Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Maybe she's going to decorate the top of the wall so it looks like the walls of a medieval castle.
already been done.....go west on Alta from Rancho....the castle is on the right.....inside the Rancho Circle area ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 02:22 PM

157 posts, read 277,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
already been done.....go west on Alta from Rancho....the castle is on the right.....inside the Rancho Circle area ....
LOL, this is too funny, I love it!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:21 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
This has been discussed in several other threads many times. Basically they provide privacy, and a certain amount of security. But the real reason is a psychological connection to the forts on the frontier, which Las Vegas is ...sort of. At least it was when the walls first started going up. People that give up the safety of a long time neighborhood where they are surrounded by family and friends that they've always relied on, come here all alone, knowing no one. They are rugged individualists ...pioneers in a way. It isn't that easy to make friends in Las Vegas, let alone build the kind of alliances and relationships that they had "back east". So they build a fort and disappear into it until the "Indians" attack, which is another obvious thing about Las Vegas. People you didn't even know were there will show up in an emergency to help out. It first became obvious during the MGM fire, and then the Las Vegas Hilton fire. The town or neighborhood is attacked, and they rush out and help fight off the attack, then disappear again until the next attack. It's a Las Vegas thing, and we won't give up our walls. I've noticed people that live where they don't have walls, or they have wooden walls, seem to like our block walls. Gives a better feeling of security, and that's what's important. Add a couple of dogs and a .45 ACP in the bedroom, and you'll sleep better at night.
What a well-thought response. I especially like the "rugged individualist" tie in. I would have never considered it that way. I might have to borrow on this one, buzz. Brilliant.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:36 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,838,016 times
Quote:
Isn't there another one on the corner of LVB and Tropicana?

Google Maps

Old 05-06-2010, 05:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
It is actually a southwestern thing. An outgrowth of the areas Spanish roots. Note that it is not present in early Las Vegas homes but comes in with the tract builders of the 60s and afterwards.

In the Spanish style the entire property is walled at the property line. Entry is by the garage and a large locked gate. You can't get any view of what the property is actually like until you get inside the walls.

The formula was modified in the southwest. In a concession to American styles a front set back is generally required providing some frontal space shared with the community. There are exceptions though. I know a very fancy neighborhood in Chino, CA where every home is right to the sidewalk...nothing but blank walls.

You find this style all through CA, AZ and NM as well as NV.

It is nice even with small properties but very nice with larger ones where you can landscape within the perimeter.

Note that over the last ten years the municipalities have banned flat block walls on the property line. Generally now a set back is required with landscaping. The planners discovered we were creating alleys of grand proportion all over town which were simply ugly.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:06 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,863,936 times
Quote:
I think I got it: Bing Map

Old 05-06-2010, 08:25 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Isn't there another one on the corner of LVB and Tropicana?

Google Maps
but thats a hotel....the other is a private residence.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,838,016 times
Quote:
but thats a hotel....the other is a private residence.
I like my castles big.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:24 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The formula was modified in the southwest. In a concession to American styles a front set back is generally required providing some frontal space shared with the community. There are exceptions though. I know a very fancy neighborhood in Chino, CA where every home is right to the sidewalk...nothing but blank walls.
I know of a neighborhood in Tempe, AZ that looks like that. Here's a good illustration on Google Maps Street View: Tempe, AZ.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:10 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just wish they'd add some concrete to the tops of the walls, and shape them with undulating waves, to make them appear more adobe like.

I was recently up in Snow Canyon in St. George where they have made the walls appear adobe-like, uneven undulating waves, and colored like adobe.
The squareness of the walls is very cold, unattrative. They could be made to be much more attractive, pleasing to the eye. In my backyard, one wall is painted cobalt blue and another forest green.

Like that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: