Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:21 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,350 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone who lives in or has spent a lot of time in Lexington could tell me what options there are for people who try to buy and eat organic and locally grown foods. Is there a farmers market available daily? Are there restaurants that cater to those who prefer to eat foods that are grown and harvested nearby? What about health food stores? I'm just curious as to whether or not there is a wide market niche for people who support local farmers?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 8,750 times
During the summer there is a great farmers market in Berea at the Artisans Center right off I-75. I think it is there every Friday all day.

If there is not a farmers market in Lexington it would be a great idea. I would much rather support local farmers, especially organic farmers.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:19 PM

528 posts, read 2,480,542 times
here you go:

http://www.lexingtonfarmersmarket.com/

Old 01-02-2008, 09:16 AM

714 posts, read 1,539,038 times
Yes, there are several options for eating organic in Lexington! There is a Wild Oats store located in Lexington Green (which is located right off one of Lexington's main roads-Nicholasville Road). A Fresh Food Market located off Tates Creek Road (that is actually it's name) and there is a Farmers Market that goes on every weekend when the weather is a little warmer. The markets are located downtown and off of Southland Drive. I am sure there are more options, but that is what I know. Also, Kentucky has developed a system letting consumers know what has been produced in Kentucky.

You will see stickers that say Kentucky Proud. It is a logo in Red, White and Blue. You will see these products all over Lexington. Good Luck and I hope that information helps!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:52 AM

688 posts, read 3,038,093 times
For the size of Lexington, I think that the Farmer's Market is pretty impressive. One of the benefits of Central KY is that there are still a lot of active farming communities nearby, and a growing interest to make local foods available to the public. During most of the year, we buy almost all local produce from the farmer's market, as well as organic milk, eggs, cheeses, and organic beef, lamb and chicken in bulk from local farms. Our Christmas turkey was an organic, pasture-fed, free-range turkey from a farm just south of Lexington: Pike Valley Farm Other KY pasture-fed farms are listed here: Kentucky - Eat Wild

In addition to all of the things that others mentioned above, there are also several local farmers that do a CSA ("Community Supported Agriculture"), where you buy a share of that farm's crop across the entire growing season. Each week, you receive a basket filled with a variety of just-harvested local crops that changes each week as new items come into season. There are several in the Central KY area - one of our favorites is the organic-based Elmwood Stock Farm ( largest certified organic farm in the state): Elmwood Stock Farm . They deliver weekly to a couple of different locations in Lexington/Central KY and they always have a nice variety of offerings. Plus you can add a share of farm-fresh organic eggs, or place an order of fresh chicken, beef, etc. They also have big stand at the Farmer's Market.

There is also the Good Foods Co-op on Southland Dr in Lexington: http://www.goodfoods.coop/ which is a food cooperative that is open to the public. They offer a variety of organic produce options (many locally grown), as well as organic dairy, eggs, and meat (again, with some local options), and a decent selection of dry goods (including bulk herbs, nuts, grains, etc). There is also a health and beauty section, a small gift area, and a nice cafe that offers coffee, tea, sushi, and a great buffet with hot and cold items that change daily (lots of organic options, local meats, etc). It's not a huge place, but it is currently expanding, and they also offer classes, seminars, and meetings/activism for local farmers and organic foodies.

For dining options, be sure to consider Alfalfa's in downtown Lexington: Alfalfa Restaurant is the best meat and vegetarian place to eat in downtown Lexington, Ky. where they feature lots of local foods including several vegetarian options. There are several other locally-owned restaurants that are members of the KY Proud local foods program - you'll see that symbol on their menus or storefront, as well as on the shelves of local grocery stores.
http://www.kyagr.com/kyproud/images/KYPlogo.gif (broken link)

Also check out the nearby town of Midway in Woodford County. It is a small historic town with quite a few neat restaurants that have local foods. It is also home to the new Honest Farm, which is a farm and non-profit advocacy/support organization created by national cookbook author Susie Quick, who is often on the Food Network. http://honestfarm.org/

For a pretty comprehensive list of resources, go to Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food and put in a Lexington zip (like 40507) to bring up a huge list of local markets, farms, restaurants, etc. Hope that helps!

Last edited by nlschr0; 01-02-2008 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Added link

Old 01-02-2008, 11:28 AM

that reminds me - do you know anyone who raises buffalo? Doesn't look like Elmwood Farms does....

Old 01-02-2008, 12:15 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,093 times
Hmmm...the biggest place that I know for bison/buffalo is the KY Bison Company in Goshen (Oldham County). I think that Slone's and the Good Food's Co-op might carry their bison.

There was also a farmstand at the farmer's market that offered it, but I can't remember the name of it. I think that there are some smaller farms around - I'll see if I can find the names.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:00 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,366 times
There are several area restaurants that support local producers. One that just opened, but that I haven't tried yet, is A.P. Roots on Romany Rd. Grotto on S. Ashland buys locally as well. I'm sure there are others but these two are all that I can think of right now.
We buy our beef from a Woodford County farmer. It is by far the best beef we've ever eaten. Here is a link
http://www.kyagr.com/Main.aspx?procedure=show_page(7430 (broken link))

Old 01-02-2008, 01:40 PM

thanks, nlschr....I'll look into those places, if you know of any others I'd be interested in them.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:47 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,152 times
My neighbors, directly across the street, own a mushroom farm in eastern Kentucky and sell to the local restaurants (but not the chains who do their own thing). They are very linked in to the organic producer networks, etc., etc. and really appreciate the support they get from the restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area