Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallywed1 View Post
lol why would anybody go FROM the city to shop in any crappy long island mall
Have you ever been in Atlantic Terminal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 11:46 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Don't give them any ideas. Heard on Friday they are no longer the "biggest" commuter line (number of customers).

Who is beating them? Isn't Metro north the second largest?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:08 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Who is beating them? Isn't Metro north the second largest?
NJT is gaining ground on the LIRR , the MNRR is 4th but is gaining ground on Metra which is losing alot of riders. Will all the planned restorations in my state and infill around stations ridership is growing very fast.....i'll just get my post form another thread...

LIRR

Daily Ridership : 341,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 570,000+)
System size : 700+ mi
Stations : 124
Future upgrades / Expansions : Wading River line Restoration , Central Branch , Montauk Branch , Port Jefferson Branch Electrification , East Side Access Project

NJT Regional Rail

Daily Ridership : 330,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 750,000+)
System size : 536 mi
Stations : 162 stations
Future Upgrades / Expansions : Flemington line , West Trenton line , Cape May line , Toms River line , Freehold line , Lehigh Valley line , Philpsburg Extension of the Morristown line , Lackawanna line , Pompton line , Sparta line , West Shore line , Salem line , Penns Grove line , Millville line , Ocean City line , 5 New Transfer Stations ,more Electrification

Metra

Daily Ridership : 304,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 490,000+)
System size : 487 mi
Stations : 239
Future Upgrades / Expansions : SouthEast Service , Suburban Transit Access Route

MNRR

Daily Ridership : 287,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 420,000+)
System size : 156 mi
Stations : 120
Future upgrades / Expansions : I-287 Rail Corridor , MNRR expansion to Penn Station , Restoration of the Graham , West Shore & Beacon lines

Last edited by DarkWolf; 11-15-2010 at 12:20 AM..

Old 11-15-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
NJT is gaining ground on the LIRR , the MNRR is 4th but is gaining ground on Metra which is losing alot of riders. Will all the planned restorations in my state and infill around stations ridership is growing very fast.....i'll just get my post form another thread...

LIRR
Daily Ridership : 341,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 570,000+)
System size : 700+ mi
Stations : 124
Future upgrades / Expansions : Wading River line Restoration , Central Branch , Montauk Branch , Port Jefferson Branch Electrification , East Side Access Project

NJT Regional Rail
Daily Ridership : 330,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 750,000+)
System size : 536 mi
Stations : 162 stations
Future Upgrades / Expansions : Flemington line , West Trenton line , Cape May line , Toms River line , Freehold line , Lehigh Valley line , Philpsburg Extension of the Morristown line , Lackawanna line , Pompton line , Sparta line , West Shore line , Salem line , Penns Grove line , Millville line , Ocean City line , 5 New Transfer Stations ,more Electrification

Metra
Daily Ridership : 304,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 490,000+)
System size : 487 mi
Stations : 239
Future Upgrades / Expansions : SouthEast Service , Suburban Transit Access Route

MNRR
Daily Ridership : 287,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 420,000+)
System size : 156 mi
Stations : 120
Future upgrades / Expansions : I-287 Rail Corridor , MNRR expansion to Penn Station , Restoration of the Graham , West Shore & Beacon lines
HOLD YOUR HORSES! Where did you get this information? They are planning to restore the Port Jeff branch to Wading River? About time! What website did you get this info? Is this a wishlist or will these things be reality?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
HOLD YOUR HORSES! Where did you get this information? They are planning to restore the Port Jeff branch to Wading River? About time! What website did you get this info? Is this a wishlist or will these things be reality?
I found it in the long term LIRR plans and if you look at a satilite photo , the ROW even though they ended service back in the 30s is still intact. Same with NJT and the MNRR , it won't happen all this decade but over the next few decades.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I found it in the long term LIRR plans and if you look at a satilite photo , the ROW even though they ended service back in the 30s is still intact. Same with NJT and the MNRR , it won't happen all this decade but over the next few decades.
That's nice but i'll be dead by then.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
That's nice but i'll be dead by then.
At the Rate the LIRR / MNRR restores things compared to NJT and CT i'm sure you would be.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:18 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
At the Rate the LIRR / MNRR restores things compared to NJT and CT i'm sure you would be.
Since they will wind up being able to get fewer trains into NYC than expected. What kind of impact does Christie pulling the plug on the tunnel have on the NJT expansion plans?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:

LIRR only significant changes in my lifetime so far were the electrification to Huntington and Ronkonkoma (it should have reached Yaphank). I'm still waiting for service into the beautiful Grand Central.

MNRR has a better record. They electrified all the I-684 stations, reopened several abandoned stations as far north as Dutchess county. MNRR also provides hourly service all the way up to Poughkeepsie. That trip is further than Penn station to Riverhead. Which by the way gets about 3 or 4 trains a day and those trains were threatened to be discontinued.

