Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:46 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times

Advertisements

I've lived in five states and never had a walled yard until I came to the Southwest. But now having lived here for four years, I wouldn't buy a house in a desert area that doesn't have one. I've seen coyotes, bobcats, and big snakes in my suburban (not-rural) subdivision. My brother had javelinas in his. The critters travel the washes and a wash borders or goes straight through most of the subdivisions in my area. I still get plenty of rabbits and birds in my back yard (baby quail born in a plant pot on my patio this week!), but no big animals -- and I want to keep more than a glass patio door between them and me. Also, I like the esthetics of every fence in the neighborhood matching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 01:17 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
You got my curiousity piqued kimba...what do you mean "the shape of them"
Similar to this?
The 'Walled-in Yards' of Las Vegas Discussion Thread-christmas-2003-sled-wall.jpg

The 'Walled-in Yards' of Las Vegas Discussion Thread-victimp.jpg

We are in the southwest so we should have more SW style architecture.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I've lived in five states and never had a walled yard until I came to the Southwest. But now having lived here for four years, I wouldn't buy a house in a desert area that doesn't have one. I've seen coyotes, bobcats, and big snakes in my suburban (not-rural) subdivision. My brother had javelinas in his. The critters travel the washes and a wash borders or goes straight through most of the subdivisions in my area. I still get plenty of rabbits and birds in my back yard (baby quail born in a plant pot on my patio this week!), but no big animals -- and I want to keep more than a glass patio door between them and me. Also, I like the esthetics of every fence in the neighborhood matching.
You must live in Arizona. We don't have javelinas here in Nevada. I think AZ probably has more of all desert critters than we do.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:05 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,504,856 times
Quote:
Tell Mom she don't have to like it

Living anywhere on the wrong coast, in my opinion, is like being in prison, or that other really bad place that begins with a H ....so would ya kindly let her know what I just said?

We do have another thread on this very same subject ruready1st, interesting reads there...
Hawaii????

Old 05-07-2010, 08:31 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It is actually a southwestern thing. An outgrowth of the areas Spanish roots. Note that it is not present in early Las Vegas homes but comes in with the tract builders of the 60s and afterwards.

In the Spanish style the entire property is walled at the property line. Entry is by the garage and a large locked gate. You can't get any view of what the property is actually like until you get inside the walls.
Speaking of which...anyone who has been spent anytime in the Philippines and South America...(I've spent a lot of time in both)...

You have these walls around most properties...and they take broken glass bottles...and cement them jaggedly along the top...so absolutely no one in their right mind would ever dream of trying to climb over the wall into your property

Old 05-07-2010, 08:41 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
a big ugly Shar Pei works the same way

Old 05-07-2010, 09:27 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,476,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Hawaii????
Mon cherie, Hawaii is paradise...now you stop the jfk

Old 05-07-2010, 10:59 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Mon cherie, Hawaii is paradise...now you stop the jfk
Until the trades stop...then it is south FL.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:13 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Note that over the last ten years the municipalities have banned flat block walls on the property line. Generally now a set back is required with landscaping. The planners discovered we were creating alleys of grand proportion all over town which were simply ugly.
Are those the roads that just have solid SHARED walls right up next to the sidewalk...going all the way down the road?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Are those the roads that just have solid SHARED walls right up next to the sidewalk...going all the way down the road?
The older ones do. The newer ones have a landscaped area between the wall and the sidewalk.

The wall may be shared in a tract or owned by the occupant in non tract situations. I own my wall for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: