Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 03:37 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times

Advertisements

To Nancy Thereader and Keeper,

I don't know if you've noticed, but I have, and Spartan185, the original poster who began this thread, hasn't responded at all. Also, they said repeatedly that they were being very restrained in their remarks. You've got a bit of a trouble maker here. Personally, I'd bar him/her from ever posting here again. They're not posting to help the LI community - just to tear it down.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:27 PM

245 posts, read 298,585 times
Default I Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
To Nancy Thereader and Keeper,

I don't know if you've noticed, but I have, and Spartan185, the original poster who began this thread, hasn't responded at all. Also, they said repeatedly that they were being very restrained in their remarks. You've got a bit of a trouble maker here. Personally, I'd bar him/her from ever posting here again. They're not posting to help the LI community - just to tear it down.
I whole-heartedly agree. This would be a wise move.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:02 AM

140 posts, read 606,267 times
"the reality boom of the 90’s and 00’s has allowed LI homeowners to exponentially inflate the price of their homes way beyond their actual value – and with little to no upkeep, renovations, or modernizing." Quote Spartan185 - I don't understand what you mean here by "the reality boom". Also it's not fair to put all the blame on 'greedy sellers'; they wouldn't have been able to get those "inflated prices" if there hadn't been plenty of buyers willing to pay them. Quote Birdrgal --

Does anyone understand that it is their government, the politics of their county, the ASSESSORS, that dictate what the value, market value, of homes are-- this is done so that the taxes can be raised. We the homeowners (and I say "home" because that is what it is, a home, not an investment or speculation, but a real home that we would love to keep in the family and pass on to our children whether they choose to remain in it or not), would rather the market value not increase so rapidly, so that as we get older and begin to live on retirement income because our bodies cannot do the work we once did, can remain in our homes and enjoy our retirement years in a familiar environment --not all retirees can afford to be snowbirds or want to move to a new and unfamiliar area out of state. Some have grown children in the area and would prefer to stay near them. We do not want our taxes to go over the roof and be three times what our mortgage was. Nevertheless, it is not the seller but the politics and assessor that dictate market value and this is what causes the unfortunate exodus -- we are priced out of our own homes and forced to move whether we want to or not. That is the unfairness and mistreatment of long time Long Islanders.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:16 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opelske View Post
"the reality boom of the 90’s and 00’s has allowed LI homeowners to exponentially inflate the price of their homes way beyond their actual value – and with little to no upkeep, renovations, or modernizing." Quote Spartan185 - I don't understand what you mean here by "the reality boom". Also it's not fair to put all the blame on 'greedy sellers'; they wouldn't have been able to get those "inflated prices" if there hadn't been plenty of buyers willing to pay them. Quote Birdrgal --

Does anyone understand that it is their government, the politics of their county, the ASSESSORS, that dictate what the value, market value, of homes are-- this is done so that the taxes can be raised. We the homeowners (and I say "home" because that is what it is, a home, not an investment or speculation, but a real home that we would love to keep in the family and pass on to our children whether they choose to remain in it or not), would rather the market value not increase so rapidly, so that as we get older and begin to live on retirement income because our bodies cannot do the work we once did, can remain in our homes and enjoy our retirement years in a familiar environment --not all retirees can afford to be snowbirds or want to move to a new and unfamiliar area out of state. Some have grown children in the area and would prefer to stay near them. We do not want our taxes to go over the roof and be three times what our mortgage was. Nevertheless, it is not the seller but the politics and assessor that dictate market value and this is what causes the unfortunate exodus -- we are priced out of our own homes and forced to move whether we want to or not. That is the unfairness and mistreatment of long time Long Islanders.
I totally disagree.........market is supply and demand. Demand was high and prices rose. Supply is high, demand is lower, prices are dropping. Its not that difficult.

The issue was that the demand was fueled by poor lending standards. LI is still in much better shape than most housing issues in America.

Long time Long Islanders gain the most from this. Many missed the boat but will still make alot of money by selling their home.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:43 AM

5 posts, read 14,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
A lot comes from the home, but also a lot from the school and how it's run by the district. I'm a teacher so I have my own opinion on this. My students in NYC don't get nearly as good of an education as those on LI, mainly because of budgeting. I have to fight to get pencils; whereas on LI, they gladly hand you tons of supplies without even asking. Just one of the many differences 2 school districts can have.
Hi Rachael, I totally agree with you regarding the NYC schools. I went through their system growing up in the city and it was so different. I have 4 family members who teach in NYC and it is a sad reality these days. It's an out of pocket experience for them to properly teach their classes However, while I was growing up in Brooklyn, the communities were comparable to LI and the families were all about the school and their children's education. Today, there are so many ethnic groups and the parents don't speak English at home. The teacher's are pressured to pass children who make little or no effort.
I find it so sad that 3 High Schools that used to be considered excellent is closing at the end of this year. Tilden, Canarsie HS and SouthShore.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:11 AM

62 posts, read 240,086 times
Quote:
I find it so sad that 3 High Schools that used to be considered excellent is closing at the end of this year. Tilden, Canarsie HS and SouthShore.
WHAT? Why? What schools are taking their places?

Incredible.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
They're turning them into smaller schools in one school, if that makes sense. Like there will be "____ school of the arts" and on another side of the school it will be something like "_____ school of businsess," things like that. They're totally separated but in the same building. It's pretty silly because it still stays a bad school.

Sorry to get off topic, just wanted to answer that person's question.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:31 PM

248 posts, read 873,361 times
He did..posting about how much he loves the Bronx..glad for him lol

Old 04-05-2008, 07:36 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Thanks for the reply LIPumpkin - I'm sure the Bronx is beautiful at this time of year!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:37 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
They're turning them into smaller schools in one school, if that makes sense. Like there will be "____ school of the arts" and on another side of the school it will be something like "_____ school of businsess," things like that. They're totally separated but in the same building. It's pretty silly because it still stays a bad school.
Sorry to get off topic, just wanted to answer that person's question.

You are 100% correct. It is just a matter of smoke & mirrors. All those fancy names and none of them mean anything. There are so few middle schools available and so many kids trying to get into them . They do not pass the entrance tests (they are only eleven years old, after all) .Most of the kids are funneled into these nightmare schools where no learning goes on and there are classes of 38 students with textbooks from the sixties . Until I threw them out, my encylopedias actually had a category called SAVAGES and another one that mentioned that someday soon , perhaps man would be walking on the moon. For real . That is how they save money, don't you know.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island