Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times

Advertisements

I bought Bob's stuff. A few rooms of it and it's holding up fine. Good stuff for the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:08 PM

23 posts, read 49,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Were you at Tanger in Riverhead? I would be careful with what you buy there. We haven't had any terrible experiences, but there is an absolute final sale policy. We have purchased some items there, and everything that is there, is there for a reason. Make sure you are happy with the defects it has, because there's no backing out once you swipe your credit card.

The white bathroom vanity we bought had paint flaking from the steam from hot showers. It's nice to see that it's made of solid wood under the paint, but still, something built for the bathroom shouldn't fail like that... But we did buy it from the outlet at 70% off, so... beware.
Indeed, thank you for the heads up.

I feel like restoration hardware is a good company to buy the "imperfect" stuff you'll find at the outlets and discount centers specifically because the allure of a lot of their pieces if the imperfections (reclaimed, distressed) etc.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get it home? What i'm concerned with is the fact that these pieces are HEAVY. Do they disassemble? I know you can arrange delivery.. but since it's final sale what if it's damaged during delivery?

It's really the only thing dissuading me. There's a certain peace that comes with going to a store and having them do the "white glove" delivery thing and not having to worry.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:53 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
I bought a sofa and loveseat from Bob's about 3 years ago. Figuring with small children we didn't want to buy anything too nice... but at least wanted something that looked nice. I think it way maybe after 6 or 7 months that the fabric (chenille) started to have strings coming loose, and one of the cushions ripped at the seams. Then, a couple of months later one of my kids hopped onto the couch and the frame cracked right down the middle. We're talking a 4 year old enacting normal wear and tear and it literally cracked. My husband and I flipped it over to see of it was something we could fix ourselves, and were shocked to see how flimsy the frame was; the entire couch was supported by very light-weight pieces of wood, maybe balsam? We did what should have been a minor repair, using a drill and some 2x4 scraps to lag the slip wood back together, but the frame was so flimsy that it split again the next time we sat on the couch. And we are not big people by any means! Yeah, it was only $800, but had I known it would be at the curb after barely a year's time, I would have bought better quality in the first place.

Oh, we also bought a dining set from Bob's. I fell in love with it because it had pub-style chairs, but the table top was of horrible quality. Within a few months it started to look warped and flaky in some spots.

We ended up curbing all of the Bob's furniture when we moved, and replaced it it with cast-offs that have held up beautifully.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:48 AM

450 posts, read 385,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I bought a sofa and loveseat from Bob's about 3 years ago. Figuring with small children we didn't want to buy anything too nice... but at least wanted something that looked nice. I think it way maybe after 6 or 7 months that the fabric (chenille) started to have strings coming loose, and one of the cushions ripped at the seams. Then, a couple of months later one of my kids hopped onto the couch and the frame cracked right down the middle. We're talking a 4 year old enacting normal wear and tear and it literally cracked. My husband and I flipped it over to see of it was something we could fix ourselves, and were shocked to see how flimsy the frame was; the entire couch was supported by very light-weight pieces of wood, maybe balsam? We did what should have been a minor repair, using a drill and some 2x4 scraps to lag the slip wood back together, but the frame was so flimsy that it split again the next time we sat on the couch. And we are not big people by any means! Yeah, it was only $800, but had I known it would be at the curb after barely a year's time, I would have bought better quality in the first place.

Oh, we also bought a dining set from Bob's. I fell in love with it because it had pub-style chairs, but the table top was of horrible quality. Within a few months it started to look warped and flaky in some spots.

We ended up curbing all of the Bob's furniture when we moved, and replaced it it with cast-offs that have held up beautifully.
What is Cast-Off?
Also, you should have dropped that junk back in front of bob's store. "I'd like to return this couch"

Friends - This Couch is Cut in Half - YouTube

I also like to make a recommendation, national wholesale liquidators sell Bellona and Istikbal brand sofa-beds. They are firmer than normal couches/sofas because they have storage underneath so the cushions need to be firmer than usual, but they last long time. Our last set that we bought from Brooklyn (vinocur's furniture) in 2002 lasted without a single issue or any kind of collapse until 2012, and survived 2 major moves, and this was a section with moving parts, it had to be retired because it didn't fit in it's 4th home and poor thing was put on curb. Look into those brands, regarldess of who sells them, they are truly amazing and they last a very long time without any issues. I am considering getting a pair of them again, but I don't want that to be the reason for people sleeping over.. "hey look he got a sleeper sofa, let's crash here.." OK..

Old 06-03-2014, 07:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
What is Cast-Off?
Cast-off = secondhand

Old 06-09-2014, 07:03 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Bobs Discount Furniture is held up by the legs of the furniture.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:19 AM

34 posts, read 43,245 times
Its pretty hit or miss as far as furniture goes. Some couches are good others are bad. Their mattresses tend to be great.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:03 AM

113 posts, read 136,635 times
Be careful with their warranty. I bought a living room set in 2011 at their Woodbridge store and paid extra for their goof proof warranty which they told me would cover 5 years.

The leather is ripping on the arm of the couch and the chaise is about to collapse so I called for a technician to come and fix it. Lo and behold the customer rep tells me that my goof proof plan was only good for the 1 years of the manufacturer's guarantee. So what was the point in purchasing it? Apparently they upgraded their plan to Goof Proof Plus in 2013 which will cover 5 years.

So now I'm SOL on the couch and chaise that is falling apart. They lied to me.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:37 PM

50 posts, read 68,645 times
my mother purchased a bedroom set, 2 couch sets and they are holding up pretty well. the couches however are on the small size. other than that, quality seems fine

Old 05-13-2015, 07:36 AM

63 posts, read 125,814 times
FWIW, I had a great experience with Sweet Dreams Furniture Gallery in Coram. They have similar furniture to Raymour & Flanagan and other stores like that, but sometimes at better prices (they are very willing to negotiate, and charge a much lower delivery fee than Sleepy's or R & F), and the owner is a really nice guy. I got a Seally mattress and some Ashley furniture from there and have been very happy with it so far, although it's only been 8 months so I can't really vouch for its longevity. Slightly off-topic but I thought I'd throw in a plug for a local small business that treated me well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island