I hate driving to the City and Ronkonkoma is way too overcrowded. Something has to give.

I don't know much about NJT but I did read that CT. and Mass. is starting a commuter rail in the Springfield area and it was done quickly or is near completion. Isn't there also talks about strarting a system from NYC to the Poconos? I assume that will be by NJT.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Since they will wind up being able to get fewer trains into NYC than expected. What kind of impact does Christie pulling the plug on the tunnel have on the NJT expansion plans?
It wasn't needed and the plan NJT was pushing for wouldn't have last a decade in this region. Every Rail Group that pushes for Rail restorations and expansions was dead against this , one of the groups had pressured Christie to kill it , though they never got credit for it. Christie took all the credit , and it was really the Rail Advocate Groups. So as for the Projects , most of the lines except the MOM network or Freehold / Toms River lines will go to Hoboken and not NYP. 5 of those lines are in South Jersey and will form a network into Philly / Camden.

Quote:
LIRR only significant changes in my lifetime so far were the electrification to Huntington and Ronkonkoma (it should have reached Yaphank). I'm still waiting for service into the beautiful Grand Central.

MNRR has a better record. They electrified all the I-684 stations, reopened several abandoned stations as far north as Dutchess county. MNRR also provides hourly service all the way up to Poughkeepsie. That trip is further than Penn station to Riverhead. Which by the way gets about 3 or 4 trains a day and those trains were threatened to be discontinued.

I hate driving to the City and Ronkonkoma is way too overcrowded. Something has to give.

I don't know much about NJT but I did read that CT. and Mass. is starting a commuter rail in the Springfield area and it was done quickly or is near completion. Isn't there also talks about strarting a system from NYC to the Poconos? I assume that will be by NJT.
Yea , NJT and the MNRR have added about 300 miles of New or Restored Track this past decade and Electrified at least 60 miles of trackage. The NJT line to Scranton will be built in phases , and it will be extended to Binghamton / Syracuse later on by Amtrak. A Branch form Binghamton to Elmira is also in the works. New England is really restoring alot , Mostly form Boston. The System is being restored East , North and South , CT is doing South to North , Maine is doing extensions of there Amtrak line towns fought over which line would go first , NH has plans for 2 extended lines form Mass , Vermont has plans for 2 lines , RI is building a Streetcar , Light Rail and 3 Commuter Rail lines form a statewide network. I was in GCT a few weeks ago and seems there really working fast on the ESA , however if the 2nd Avenue Subway is not completed by the time the ESA project is there will be huge system strains. I have the full list of the trackage added by 2040 to Each state.

Virginia

Current system size : 90 mi
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 116
added Miles of Diesel Rail / Intercity Rail : 517

New Hampshire

Current system size : 20
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 150
added miles of Intercity Rail : 74

New Jersey

Current system size : 570 mi
added Miles of DMU Rail : 160
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 78
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 567
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 133

Lower Hudson Valley

Current system size : 156 mi
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 185
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 78

Northeastern PA

Current system size : 0
added Miles of Diesel / Intercity Rail : 193

Southern Tier New York

Current system size : 0
added miles of Diesel : 59
added miles of Intercity Rail : 129

Upstate New York

Current system size : 460
added miles of Intercity Rail : 90

Long Island

Current system size : 700
added miles of Electrified Rail : 135

Southeastern PA

Current system size : 450
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 335
added Miles of DMU : 92
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 108

Amish Country / Harrisburg Metro

Current system size : 50
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 36
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 108
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 47

Connecticut

Current system size : 132
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 248
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 74
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 58

Massachusetts

Current system size : 368
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 270
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 102
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 342

Maine

Current system size : 40
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 200

Delaware

Current system size : 20 mi
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 249
added miles of Electrified Rail : 37

Maryland

Current system size : 187 mi
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 111
added miles of Electrified Rail : 32

Rhode Island

Current system size : 30
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 76
added miles of Diesel Rail : 49

MBTA Regional Rail

Daily Ridership : 130,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 642,000+)
System size : 368 mi
Stations : 132
Future Upgrades / Expansions : Restoration of Cape Cod , Newport / Fall River line , New Bedford line , Greenfield line , Concord line , Portsmouth / Newburyport line , Manchester / Lawrence line.... North - South Tunnel , Ayer line , Electrified lines

Septa Regional Rail

Location : Southeastern PA , Northern Delaware , and Southern Jersey
Daily Ridership : 121,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 370,000+)
System size : 450 mi
Stations : 150
Future Upgrades / Expansions : Restoration of West Chester , Reading , Allentown , Stony Branch , Newton lines ....New lines , New Hope ,
Parkersburg Extension of the Thorndale line , Newark / Boothywn line , Coatesville line , Oxford lines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island