Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 03:31 AM

430 posts, read 556,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Such a waste to spend a fortune on furniture. Take what you save and put it in an index fund. You'll thank me is 30 years.
That is true as long as you don't buy junk that will fall apart in a couple years... like Bob's. Otherwise it will end up costing more in the long run. I'm personally just going to wait for nice used stuff to come along from now on, except for couches and mattresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 11:17 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
That is true as long as you don't buy junk that will fall apart in a couple years... like Bob's. Otherwise it will end up costing more in the long run. I'm personally just going to wait for nice used stuff to come along from now on, except for couches and mattresses.
I've yet to get anything bad there.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:39 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Just buy some lawn chairs and a couple plastic tables, put your TV on cinder blocks and eat off snack tables. cheap and cheesey at the same time.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhHell View Post
The color on the leather on Bob's couches come off. I had a set of the power reclining 3 and 2 seaters. Paint started coming off the leather where the head is on every seat in under a year.

Standard, goof proof, extended warranty. whatever its called, cover zilch. Never will I purchase from Bob's again. I was tempted to take a knife and cut the leather to see how they repair that under their warranty.
The color on my LaZBoy love seat an recliner -- which is supposed to be leather on the seats, back, armrests and foot rest -- is also coming off. It is cracking on the edges of the cushions and looks like garbage. My 'kids' were 13 and 20 when I bought the set, so it isn't as though I had a bunch of rugrats around destroying it. LaZBoy did NOTHING because it was over a year when this happened. NEVER AGAIN.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Just buy some lawn chairs and a couple plastic tables, put your TV on cinder blocks and eat off snack tables. cheap and cheesey at the same time.
Mid century dorm.

It's coming back!

Old 07-17-2018, 11:50 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,856 times
Wait, how do you guys afford furniture with the price of housing here?! I just sleep and eat on the floor of my empty house, just so I can say I live in a nice town.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,031 times
Default Do not buy anything from bob's

The salespeople at this place will LIE LIE LIE, ANYTHING to make a sale.

We purchased a $3600 leather sectional. We were told time and time again, that GoofProof covers ANY kind of accidental damage for 5 years after the sale. THAT WAS THE ONLY REASON THAT WE PURCHASED SUCH AN EXPENSIVE SOFA SET. We would have NEVER purchased ANYTHING in that store had we read all the THOUSANDS of negative reviews about BOB's, particularly about their COMMON practice by the sales staff to LIE about GoofProof plan and always say that it covers ANY KIND OF DAMAGE.
The color finish on the leather is coming off, and at this point we're sure the material is anything BUT leather. The seams on the covers come apart with the slightest bump with a vacuum, to the point that only after a year, ALL 5 sectional pieces have rips in them. My sister went to BigLots and purchased similar furniture there at LESS than 1/5th of the price and that furniture looks and feels like it did when it was new. Our $3,600 sectional looks like CRAP.

We finally filed a claim with GoofProof. The whole process from beginning to end is like pulling teeth. The GoofProof protection plan is through a very shady company (Guardian), which also sells extended warranty protection for automobile dealerships. THIS COMPANY HAS MILLIONS OF UNSATISFIED CUSTOMERS. That should have been another red flag. Guardian makes it EXTREMELY difficult to file a claim. I tried for an entire week to get through with anyone on the phone to file this claim. To sum this up, ALL the damage on the sectional SHOULD HAVE BEEN COVERED, according to the salesman and according to their own fine print; but it was of course denied.
I will be filing a lawsuit in small claims court next week, and I will update on the court proceedings so others can do the same.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,014 times
I purchased a Alpine recliner for $600 in November 2019. By June 2020 all the padding in the foot rest riser had fallen from the inside downward, leaving a flat distorted lumpy riser. the chair now looks like it's 10 yrs old. The construction is shoddy to say the least and I wish I had inspected it more carefully before purchasing. You can feel the lack of padding around the frame etc.
I have a 1 yr warranty that is not being honored because Bobs says it does not repair, replace or refund "normal wear and tear" and they do not consider this a manufacturer defect.
Buyer beware! Don't let their sweet talk, pretty looking furniture blind you to the fact that a lot of it is garbage. Look under the dining table sets and you'll see the chair bottoms have no support at all.
Shame on them for not honoring their own warranty.
They also would not let me see what the tech wrote about this problem.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:58 AM

5,515 posts, read 7,106,662 times
That's why we buy our furniture in Costco because we know we can return it 3 years later if something goes wrong.

Try doing that with Bobs or Raymour.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:07 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,931 times
we bought two pieces from Bob's for the living room five years ago. We were getting a dog, so we didn't care too much about the quality, since our last dog ruined all the furniture.
At the time we were around 60, no kids in the house anymore.
We never got the dog, but the cushions are frayed which is amazing since we hardly ever use the sofa and loveseat.
Won't go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island