh, Im in school for nursing now..so theirs alot of good jobs in the nursing field there?
I have two sister-in-laws that just recently finished with nursing school and can only find volunteer/intern work. Most places want experience, not just school.

If you have experience you wont have a problem at all. You can even get a job on base which is always hiring for different types of nurses.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,480 times
I am starting a new forum for people to post information about individual jobs or companies. Kind of like a yelp for employees. Please feel free to stop by and post any relevant info you have about working in Las Vegas @ [url=http://www.revegasjobs.com]Re: Las Vegas Jobs[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas