Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:46 PM

248 posts, read 873,424 times

Advertisements

JJJ...some people just relish in the general...I think choice is a many splendored thing and we all make them..I, too, appreciate that we have some trees on the Island, but not everyone sees the glass the way others do...

Old 04-11-2008, 05:09 PM

5 posts, read 11,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
What else are you excuses for human beings good for?

Don't forget: YOU LOVE LI. STAY ON LI. DON'T COME TO NEW YORK. It's icky and dangerous and has no shopping malls. Burboids clutter up my city and are only welcome as mugging victims.
Rude comment coming from a true New Yorker, That's why I left.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:11 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjamiem View Post
I've lived all over the metro area. Outside of going upstate, LI is the best nature area. Just because you want to focus on Roosevelt Field Mall doesn't mean all the state parks aren't active.

I spent a lot of time when I was young in the Bronx (family), and still do. I'd love if it was as nature-y as LI, but it's not. I'd also love if my midtown office and former apt nearby had some Central Park-like spots, but it doesn't. So I move back to LI, and yet, somehow, I'm not compelled to go to a mall. I guess I haven't drank the water long enough.
Same here, wouldn't lose any sleep if the earth opened up and swallowed every mall on LI whole. Just because they're there doesn't mean I have to patronize them....

Old 04-12-2008, 02:19 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
What else are you excuses for human beings good for?

Don't forget: YOU LOVE LI. STAY ON LI. DON'T COME TO NEW YORK. It's icky and dangerous and has no shopping malls. Burboids clutter up my city and are only welcome as mugging victims.
Get a grip, you moved there from Plainview what...a month ago? I hope you're working on that espanola and making some real life friends up there in the boogie down... but from the tone of these posts, it doesn't sound like it. Don't forget that even though the BX is lacking in commercial retailers save for fried chicken and 99 cent stores, the worlds largest open air mall is located only a few miles south across the river. Don't get it twisted, the fact that you can buy bootleg DVDs and knockoff handbags off a shopping cart outside the Apple Store does not make Manhattan a culturally vibrant experience, it only makes it (at least) on par with the worst of LI's malls in the materialistic pissing match that is constantly being waged in your head.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:33 PM

5 posts, read 11,483 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Get a grip, you moved there from Plainview what...a month ago? I hope you're working on that espanola and making some real life friends up there in the boogie down... but from the tone of these posts, it doesn't sound like it. Don't forget that even though the BX is lacking in commercial retailers save for fried chicken and 99 cent stores, the worlds largest open air mall is located only a few miles south across the river. Don't get it twisted, the fact that you can buy bootleg DVDs and knockoff handbags off a shopping cart outside the Apple Store does not make Manhattan a culturally vibrant experience, it only makes it (at least) on par with the worst of LI's malls in the materialistic pissing match that is constantly being waged in your head.
This was great, I'm literally laughing out loud. I also agree with your previous note about the malls. I'm not a mall dweller either that's for sure, I look like I'm on a mission impossible when I have to get to one store (which takes an hour to get to with the indoor mall traffic!)...people must think I'm in some sort of mall race with my daughter's stroller and dragging my son behind me, I almost break out in hives from the stress of getting in and out!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:24 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Unhappy You've got that right

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan185 View Post
Long Island. The following review is written with great restraint for there is little to nothing appealing about Long Island, NY. I am native New Yorker, born in Brooklyn, raised in Manhattan. After earning my Ph.D., I accepted a faculty position at a university on Long Island. I spent 3 years living on Long Island searching for a job outside of Long Island. I have since relocated off Long Island and am very happy. The following are my cautions for living on Long Island.

Cost of Living. Long Island, NY is grossly over-priced in all categories (i.e., taxes, food, home goods, property, housing, education, etc.). There are two socio-economic brackets on Long Island – the poor/lower income and the wealthy/upper income. The middle class ($60,000 – $120, 000 annual household income) cannot afford to live with dignity, plan a family, or dream of building a reasonable savings account when living on Long Island. In fact, over the last few years, the New York Times has been reporting about the fleeing middle-class of Long Island – check its archives.

Housing for Purchase. The average cost of homes on Long Island is 30% - 50% above their actual value. Many of the people who own homes on Long Island are natives who inherited their homes from deceased relatives at well-below market price. Others bought their homes in the 70’s and 80’s at a relatively fair price with the intentions of raising a family in the suburbs while remaining in close proximity and easy access to New York City’s culture, business, and entertainment. However, the reality boom of the 90’s and 00’s has allowed LI homeowners to exponentially inflate the price of their homes way beyond their actual value – and with little to no upkeep, renovations, or modernizing. If you really pressed me for the truth, I would tell you that most of the homes are major crap-fests where homeowners, using substandard and/or illegal workmanship, add-on rooms, bathrooms, etc. in a disgusting attempt to inflate the price of their homes. A person with middle-middle to upper-middle income cannot afford decent living in Nassau County. As for Suffolk County, you can afford decent housing if you are willing to live 50+ miles east of the county line, thus making any commute to work a drastic hardship (1.5 – 3 hours commute one-way by car or rail).

