Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 11:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,981 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone ,

I am very torn on the information I have come across while researching Little Rock. A lot of it has been that it have a very bad crime rate. And other information has contradicted that. Ive been on this forum a couple times but I haven't come across anything within the past couple years. So I'm wondering have things gotten worse or better in the past couple years in Little Rock ?

(A little background; I come to the conclusion that I want to from Illinois to the south somewhere and I've settled on AR. But I'm not so sure and keep second guessing my decision based on information I've read. I am a single parent and safety is my number one concern.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 12:21 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,234 times
Unless you have a job in LR, i wouldnt advice it. Anything south of the river and north of benton is a no go zone. Anything near the State fair ground is a war zone. It has spots like every other city got, but getting worst due to lot of drug dealers trying to move in after the election to smoke the dooby. Other wise stay north, conway, jacksonville, cabot are the better choices. Add another town is a no go zone is crime bluff ( pine bluff).

Old 01-28-2018, 10:07 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Unless you have a job in LR, i wouldnt advice it. Anything south of the river and north of benton is a no go zone. Anything near the State fair ground is a war zone. It has spots like every other city got, but getting worst due to lot of drug dealers trying to move in after the election to smoke the dooby. Other wise stay north, conway, jacksonville, cabot are the better choices. Add another town is a no go zone is crime bluff ( pine bluff).
I would disagree with this. The rough areas of Little Rock are south of I-630, not the river. Little Rock proper north of I-630 is quite nice. West Little Rock is also very nice.

The city did have a very high crime rate back in the 1990s and still suffers from that perception. Overall, it's better today but there are still areas to avoid.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:16 AM

57 posts, read 64,640 times
Bingo! south of the river is no bad place, neither is anything west even past Conway...south of 630 is certainly not the best for sure- nothing wrong with Cantrell west and past Shackleford west either

Old 01-28-2018, 07:05 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
O.K., each person Posting here, now or in the future, will have their own perception or experience with L.R. so I'll only Post this; this is my fourth time to live here and each time has been in a different part of town and have never had a problem. I plan, this time, to be living here through the end of my life.

As with any town, of any size, there are areas you stay out of. We came here this time from a town of 10,000 Pop and even there, there were areas to avoid.

Give us more details and we can give you more information. Without getting into personal stuff here are some info that will help us help you - do you plan to work and if so, in what occupation and how far are you willing to commute and do you have reliable transportation - do you plan to rent, buy, or lease - is recreation important to you - is social life important to you - etc.

Good luck and I'm sure happy I no longer have to make that decision. Welcome to The Natural State

Oh, and is your child school age?

Last edited by Old Fossil; 01-28-2018 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 01-29-2018, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,981 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

But to be more specific @OldFossil My child is not of school age, he will be in daycare while I'm at work. Yes, I plan on working in the production/ manufacturing area. I'm not sure how far I plan to commute right now as I do not know where I will be working. But I plan to rent probably somewhere in North Little Rock. Social and recreation I plan on exploring both

Old 01-29-2018, 03:22 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
My in laws lived in North Little Rock, near and off of Shackleford and Cantrell the past 40 years and they never had any real issues. They lived in both a town home and a single family home. My BIL and SIL lived in apartments in that area also. It's really a nice area. The hills in that area are quite steep so a lot of issues when/if the roads get icy. They don't have equipment or salt stockpiles for dealing with ice or snow, but doesn't happen often.

I think the only crime that directly effected them is MIL got her purse stolen out of her grocery shopping cart.

There are a few apartments here and there that are run down and may be issues but for the most part it is a really nice area. There are newer homes and some older maybe a little run down homes. The older ones mostly seem to be the original more rural type of home that was there before the area was developed.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 01-29-2018 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-29-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Januarybaby17 View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

But to be more specific @OldFossil My child is not of school age, he will be in daycare while I'm at work. Yes, I plan on working in the production/ manufacturing area. I'm not sure how far I plan to commute right now as I do not know where I will be working. But I plan to rent probably somewhere in North Little Rock. Social and recreation I plan on exploring both

Quite a variety of daycare available so that should be no problem. I don't know about rentals in NLR.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
My in laws lived in North Little Rock, near and off of Shackleford and Cantrell the past 40 years and they never had any real issues. They lived in both a town home and a single family home. My BIL and SIL lived in apartments in that area also. It's really a nice area. The hills in that area are quite steep so a lot of issues when/if the roads get icy. They don't have equipment or salt stockpiles for dealing with ice or snow, but doesn't happen often.

I think the only crime that directly effected them is MIL got her purse stolen out of her grocery shopping cart.

There are a few apartments here and there that are run down and may be issues but for the most part it is a really nice area. There are newer homes and some older maybe a little run down homes. The older ones mostly seem to be the original more rural type of home that was there before the area was developed.

Hey Izzie, call me "picky", but Shackleford and Cantrell are in Little Rock, not North Little Rock That is a good area.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:59 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Hey Izzie, call me "picky", but Shackleford and Cantrell are in Little Rock, not North Little Rock That is a good area.
I know I've been up and down those roads many times. I looked it up, they were off of 430, N Rodney Parham and N. Shackleford. I've driven on the Reservoir Rd. a few times, that's quite a Road. My son when he was younger called it the roller coaster road.

But you're right, it isn't North Little Rock.. I have no idea why I thought that.. Anyway, OP, if you look up that intersection in Google you can see that area, it is really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area