Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:51 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,463 times

Advertisements

Not really related to the LIRR, but of those whose short term memory doesnt fail them.
By the Sunrise Mall, Where they just built those assisted living homes were these old low slung white buildings on a heavily wooded plot. The looked like somewhat institutional. What were they?
I moved out to LI, just before they demolished them and was curious about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 04:08 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,802 times
I think it was apart of a Mental Hospital..

Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
Not really related to the LIRR, but of those whose short term memory doesnt fail them.
By the Sunrise Mall, Where they just built those assisted living homes were these old low slung white buildings on a heavily wooded plot. The looked like somewhat institutional. What were they?
I moved out to LI, just before they demolished them and was curious about them.

Many years ago , private psychiatric hospitals like South Oaks (ala "Spellbound" with Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman circa 1945 )
would have the staff live on the premises. Those were the homes of the doctors and were probably very nice in their day. There was a road underneath Sunrise to get to the hospital and you would wind up right by one of the doors so you would not have to walk outside.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-04-2010, 12:51 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Nope, the only place I was in Massapequa shooting video was in Massapequa Preserve, and that was in late September.
What were you recording there?

Old 12-04-2010, 08:15 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury
Nope, the only place I was in Massapequa shooting video was in Massapequa Preserve, and that was in late September.
I'd like to see some vids of this too JIW. Where were you by?

Old 12-04-2010, 10:10 PM

136 posts, read 492,561 times
The Amityville train station is very close to the mall. If you can't walk the whole 5-10 minutes you can always catch a cab or a bus from there.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:40 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,362 times
Over this summer, I had gone to visit my grandfather in Garden City. He was just returning from the library (practically around the corner from his house) when he encounters two Norwegian tourists (boyfriend/girlfriend in their mid 20s). They hopped off the train at Garden City (the LIRR station and library share a parking lot) and were asking him directions to Roosevelt Field Mall. He tells them the distance, realizes that they were going to walk there, and gave them a ride. Roosevelt field was an attraction for them.

And they would have thought nothing of the walk.

I've been in shopping malls around the US and Europe. And I've brought Europeas I've met from my time in Europe to the field, and he're amazed at the size and number of shops.

I am not a shopaholic...in fact I hate shopping, but when you're visiting physical shops, the FIeld is convenient. It's cheaper than NYC, and virtually all manner of what I could want are under the same roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island