Housing for Rent. Too bad to be believed. Lots of illegal apartment and homes for rent. Do not try to rent with a pet. Renters will try to make you feel that they are doing you a favor by renting their ****-hole to you – and they will make you pay. Legal apartments and newer apartment developments are grossly over prices because property managers know how difficult it is to find decent housing on Long Island. Expect to pay $1,100 - $2,000 per month to rent an illegal or substandard apartment in Nassau or Suffolk County. Expect to pay $1,800 – $3,000+ per month to rent an apartment with modern amenities (dish washer, laundry, 1+1/2 – 2 baths, 2 bedrooms, parking). At these rental prices, I would recommend you purchase a home rather than rent, but as you read earlier in my review, purchasing is nearly impossible.

Moderator cut: racist remarks

Traffic & Getting Around. Congested and impossible to get anywhere. The Long Island Railroad (LIRR) is only good for getting you to New York City and back to your LI town. Forget about using LIRR to traverse the island itself.

My Suggestions. Avoid living and working on Long Island at all costs – unless you enjoy subjecting yourself to narrow-minded racists who are looking to make a buck off of anything with a heartbeat. Please note that I was very, very restrained in my critique.
I came on this board today to vent. I was raised here. I made the mistake of buying a home in 2005 and now am desperately trying to hold onto it after sinking so much into it. I'm in tears and at my witts end. Long Island is stranging me, strangling my husband even more and ruining our marriage. We ahve NO Quality to our life, Every day is just loaded with stress of how to pay this and how to pay that. Husband works NON STOP.. I'm TRYING to both take care of my son and do something to bring in some income.. becasue child care costs here are prohibitive at best.

In addition, every day I pick up the paper and yet another story of scumbags that are lying and cheating us contributing to our already ridiculous taxes that I know goes to waste. Can't live here.. but right now can't go anywhere else because we have our business here that is barely keeping us afloat and NO money saved to make a move outside of NY with a small child.

It's depressing.. and I feel sometimes completely hopeless about the situation. Trying tostay positive.. I"ve always been a positive person.. but lately.. it's getting harder.

And the people on LI are worse! They are snobs who think that LI is the be all end all. They ridicule those ina mortgage mess because of "trying to keep up wiht the Jones's" and accuse all of them of living in McMansions..huh? We're not the land of McMansions. Yet, goon Newsdays forums and then they call anyone they think is living in a Mastic or someplace like that "white trash" because their house isn't as "nice" as theirs or whatever. Why put down people for trying to live and livign in what they COULD possibly afford here.. which even the worse neighborhoods have become out of reach!

I've had it with this place.. Both brothers and my mother have left.. We 're the only ones left and we're trapped! Long Island is a hell hole.. a big money pit that the rest of the country.. heck the rest of NY State , politicians, school administrators and lawyers think is one big ATM Machine!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:19 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
Default Keep plugging away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I came on this board today to vent. I was raised here. I made the mistake of buying a home in 2005 and now am desperately trying to hold onto it after sinking so much into it. I'm in tears and at my witts end. Long Island is stranging me, strangling my husband even more and ruining our marriage. We ahve NO Quality to our life, Every day is just loaded with stress of how to pay this and how to pay that. Husband works NON STOP.. I'm TRYING to both take care of my son and do something to bring in some income.. becasue child care costs here are prohibitive at best.

In addition, every day I pick up the paper and yet another story of scumbags that are lying and cheating us contributing to our already ridiculous taxes that I know goes to waste. Can't live here.. but right now can't go anywhere else because we have our business here that is barely keeping us afloat and NO money saved to make a move outside of NY with a small child.

It's depressing.. and I feel sometimes completely hopeless about the situation. Trying tostay positive.. I"ve always been a positive person.. but lately.. it's getting harder.

And the people on LI are worse! They are snobs who think that LI is the be all end all. They ridicule those ina mortgage mess because of "trying to keep up wiht the Jones's" and accuse all of them of living in McMansions..huh? We're not the land of McMansions. Yet, goon Newsdays forums and then they call anyone they think is living in a Mastic or someplace like that "white trash" because their house isn't as "nice" as theirs or whatever. Why put down people for trying to live and livign in what they COULD possibly afford here.. which even the worse neighborhoods have become out of reach!

I've had it with this place.. Both brothers and my mother have left.. We 're the only ones left and we're trapped! Long Island is a hell hole.. a big money pit that the rest of the country.. heck the rest of NY State , politicians, school administrators and lawyers think is one big ATM Machine!

Don't let Long Island destroy your life. If you really want out, then do it. Why can't you just relocate your business. What kind of business is it?

