Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:55 PM

527 posts, read 1,016,383 times

Advertisements

It has nothing to do with running away - Why in the world would you pay good money for that unfair treatment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 03:06 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,753,116 times
I did speak to a lawyer today who was very nice. He felt it jsut wasnt worth pursing a case which is what I felt like anyhow but just needed to hear it.

He did say that it was a little extreme, but to document everything from here. By the way, I still havent received the new report that I should have gotten. And am also waiting for the diocese to call back ; that I think i will be waiting.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 PM

19,009 posts, read 16,824,160 times
I'm glad speaking with an attorney helped calm your mind. Keep persuing the issue with the diocese don't let them ignore you. I understand why you support your children in Parochial School, keep doing whats right foryou.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:25 PM

311 posts, read 1,015,410 times
I havent read all the posts, so maybe someone recommended this, but have you considered calling News 12? I am sure the school would not want bad publicity, but at his point they deserve it, and news stations love stories like this. It certainly wont help in the future for prospective parents who may be thinking of putting their kid in that school. Of course if you have no plans for taking him out of that school than you may not want to do that.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:52 PM

527 posts, read 1,016,383 times
Are there any other parochial schools available in your area?

Old 11-03-2010, 04:18 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,429,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I did speak to a lawyer today who was very nice. He felt it jsut wasnt worth pursing a case which is what I felt like anyhow but just needed to hear it.

He did say that it was a little extreme, but to document everything from here. By the way, I still havent received the new report that I should have gotten. And am also waiting for the diocese to call back ; that I think i will be waiting.

Glad the lawyer didn't try to fleece you out of a couple of grand for nothing. I know he said to "document" everything, but what are you documenting??? That he served his punishment? That the principal promised you a report?

You'll get a call from the diocese but it will change nothing and mean nothing. Honestly, what do you expect from the diocese?? Do you think they're going to side with you over their principal?? They won't. They can't reverse your son's punishment since he already served it. The principal already said she'd give you a copy of her new "report" --- you'll get it this week, I'm sure. So what else do you want from them? An answer as to why the sink was broken? An answer as to when it will be fixed? All that means nothing.

The ONLY thing you can do that will matter would be to tell them you're not going to tolerate this kind of crap and take your kids out of the school and put your money elsewhere. That would open their eyes very wide and then maybe they'll wake up and realize what a imbecile they have serving as principal.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:55 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,942,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astatech50 View Post
Classic example of cutting off your nose to spite your face. If you were otherwise happy with the school and had positive experiences with it, why leave just to "maybe open their eyes very wide". Your son still served the punishment. Now he has to go to a new school and get acclimated. Your lawyer's advice is wise - document everything from now forward. I would still pursue this with the diocese. Maybe they will listen. I would still meet with the principal.

Bottom line, in the scheme of things the suspension is meaningless. The question you have to ask yourself is has anything like this happened before and will it happen again. If this was not an isolated incident, then you want to get your kids out of there. If it was, I'd be more vigilant but removing your kids immediately is a ridiculous over-reaction to their ridiculous over-reaction.

????

Last I checked the kid wasn't surfing off of the sink, he was leaning on it.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,942,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astatech50 View Post
??? Where did I say otherwise? I was making the point that the punishment is over and done with.

Ah crap, my bad.

I read it as "DESERVED the punishment"

Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,581,041 times
Lets us do a comparison to see if he was leaning or sitting. Go outside to your cars and stand next to one of the front wheels. Lean against the fender near the hood. notice the wheel well goes up. Now do the same thing with your butt sitting slightly on the same area with your butt slightly on the hood (horizontal flat area) and lean again. The wheel well went down now didn't it. Why? Because you changed the exersion of force with the redistributed of your weight. So move this to the sink. If he was leaning then he would be applying a horizontal force which basically pushes the sink up against the wall. Now if he was leaning with his butt cheeks touching about a half an inch then the force changes to vertical and down. Thus pulling the sink away from the wall. So now how do you want explain it away?

Under Zero tolerance there are no accidents. Either you didn't do it or performed an action that did. So each one of you out there go read either the Rules of Conduct or Zero Tolerence rules for your perspective schools. I count three violations ( 1 minor, 2 serious) in mine just based on the facts listed in all three threads and thus the out of school suspension is 3-5 days.

As to the suspension, its done. there is no undoing it.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 11-03-2010 at 10:00 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 07:38 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,674,589 times
I will comment on this thread now...I have been on sorta on a vacation for awhile.

Your son caused damage to that sink. Was it his total fault..probably not. But this is CATHOLIC school and he was responsible to some degree. Stop being a "helicopter" parent and protecting him from the problems at school. Im not sure you have heard the absolute truth about the incendent but it does not matter. He has been punished and let it go.

This should be a great teaching point for someone in CATHOLIC school. He was persecuted like Jesus and he should take his punishment...just like JC hung on the cross for no good reason.

Don't take your kid out of school, that is a lot worse than him dealing with a 3 day suspension. Sorry he drove you nuts for those days but a lawyer is not the answer. BTW...that lawyer should have charged you a $1,000 for taking up his time on a ridiculous cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island