Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:19 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times

Advertisements

Just think of it this way...some of the best universities in this country are in the hood. Yale in New Haven, USC in LA, Columbia in Harlem...

So why don't you pretend that it's a great school in a lousy area and you can be proud of your daughter.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
I went there. There were a few off campus incidents while I was going there. One of the football coaches was murdered across the street, a buddy of mine got mugged and some guy tried to carjack some chick and she ran him over. On campus is very safe, though.

The bars we went to (Fezziwigs, McHebe's) were located in the Moderator cut: language removed part of town but I think the ones that are popular now are right next to campus.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-18-2010 at 06:48 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 11:18 AM

13 posts, read 54,588 times
The campus is very self-contained, so I wouldn't worry too much about the surrounding area. Don't get all bent out of shape prematurely based on what you're reading on the internet.
I'm assuming your daughter will be living on campus. As long as she doesn't rent some dingy apartment off campus in a sketchy area, it should be fine. (With that said, many people I know actually did rent dingy places off campus and still had no problem.) Hempstead is definitely one of the grittier areas of LI, but it is nothing compared to some of the atrocious parts of NYC.
If she does attend Hofstra, you'll likely find that her biggest fear/complaints will be about not being able to find a parking spot close enough to her classes, as the campus is huge!
If you need any other particulars, feel free to send me a direct message, as I'm very familiar with the school and the area.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:30 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
its not unsafe. its not in the 100% best area either.

not that hofstra is bad, it turns out some decent graduates, but I don't see the draw to it if you're not from LI. It is expensive, for what it is, and is mainly a haven for LI students who want a school close to home. again, just my opinion.

Hofstra is just another private suburban university, which I'm sure you can find by where you live. i if your daughter has dreams of being NYC frequently and emersing herself in the culture of NY... actually be in NYC

Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 PM

14 posts, read 66,472 times
Thanks so much for all of the insight guys. Seems we have a lot more research to do. She liked the fact that Hofstra is close to Manhattan and has a great media/television production major. Hence, thinking it would provide great internships.

I'm really surprised at the general negative comments towards this school. I think we need to just visit and check it out ourselves, as we aren't ready to write it off. Believe me, we have toured some of the "higher level" schools and left totally UNIMPRESSED. I've come to the conclusion that some schools get by on name alone. There are a couple of schools where the student guides were an embarassment and had I been in charge of the admissions office, I would NEVER let someone like that represent the school for me. Oh well, the search continues...

Old 11-20-2010, 12:20 AM

325 posts, read 737,410 times
Have you looked into CUNY Hunter College or NYU Stern? If your daughter is Interested in media production either would be much wiser choices. Hunter is probably half the price of Hofstra, and your daughter will be studying under working professionals in the industry. The campuses for both schools might not be as traditional but the quality of education and networking opportunities are much better. I've worked in and around the TV production industry, and I haven't known many interns from Hofstra. I haven't known very many adjunct professors who teach there either. Most seemed to come from Hunter, NYU, Syracuse, even Brooklyn College. Hofstra just does not seem as integrated into the NYC media world. To be honest, other than the law school, I'm surprised to learn Hofstra is well regarded. Syracuse, while upstate, is an excellent production school and offers plenty of opportunities for full semesters/summers in NYC.

Last edited by h-tonian; 11-20-2010 at 12:39 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 09:48 AM

325 posts, read 737,410 times
I meant NYU Tisch (not Stern) in my previous post. Can't seem to find the edit button(?). Posting at 2.30 am isn't always the best idea!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:39 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Don't let the surrounding area dissuade you. The campus is not in downtown Hempstead, although the surrounding area is not pretty. However, on the eastern side, students still walk over to Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc. There have been campus incidents for at least 35 years, but no more than can be found on other college campuses. Keep in mind that some of America's finest colleges, such as Yale, U of P, John Hopkins, etc. are located in sketchy areas and that hasn't kept students from applying to them. The communications dept. is kind of so-so, although there is quite a list of successful actors who majored in drama at Hofstra. Lastly, it is not a quick and easy train ride to Manhattan from the campus. It is kind of a pain. Adelphi University, a stone's throw from Hofstra, has easier access into the city. While visiting Hofstra, you should also take a look at its neighboring "sister" schools, Adelphi and CW Post. There are differences, but they are all basically in the same category.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:47 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Also wanted to mention that at one time, WLIW, channel 21 had media Hofstra interns.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 AM

153 posts, read 606,432 times
Yes, as everyone stated above it is a very good school in a good area. the immediate area is nice.

There is ONE dorm which is more towards the hempstead area but the majority of it is fine. Not to mention it's about being smart. It's not like you're going to drive through hempstead and get shot lol, just dont be there 2am in the morning in the wrong place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island