Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,554 times

Advertisements

Most retail furniture is not made anything like the old days. Sets don't last 25+ years anymore. Bob's is decent and may cut a corner or two to save money but that is to be factored in. We bought a fancy Italian set for my baby's room and it all went to crap with minimal lite use (especially the draw glides and the draw rail screws which stripped the wood). My friends paid far less for a kids set at Bob's and it is holding up better and that's with a 3 and 5 year old abusing the heck out of it.

You don't ALWAYS get what you pay for. Sometimes you get ripped off! Due diligence is the key. Know what you are getting, the relative price to value, your budget and your instinct about the quality. Then do what feels best.

That said, Raymour isn't bad either. We got a click clack sofa that is doing great and gets heavy use.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:13 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
I didn't have a very good experience with Bob's.

The loveseat is very nice looking but the experience with getting the couch to me and the effects of it after 2 years are not so good. I got my couch 2 years ago. Originally when it was put together, it was done wrong and I had to call them to come back and fix it. They sent 2 spanish-speaking guys that didn't speak one word of english. I don't have a problem with foreigners but if you are in the business of serving American customers, it would really be a big help if you knew english! Anyway so they are speaking in Spanish trying to get the damn thing together. I was with my father and we were just watching them in awe. Astounded b/c they couldn't figure out how to put it together! Eventually my father told them "adios" and that we could figure it out from there. Needless to say my father and I put the thing together ourselves. It is a nice looking couch, but the seat cushions are all messed up. One is sticking out further than the other one and I try to push it back but it keeps popping out. I live alone and I am barely 100lbs, and I don't even use the couch that much. The legs on it are these cheap plastic things. I find the quality of it to be just bad. They have nice looking stuff, but it's not the best quality.

Buy from Bob's with caution.

You do get free cookies @ the showroom though.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:34 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

The loveseat is very nice looking but the experience with getting the couch to me and the effects of it after 2 years are not so good. I got my couch 2 years ago. Originally when it was put together, it was done wrong and I had to call them to come back and fix it. They sent 2 spanish-speaking guys that didn't speak one word of english. I don't have a problem with foreigners but if you are in the business of serving American customers, it would really be a big help if you knew english! Anyway so they are speaking in Spanish trying to get the damn thing together. I was with my father and we were just watching them in awe. Astounded b/c they couldn't figure out how to put it together! Eventually my father told them "adios" and that we could figure it out from there. Needless to say my father and I put the thing together ourselves. It is a nice looking couch, but the seat cushions are all messed up. One is sticking out further than the other one and I try to push it back but it keeps popping out. I live alone and I am barely 100lbs, and I don't even use the couch that much. The legs on it are these cheap plastic things. I find the quality of it to be just bad. They have nice looking stuff, but it's not the best quality.

the lack of speaking English does not mean they do not know how to speak English.

Why did you not refuse delivery if it was obviously messed up?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:33 PM

98 posts, read 774,842 times
I got a sectional from them a while back, so far it's good....they're definitely not the best out there, but not at the bottom of the list either. I'm ok with them for the price/quality. Nowadays, nothing is made like it used to even from the best stores...

Old 06-14-2010, 05:10 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,575 times
Quote:
The legs on it are these cheap plastic things. I find the quality of it to be just bad.
FWIW, the couch I had prior came from a "better" furniture store than Bob's and cost over $1k for the chair, ottoman and sofa. The legs on all pieces were those same plastic things. And one of them actually broke, rendering the couch useless. Couldn't redrill a hole in the frame because it wasn't real wood, it was MDF...

Quality is not necessarily dictated by price or vendor these days. Even at the "high end" places you could still end up with a very expensive piece of garbage.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times
Quote:

They hire illegals too? I would be wary of using Bob's then. They were probably picked up off the street and had no knowledge of assembly.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,632 times
Quote:

Why didn't you call Bob's customer service and demand they send someone to put it together as the 1st team was not satisfactory? I would have denied delivery until they complied, which I am sure they would have. When I got my 1st delivery from Bob's 2 pieces were damaged. I insisted they take them back and send new ones. They did no problem.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
Why didn't you call Bob's customer service and demand they send someone to put it together as the 1st team was not satisfactory? I would have denied delivery until they complied, which I am sure they would have. When I got my 1st delivery from Bob's 2 pieces were damaged. I insisted they take them back and send new ones. They did no problem.
On the flip side, I have taken 2 deliveries from Bob's and nothing has ever shown up scratched, damaged, or anything. Installers, while Hispanic, were very friendly and knew exactly what to do and put together my bed frame quickly and my sleeper sofa even quicker.

My girlfriend was very reluctant about going to Bob's for furniture but after walking in and buying our two items, she wants to go back and get more.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:40 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times
They are just too many bad reviews. I definately would take a look at them before considering anything from Bob's.
There's an awful lot of people who've had bad experiences with them. From bad installations, to "goof proof" scams, and bedbugs. Don't let those cheesy commercials fool you!
Bobs Discount Furniture @ Pissed Consumer

Old 06-16-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
They are just too many bad reviews. I definately would take a look at them before considering anything from Bob's.
There's an awful lot of people who've had bad experiences with them. From bad installations, to "goof proof" scams, and bedbugs. Don't let those cheesy commercials fool you!
Bobs Discount Furniture @ Pissed Consumer
you have to remember that most people who are happy probably won't bother posting a positive review online but those who are angry will go out of their way to rant on the internet.

crv, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island