You are actually in a better position to move then most people. Most small towns around the country would welcome you if you open up a business in their area. When people go to relocate they will find themselves in competition with the locals for jobs. This causes friction sometimes, but if you are bringing something it will be appreciated.

Just be aware that everyplace is basically the same except for the weather, housing costs, population density and the type of people in a given area. I've lived in three states, a big city, suburbs and a small town and people are essentially the same everywhere.

I hope everything works out. Best of Luck...

Old 04-13-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Don't let Long Island destroy your life. If you really want out, then do it. Why can't you just relocate your business. What kind of business is it?

You are actually in a better position to move then most people. Most small towns around the country would welcome you if you open up a business in their area. When people go to relocate they will find themselves in competition with the locals for jobs. This causes friction sometimes, but if you are bringing something it will be appreciated.

Just be aware that everyplace is basically the same except for the weather, housing costs, population density and the type of people in a given area. I've lived in three states, a big city, suburbs and a small town and people are essentially the same everywhere.

I hope everything works out. Best of Luck...

It's not really a brick and mortor type of business. It's one where you have to build up "contacts" and get to know people to go to with the stuff you have to sell etc. It would literally be starting all over again..which we dont' mind.. but we would have to live off something in order to do that.. but we have nothing to live off of.. LI has sucked up our savings and now we're treading water.. and swallowing a lot of it..if you get my meaning!

Just having a bad day I guess!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 12:29 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
It's not really a brick and mortor type of business. It's one where you have to build up "contacts" and get to know people to go to with the stuff you have to sell etc. It would literally be starting all over again..which we dont' mind.. but we would have to live off something in order to do that.. but we have nothing to live off of.. LI has sucked up our savings and now we're treading water.. and swallowing a lot of it..if you get my meaning!

Just having a bad day I guess!!!
Sorry you are having such a rough time of it.
Have you thought about giving up your business and getting regular jobs off of LI? The business is obviously not making enough to support you on LI anyway.
What about renting out your home until you have some equity in it, then sell?
Even if you have to rent it for less than the mortgage, its better to have to come up with some money to put towards the mortgage, than the whole mortgage. You could move out of state, rent a 2 bedroom apartment and start over. Sorry if none of this is feasable, you just seem like you are in a really rough place.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Sorry you are having such a rough time of it.
Have you thought about giving up your business and getting regular jobs off of LI? The business is obviously not making enough to support you on LI anyway.
What about renting out your home until you have some equity in it, then sell?
Even if you have to rent it for less than the mortgage, its better to have to come up with some money to put towards the mortgage, than the whole mortgage. You could move out of state, rent a 2 bedroom apartment and start over. Sorry if none of this is feasable, you just seem like you are in a really rough place.

Well. I thought about getting a job outside of the busines.. You want to know the SAD part.. the busines brings in more money than I would make at a full time job. I could work as an administrator etc.. at what.. maybe 30 - 40K.. not bad right.. BUT on LI .. that is abysmal.

My husband could stay working in the business..but would then loose me helping him with it and it would require us to hire an employee.. which we wouldn't hire on the boosk because we couldn't afford to pay someone to work on a salary that wuold be able to support them AND give them the benefits like insurance.. plus all the taxes and the unemployment insurance.. add nauseum.

I haven't gotten a full time job up to this point because working that job would realy only net me maybe $200 a week after paying for my sons childcare and taxes. Yes.. I'd hae the insurance benefits which I then wouldn't have to pay for myself.. but still wouldn't amount to enough to actually help with the bills and would be countered by the person we'd have to hire to take the place of what I do for our business.

Mother in law is here from Europe..so I will go get a waitressing job..becasue now I dont' haev tow orry about childcare. My husband couldn't be depended on for childcare before at odd hours becaues he is ALWAYS busy .. always working.. .. my little waitressing job will cover the small bills and give some relief.. but NOT enough relief.

I've thought through every possible scenario here.. and have come to the conclusion that staying on LI was a HUGE mistake. Whatever made me think that I could raise a family here. Yeah.. both of us could work like dogs just to survive.. but then I'd never get to see my kids at all. As it is my husband hardly gets to see him.

Yeah..I am in a bad place right now.. just the stress of it all gets to you you know. And we don't make LITTLE money..we make pretty good money at our business.. CERTAINLY more than middle income in teh U.S. Anywhere else thigns would be great.. but here on LI .. forget it.. even at $100K a year you're struggling

Ilive in a small levitt house 1100 square feet.. hardly living high on the hog.. and I don't really care too. I just want to live peacefully with some sense of security and without the stress.. a nice modest house.. no mcmansion with lots of expensive toys.

I guess I'm just havign a bad day.. some thing I see mto have more and more these days. LI is getting to me.. the cost of living.. and I hate to say this but the people..

And sick of reading how there is so much corruption in our gov't and people getting rich with perks off of the backs of people like me and all of us Li'rs.. just disheartening..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island